TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

Help A Computer Illiterate Retard

I have a laptop and I pretty much have it set up like a regular comp on my desk, getting the internet through a cable modem...when I got this comp, it came with a "Hi-Speed Wireless-G Cardbus Adapter (the laptop was a hand me down)...now how do I use this Wireless Adapter? There's a slot where my ethernet cable hooks into, I pull that component out and place this wireless card into the slot, but where do I go from there? Do I have to DL something? Install something? Pay for a wireless subscription? I don't have instructions on how to use this thing and I can't seem to DL the PDF file from the manufacturer's website (Hawking Technology)...basically, I have this card and I have no idea what do with it. Help me and start from square 1...thanks in advance!

Guest Vitamin X

Well, what you should probably do next is get a wireless-G router, and have that connect to your cable modem in order for it to work so you can use your laptop wherever you please and still get internet.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think using laptops as simple desktop replacements is kind of a waste of money.. The whole point is portability, not power. That's why I'm saving up for the 13" Macbook than the other folks who are going for the 17-20" behemoths.

Also, don't listen to your high-speed provider giving you some b.s. about charging for wireless internet or a static ip.. those are things you can easily set up yourself and maintain for free. It's amazing the things they get away with charging people.

EDIT: Going here will give you what you're looking for.

well, the laptop is a temporary thing until I get an actual desktop...I didn't buy it, it was given to me...I got rid of my desktop almost 4 years ago, got this thing last year until my poor ass can get an actual desktop.

anyway, I was thinking more for like when I travel...can I use just this card or do I need more?

Guest Vitamin X
well, the laptop is a temporary thing until I get an actual desktop...I didn't buy it, it was given to me...I got rid of my desktop almost 4 years ago, got this thing last year until my poor ass can get an actual desktop.

Ah, okay.. that makes sense then. Laptops are usually more expensive than desktops, and far less upgradeable, which was where I was going with my line of thinking.

anyway, I was thinking more for like when I travel...can I use just this card or do I need more?

You can use just the card, but you'll probably need a WiFi subscription.. T-Mobile has their hotspots (like at Starbucks, Borders, and other places) and Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular all have high speed cell wifi networks that work anywhere they have coverage, although those data plans cost about as much as regular internet access so it's not really economical.

alright, i found the info i needed...thanks VX

No prob.

How do you set up your connection with wireless to be secure? Just hooked myself up with wirless internet, and not sure on how to go about doing this. I also lack of the computer smarts. Any help is appreciated.