TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

That's a good deal, but mail in rebates? C'mon, what is this, 1982?

You say that like you havent seen a Best Buy/Circuit City circular in about 25 years either. The RS price was I think $39 with a $20 rebate. Ive never had problems with rebates before, so I dont understand why people are so against them.

Circular? A flyer? I don't read those. Besides, snail-mailing something for me would take about as long as it took you to get your friggin' Wii online.

You do realize a lot of places have online rebates right? In fact, most of Staples rebates are online only and you dont have to clip any upc codes or send any receipts. This is the way most rebates are going, and you get money back in 6-8 weeks instead of 6 months.

I sent my Sprint Rebate via mail but also registered it online back in the beginning of August for $50 on my EVDO modem and I got the money back at the end of September.

News to me. Whenever I hear about rebates it's on my receipt and it usually says to mail it in. Nothing about doing it online. Guess it depends where you shop.

New Virtual Console releases, per Wikipedia:
  • Golden Axe III (Genesis, 800 pts)
  • Lunar Pool (NES, 500 pts)
  • Ninja Jajamaru-kun (NES, 600 pts)
I like the idea of unreleased NA content as much as the next guy, but rarity does not equate quality; there might be a reason that Golden Axe III never made it stateside outside of a Sega Channel download. And I'm not even going to ask about the Ninja game, which apparently was launched on the VC to commemorate Ninja Week for the Hanabi festival in Japan. Finally, there's Lunar Pool, which is the only game here that saw an American release - it's a diversion for about 15 minutes, at the most.

I can't ever foresee any regular VC release ever trumping Urban Champion Week as the worst ever, but this round of crap makes a strong case for placement as #2 on the list.

If there's one Japanese game I'd like to see on the VC, it would be Alien Soldier. You guys might've played it if you had the Sega Channel back then.

Air Zonk: Rockabilly Paradise sounds like a good pick-up for the title alone. Wikipedia has it listed as "October" and since next Monday is the last Monday in October, I assume it's coming out then.

Im browsing the games for VC and comparing to scores/reviews online and I have to say that its sad that for the most part there have been more "must download" VC games than "Must buy" games at retail..

Im also gonna have to get more points cause 2000 just isnt enough.

Im browsing the games for VC and comparing to scores/reviews online and I have to say that its sad that for the most part there have been more "must download" VC games than "Must buy" games at retail..

Considering what they have to choose from to put on the service, it would be sad if there weren't more great VC games than Wii games. XBLA may have original games along with the sometimes-questionable-quality ports, but the appearance of a must-buy title is a bit rarer.

However, if you already own the games in cart form it's usually not worth it to get it.

Andrew will probably be able to answer this, but why aren't there Saturn or Dreamcast games on the VC? Is it because they weren't on cart?

Andrew will probably be able to answer this, but why aren't there Saturn or Dreamcast games on the VC? Is it because they weren't on cart?

Andrew has said in the past that Sega doesn't know how to emulate Saturn games because the machine's architecture is too complicated. That's why Sonic R in the Sonic Gems Collection is a port of the PC version, for example.

As for Dreamcast, the Wii hardware isn't THAT much more powerful than the DC, so it would be kind of hard to emulate. I remember once when the possibility of DC games on the VC was raised Andrew was all OF COURSE YOU CAN EMULATE DREAMCAST ON WII BECAUSE THEY PORTED SONIC ADVENTURE 1 AND 2 TO GAMECUBE but that's CRAZY TALK because those were ports that actually cost money to develop and the whole point of the Virtual Console is to put out shovelware rereleases of ancient games without incurring any development costs except to translate menus in Sin and Punishment*.

On top of that, there's the issue of disc size. Most DC games (and some Saturn games) were larger than the flash memory on the Wii. So without a hard drive, it just couldn't work.

Impossible Mission was actually announced for a Wii Ware remake. But I do recall C64 being announced for the VC and nothing has come of it at all.

*Since nobody has posted this, I feel I should: Treasure considering a Sin and Punishment Wii sequel

I remember once when the possibility of DC games on the VC was raised Andrew was all OF COURSE YOU CAN EMULATE DREAMCAST ON WII BECAUSE THEY PORTED SONIC ADVENTURE 1 AND 2 TO GAMECUBE but that's CRAZY TALK because those were ports that actually cost money to develop and the whole point of the Virtual Console is to put out shovelware rereleases of ancient games without incurring any development costs except to translate menus in Sin and Punishment*.

Yeah, I was wrong.

However, you make me sound like some sort of shouting albino gorilla. In retrospect that was undoubtedly quite incorrect, but it was an assumption based on my deep belief in Sega's profound half-assing. I refused to belief they'd have done so many ports (SA1 and 2, Skies, PSO, Crazi Taxi, etc.) without essentially dumping the code and a middleman program. King of similar to Bleemcast, for example. I was rather ignorant of the nuts and bolts of emulation at the time, i.e. the 10:1 rule of thumb. That means that the system has to be at least 10 times as powerful as the console being emulated to make it run extremely well. The 360 is damn close to 10x the Xbox, but not close enough that they can write a single emulator and call it a day. With the Wii's main processor only 4x the speed of the Dreamcast, straight up emulation is unlikely or impossible.

Emulation of DC on 360 and PS3 should be extremely feasible. I'm not sure about the logistics of multi-cores for emulation, but each PS360 processor core runs at 3.2GHz vs. the single-core DC's 200MHz.

However, I found it really interesting that Treasure actually worked on the Virtual Console version of Sin and Punishment.

The all caps thing is just something I do in lieu of quotes from time to time. I wasn't trying to make you look dumb or anything.

In the case of the Sonics and PSO, wasn't it just that Naka liked the Cube the best out of the three systems?

The all caps thing is just something I do in lieu of quotes from time to time. I wasn't trying to make you look dumb or anything.

In the case of the Sonics and PSO, wasn't it just that Naka liked the Cube the best out of the three systems?

I think it was, at least for the Sonics, more the perception that the games would be better sellers, demographics-wise, on GC than Xbox or PS2; a perception that was confirmed with terrible/mediocre sales for later (also terrible/mediocre) multi-platform Sonic titles.

And since I had originally posted that about the Saturn, GameTap's got Saturn emulation working in a very limited capacity. We're still a far way from playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on it, it appears. Plus it hasn't been updated much/often (Virtua Fighter 1 is *coming*; whoopie!).

The Magic Box has news on some new Wii games:

Remember the old arcade game Crazy Climber? No? Well, it's getting a Wii sequel.

ccw01.jpg

Also, Namco is bringing a new installment of the Family Stadium (refashioned in the U.S. as RBI baseball) to Wii, and will also be releasing "Family Jockey" and "Family Ski".

And also, which Gamecube game will Nintendo (allegedly according to EGM) be releasing a Wii sequel to?

431px-Geistbox.jpg

GET FUCKIN' READY

HAHAHA!!

The first and only M-rated Nintendo-developed title...and also a pretty crappy one.

If Nintendo Software Technology is working on it, it'll be quite puzzling due to H.A.M.M.E.R. being canned and "resources shifted" towards casual games. The concept is a solid one, though. I hope it's true *IF* they can make the sequel really good. If Nintendo begins making a few Mature titles here and there it should give them some high-profile exclusives with wide appeal. I really wanted to like Geist, but it didn't like me.

However, this basically confirms that Nintendo *has to be seriously considering* a new Kid Icarus. Geist?! Really, now?!

Maybe Halo 3's effect on 360 sales made Nintendo realize that Reggie's statements about H3 were utterly moronic.

Oh, Spore is confirmed for the Wii along with the previously-announced PC and DS releases.

Source: Will Wright, bitch!

Spore's been confirmed for Wii for a while, hasn't it? At least that's what I thought.

And Geist wasn't made by NST, it was n-Space.

Spore's been confirmed for Wii for a while, hasn't it? At least that's what I thought.

And Geist wasn't made by NST, it was n-Space.

No, the Wii announcement is new (it went up on the major sites today), but people were expecting a Wii announcement because Will was blabbing about the Wii for almost half of the last year. He's a borne-again Nintendo fanboy now, and EA getting major sales out of Wii titles certainly doesn't hurt, either.

I stand corrected on both points then. That leaves Geist as only Nintendo-published, but still a distinction you don't see on many (any?) M-rated games. I think Wikipedia is where I saw it referenced as an NST project, likely fixed up since. That doesn't exactly give me any added confidence in a sequel's quality, though.

It's quite plausible that the rumor is true, because n-Space did announce they were working on a Wii game but didn't yet confirm what it was. If it's indeed Geist 2, they're probably holding off announcement until they have an impressive build of it, so they can quickly convince game mags/sites to forget Geist's quality issues.

Oh man I just played Mario Galaxy at Gamestop and it is SOOOOO awesome. Game of the freakin' year although I haven't played any of the other games that everyone would suggest for that designation, like Halo 3 or Bioshock or High School Musical: Makin' the Cut.

That game would have totally been worth it just for the testicle ripping.

Why was the second enemy in the video dressed like a member of Demolition?

No idea. According to the plot he's apparently killing mostly other inmates and guards I guess, but there are some victims there that seem like the masked guys that were trying to kill you in MH1. Of course, online plot summaries may not be revealing everything about the game, but it doesn't seem they're reprising that slant on things.

That game would have totally been worth it just for the testicle ripping.

Why was the second enemy in the video dressed like a member of Demolition?

Apparently they're part of an S&M gang called the Pervs.

Oh man I just played Mario Galaxy at Gamestop and it is SOOOOO awesome. Game of the freakin' year although I haven't played any of the other games that everyone would suggest for that designation, like Halo 3 or Bioshock or High School Musical: Makin' the Cut.

This may be premature as I haven't played Makin' the Cut, but having played Halo 3 and Bioshock, agreed. :P

Reviews are beginning to roll in for Manhunt 2.

Apparently, it's a piece of ****. It also lacks what little charm the original had. However, IGN's review could have been worse.

Seems like it's on a strictly "did you *really really* like MH1?" basis.

That 1up reviewer is way off. Sounds like they have a chip on their shoulder about something here. I haven't had any of the control problems, nor do I find myself missing the executions by glancing over to see what motion to make next. Sounds like someone can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time over there. :P