TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

what was random about the line, exactly? it served its purpoe to highlight the father's contempt for his son's profession, as well as his father's lack of respect for him in comparison with his brother. you're not supposed to care about the brother, you're supposed to care about the main character in this particular story, and the father's love of the brother hurts the main character in the story. there's nothing random about the line itself, as it fits pretty damn well with the story that was being told.

Alright, "random" was a poor choice of words, but the delivery of that line was incredibly forced. In the context of the story, yes, the line makes sense, but any impact the line might have had was ruined by the delivery, which felt, yes, random.

According to my listings, the show won't be on this Monday.

Has it been moved? Is it on hiatus? Is it cancelled?

Word is that the show is un-officially cancelled. Cast members have been heard telling friends that the show isn't going to be renewed. NBC is getting ass-fucked in the ratings on Monday nights because of this show and wants to dump it as soon as possible.

FUCK.

Sorkin and friends will argue that NBC has done something wrong, or that the audience isn't smart enough. Alas, in this case, neither is true. 'Studio 60'—as I wrote on August 7th after viewing the pilot—is just a bad show. There's nothing wrong with the acting, directing, or dialogue writing. But the premise is faulty. No one cares whether a bunch of over caffeinated, well off yuppies, some with expensive drug habits, put on a weekly comedy sketch show from Los Angeles.

Even worse: no one cares whether or not the people from the Bartlett White House puts on a comedy show. That's what 'Studio 60' is, essentially: the "West Wing" annual talent show. There's so much earnestness involved in this endeavour, you start to think that nuclear war will be declared if the 'Studio 60' staff doesn't air some joke—usually one we don't hear anyway. The whole thing just feels weighted down and frankly, not entertaining.

Ouch.

Sorkin and friends will argue that NBC has done something wrong, or that the audience isn't smart enough. Alas, in this case, neither is true. 'Studio 60'—as I wrote on August 7th after viewing the pilot—is just a bad show. There's nothing wrong with the acting, directing, or dialogue writing. But the premise is faulty. No one cares whether a bunch of over caffeinated, well off yuppies, some with expensive drug habits, put on a weekly comedy sketch show from Los Angeles.

Even worse: no one cares whether or not the people from the Bartlett White House puts on a comedy show. That's what 'Studio 60' is, essentially: the "West Wing" annual talent show. There's so much earnestness involved in this endeavour, you start to think that nuclear war will be declared if the 'Studio 60' staff doesn't air some joke—usually one we don't hear anyway. The whole thing just feels weighted down and frankly, not entertaining.

Ouch.

Sadly, they have a point. I'm constantly comparing it to West Wing when I watch it. I mean, the first episode was great, but I've been rapidly loosing interest since then.

I'll admit Studio 60 can be a bit pretentious, but that by itself doesn't make it a bad show the way the article seems to be claiming.

During "The Office" the other night they did show a commerical for Monday's episode.

Guest Felonies!

So if you were wondering "when does John Goodman show up as an evil conservative again," the answer is this week. He will do so this week.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
So if you were wondering "when does John Goodman show up as an evil conservative again," the answer is this week. He will do so this week.

that second sentence is redundant.

Don't expect him to be on for very long. But as for why he's "evil" this episode, there's a pretty good reason for it.

It's a pretty good episode this week, btw. Naturally it's based

around a sketch mocking Christians and Standards and Practices.

Have I mentioned that I love the fact that we get to see this on Sundays in Canada?

So, yeah, the show is dead. Not just in terms of its tenure but the quality that still lingered for the show. Great cast and good actors aren't going to save idiotic premise, direction and the pro-liberal agenda on this show suffocates whatever good this show had.

Last night's show just flat-lined. I usually like Goodman but shit, even he phoned this one in. That's what the whole show has been.

NBC GIVES FULL SEASON ORDER TO CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED NEW DRAMA STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP FOR 2006-07.

NBC has renewed its critically acclaimed, first-year drama Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip for the remainder of the 2006-07 season, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"I am pleased to show our support for this outstanding and ambitious effort from executive producers Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme," said Reilly. "From the start, they have delivered the superb show that we wanted. The critical support has been rock-solid and there is a passionate core audience. We can't wait for what's going to come in the remainder of the season."

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is averaging a 4.0 rating, 9 share in adults 18-49 and 9.8 million viewers overall (through November 6th) and has increased its rating week-to-week in 18-49 with each of its last two telecasts. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip has consistently delivered some of the highest audience concentrations among all primetime network series in such key upscale categories as adults 18-49 living in homes with $75,000-plus and $100,000-plus incomes and in homes where the head of household has four or more years of college.

If I were going to rate the quality of the show on a scale of one to ten, the first episode gets a ten. The next episodes up until last week averaged a 7. Last week was about a 5. This week's (with Goodman) was maybe a 3. Seriously, this spiral usually takes years, but they're managing to do it in a manner of weeks.

They do the same trite little things every week. They get into a wacky situation that leads to the opening song, whathisname tricks Matt into figuring something out, they rehearse some skit that's supposed to be courageously hilarious that's actually really stupid, and then a guest actor makes some preachy speech.

I've gone from loving the show to kinda liking it, to not liking it very much, but still finding it watchable to actively disliking it in about a month and a half.

"This is the best show EVAR and if you don't think so it's because you aren't smart enough to understand it."

If I were going to rate the quality of the show on a scale of one to ten, the first episode gets a ten. The next episodes up until last week averaged a 7. Last week was about a 5. This week's (with Goodman) was maybe a 3. Seriously, this spiral usually takes years, but they're managing to do it in a manner of weeks.

They do the same trite little things every week. They get into a wacky situation that leads to the opening song, whathisname tricks Matt into figuring something out, they rehearse some skit that's supposed to be courageously hilarious that's actually really stupid, and then a guest actor makes some preachy speech.

I've gone from loving the show to kinda liking it, to not liking it very much, but still finding it watchable to actively disliking it in about a month and a half.

To be fair, they outright admitted that the sketch in the last episode was not good at all, which is why they wanted to cut it.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip has consistently delivered some of the highest audience concentrations among all primetime network series in such key upscale categories as adults 18-49 living in homes with $75,000-plus and $100,000-plus incomes and in homes where the head of household has four or more years of college.

One more perk to having money: the shows you like won't be cancelled, even if everyone else hates them.

Guest Felonies!
So, yeah, the show is dead. Not just in terms of its tenure but the quality that still lingered for the show. Great cast and good actors aren't going to save idiotic premise, direction and the pro-liberal agenda on this show suffocates whatever good this show had.

Last night's show just flat-lined. I usually like Goodman but shit, even he phoned this one in. That's what the whole show has been.

You know what Aaron Sorkin should do? Forget Studio 60, and just change the show to Actors From The West Wing Being Placed Somewhere, in which the usual suspects are thrown into increasingly incongruous settings for their rapid and erudite dialogue, their impassioned yelling, and hamfisted liberalism. Like next week, they can manage a 7-Eleven, and Bradley Whitford can say something about how cherry Slurpees can make a difference in this world when an evil corporate type played by John Goodman threatens to downsize their underperforming location.

You know what Aaron Sorkin should do? Forget Studio 60, and just change the show to Actors From The West Wing Being Placed Somewhere, in which the usual suspects are thrown into increasingly incongruous settings for their rapid and erudite dialogue, their impassioned yelling, and hamfisted liberalism. Like next week, they can manage a 7-Eleven, and Bradley Whitford can say something about how cherry Slurpees can make a difference in this world when an evil corporate type played by John Goodman threatens to downsize their underperforming location.

You sound like a bad South Park episode. YouR making fun of the show because your un-entertaned by it. But many are, and thats why its a good show. Its on the air for a reason. If its not your cup of tea, cool. But don't try to be all funny and smash the premise or the style or whatever. There are plenty of shows I dont watch cuz it doesnt peak my interest. But I would look like a complete retard if I just went into those threads and made up asinine reasons why it sucked.

You and that other dork need to just deal with the fact that the show is good despite you not liking it.

DEAL

dont quit your day job sister, lolol!

I don't think Czech ever really watched "West Wing," except for maybe that horribly corny post 9/11 episode they did.

And, for the last time, Goodman's character on "West Wing" was never portrayed as evil.

Ever since the Republicans lost the election, Czech's been extra bitchy.

I liked the premise alot. I agree that the execution was a little over the top, but I really liked the interactions and the dialogue, so it didn't bother me as much as it would have.

They really crossed the line with the Danny Trip character in that last scene last night.

The whole FCC subplot seems pretty far-fetched as well.