TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Brandon

So I'm buying a laptop...

I plan on buying a laptop in the very near future. Problem is I have no idea about specs and stuff of that nature. I have also been wanting to replace my old tube tv with something more up to date. While shopping online I ran across this little jem: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5078905

My question is if this is worth the money (I also get 10% off as a Walmart employee)?

Any suggestions on a good priced laptop would be appriciated.

It all depends on what you're going to use the laptop for - business, gaming, browsing - and what sort of budget you're looking at.

I use a Dell Latitude 110L, which is basic-of-basics. Good for browsing (yes) and vidding/editing (barely) but when it comes to gaming... not so much. 40gb for one thing, and Intel Integrated graphics for another. I've no problems with programs crashing, though with ripping from dvds for editing purposes, I very quickly run out of space. Aside from that, I recommend it.

Couldn't tell you a price, though; I got mine from school via loans.

I dunno. I have issues with buying computers (or any electronics) from places like Wal-Mart.

I bought my Toshiba 17" widescreen desktop replacement laptop straight from the manufacturer and I've never had a problem, and their service program is great. Best piece of equipment I've bought aside from my MacBook.

Also: stay away from Dell.

I dunno. I have issues with buying computers (or any electronics) from places like Wal-Mart.

Well normally I wouldn't buy from Wal-Mart but the 10% off is too good to pass up. And I deffinitely don't want to spend over 1000 bucks. I just need something that I can take to college and play a few movies or low end games on.

What is so bad about Dell? Their customer service kinda sucks, but aside from my fucking up in the registry, I've never had a problem with this laptop.

I just need something that I can take to college and play a few movies or low end games on.

My Latitude does that perfectly. ...Well, define "low end" ;) I have no problems playing Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption, for instance, but Bloodlines? Forget it -- way out of my poor video card's league. To use a more recent example, I was also able to play "Indigo Prophecy", the demo of it, but I'm not sure how the comp would handle the full game. On the upside, games like "Still Life", "Syberia 1 & 2", and "Post Mortem" play without a problem.

I plan on buying a laptop in the very near future. Problem is I have no idea about specs and stuff of that nature. I have also been wanting to replace my old tube tv with something more up to date. While shopping online I ran across this little jem: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5078905

My question is if this is worth the money (I also get 10% off as a Walmart employee)?

Any suggestions on a good priced laptop would be appriciated.

I'd avoid getting the Walmart one. Even with the discount it doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. Check Circuit City or Best Buy for some sales.

As far as Dell, I've owned 3 laptops and 4 desktops none of which had any problems. They're worth looking into if you only need a basic system.

What is so bad about Dell? Their customer service kinda sucks, but aside from my fucking up in the registry, I've never had a problem with this laptop.

Why don't you type that into google and find out.

It's not Dell's fault that a lot of morons buy their products and don't know how to use them.

Yes, because faulty parts and shoddy workmanship is the consumers fault...........

The overwhelming majority of the computers I had to fix as a technician were because people infested their machines with insane amounts of spyware and viruses NOT because the hardware was faulty. If there is an issue with hardware, my warranty covers everything for 3 years. But, I haven't had to use that ever. The idea that Dell machines are all build with junk is a myth. If we're looking to expose computers that are crap then I'd bring up Compaq.