TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Meet Nuke Laloosh!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday...2&fext=.jsp

Great expectations and the pressure that goes along with them have been a part of Jason Neighborgall's young life since he was a sophomore at Riverside High School in Durham, North Carolina.

That's when he began to show the ability to consistently throw his fastball in the mid-to-upper 90s for strikes, along with a wealth of off-speed and breaking pitches.

But the teenaged baseball sensation is blessed with much more than just a great arm, says his high school coach David Norman.

"Obviously, Jason's gotten a tremendous amount of attention from scouts and college coaches who are drooling over his right arm," Norman said. "But he's got the whole package. He's probably the fastest kid in our school. He can throw, hit, hit for power. He's hit some balls out in games and in batting practice that show Major League power. He's got a tremendous amount of natural, God-given ability."

It was the spring of 2000 when Neighborgall starting popping catchers' mitts and scouts' eyes with a fast ball topping out in the mid-to-upper 90s. He finished that season with a remarkable 97 strikeouts and two no-hitters.

"I've tried to work very hard and dedicate myself to the sport and to getting better all the time," says Neighborgall, who compiled a 16-4 high school record, with a 1.69 ERA. "I've had some great coaching and instruction and I've had great players behind me in the field who have really helped me get to where I am."

"I'm personally rooting that he gets drafted by a National League team so that he gets to swing at a couple of pitches," Norman said. "He's certainly a talent and I think if someone were to say, 'Jason, we want to make you a center fielder,' he could put down his throwing mentality and work at it and he's a legitimate pro prospect as a position player as well."

Neighborgall was forced to deal with adversity in his junior year, as a strained back kept him on the sidelines the entire season.

Standing 6'5" and weighing 195 pounds, the right-hander has spent the better part of his high school baseball career towering over the opposition. Norman has no doubts that his pitcher will carry his game to the next level.

"He's certainly got more than one tool, which is why I think he's rated as high as he is," he said.

The question is not whether Neighborgall will go in the upper rounds of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft on June 4. It's how high will he go. Some scouts and observers have projected Neighborgall good enough to become the first right-hander selected.

Neighborgall could always decide to turn down the bonus money and remain an amateur for the time being.

If Neighborgall attends college, it will be at Georgia Tech. The school that signed Neighborgall has also produced stars such as Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Varitek, Kevin Brown and Jay Payton.

Every parent who has a son or daughter with the talent of Jason Neighborgall is going to watch over his or her interests very carefully. Roger Neighborgall is no exception. However, Jason's father has one added advantage - he's enjoyed athletic success before.

"It's going to all come up quickly," says the elder Neighborgall, who was a quarterback at Duke University between 1972-75. "And it's going to go by so fast. Just go with it and enjoy it. That's all I can really tell Jason.

"Right now, it's important for anyone in Jason's position to keep everything in perspective," adds Roger. "Whatever's going to be is going to be. If he goes pro, there are positives to that and if he goes to Georgia Tech, there are positives to that. I've told him, whatever he does, just don't get anxious about any decision. He's got the time to make the right one."

Choosing between a leading national college baseball program and a pro career may seem to be every high school player's, and parents, dream. But Roger will be quick to remind his son that he shouldn't be disappointed if he's not drafted by a particular team or in high-ranking spot.

"In many, many ways, it's all out of his control," says Roger. "He's got to remember that, too. Different teams are going to have different needs. One club may be looking at a lefty or a catcher. I think he'll keep that in mind."

Come June 4, many thoughts will be racing through the mind of 18-year-old Jason Neighborgall. But he feels confident he will maintain his perspective through it all.

"I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in and I know that," says Neighborgall of his pending choice between college and the pros. "I've been blessed. I'm very comfortable with where I am right now and whatever happens, happens."

That was four years ago, prior to the 2002 MLB Draft. He demanded a high draft bonus, the Red Sox took him in the seventh round, but he declined and went to Georgia Tech instead. Then as a sophomore, his control completely deserted him. Neighborgall was drafted though by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the third round of last year's draft. Baseball America referred to him as "the ultimate high-risk, high-reward player....He's one of the few pitchers in the game with two pitches (fastball and slider) that earn 70 or better raw grades on the 20-80 scouting scale."

So how bad is his control? Check out his pitching line so far this season.

0-2, 21.09 ERA, 10.3 IP, 9 H, 1 HR, 38 BB, 12 Ks, 20 wild pitches

This is a step back for Neighborgall, who only walked 45 batters in 23 innings last year.