TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
super_tigris

A man becomes 'Iron'

The dark room is lit by one small lamp above the ring where the young American boy stands, centerfold, and taking in his surroundings. He looks down at his arms, sculpted, and turned into tools of his using, tools of his trade. He clinches his fist, white knuckles standing out over the black tape that masks the majority of his fist. He lifts it, smiling, and then drops it, turning to his other appendage and viewing its progress as well.

“You’ve smoothed out,” the voice of one, Mr. Kobe, is made present in the silence, “With time come the abilities to carry yourself – your arms have turned to wings that will aid your flight. I can only teach you so much, it’s time to learn from your peers, learn from yourself, and sculpt into the great warrior I know you will become. And that can only be learned from first person experience.”

Though hidden in the shadows, Kobe’s voice makes him more present than the sweltering heat inside the dojo. The young man looks to his right and there, standing also hidden in the shadows, is what is to be his training partner – the Divine Wind.

“Show me what I know you know. Make him taste defeat. Take his wings from him.”

The jeering comment seemingly inspires Kaibatsu, who stands in front of the ring now. He steps forward a foot more and then climbs up and onto the apron, facing a young man who has become like a brother to him.

“I’m not ready,” the young man shouts, “I can’t beat him.”

“Then all you have to do is survive.”

The noises of grunts and slams urge their way out of the ring. The moves echo the empty room, marking the walls with the anxiety of defeat. Minute after minute, second after second, each waking moment sends the pain of the realization that he’s not better through his body. It’s the same depressing feeling from before, an emptiness that’s not satisfied until overcome and filled. The young man takes his punishment, learning to hold himself higher, his chin turning to stone as every strike lands yet misses, the punishment he learns to take. One more hard shot is landed, sending him to his knees, the weakness turning to a hatred that propels him through the pain and the suffering that oozes from each blow dealt out by the man he viewed as a brother. He takes a knee, looks up, and in his eyes he sees the better man standing before him. Inside he feels his tolerance building, becoming ever stronger within. Slowly, but surely, he feels himself caring less and less, becoming simply ‘Iron’, as he turns his spite and hatred into energy he uses to outlast.

Sign in to follow this