TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Ol' Smitty

4,000 dead Americans

You're not really saying that Howard was already eliminated before 'Yeah!' was aired a zillion times are you?

The scream incident happened after he'd already lost the Iowa Caucus and was already slipping in the polls in NH.

That's never a final nail in the coffin though.

And, even if he was facing final elimination from the race, why would the news channels have to play that so often? I never got the reasoning (especially with the supposed liberal bias) for showing that one scene repeatedly while giving a President basically a free pass on so much bullshit concerning an actual war, all of which is preserved on video.

Bush was already the nominee for the GOP in 2000 when he was caught on microphone/video calling a guy an 'asshole' & that clip wasn't aired a fraction of the time as Howard's 'YEAH!'

I don't think Howard was on very good terms with the press, either.

I was a John Kerry supporter from day 1, so I was glad Dean was out there sticking his foot in his mouth so my guy would look good by comparison.

With his consistent opposition to the Iraq War, Dean could end up being the Gene McCarthy to John Kerry's Hubert Humphrey.

I'd wager Dean's substantially more popular within the party than Kerry at the moment. I backed Kerry because I thought he was something he wasn't. I think Dean wouldn't have done as well in the general election (given the mindset of the country in 2004 and Bush's 51% job approval rating at the time), and I still wish Kerry would have won, but Dean was ultimately proven to be correct. I can't help but wonder how Edwards cozying up to Kerry and scorn for Dean will impact the 2008 race.

I'll save the rest of my thoughts on this for the 2008 thread.

No, I'm saying that after Dean lost that primary, the media decided to bury him by overplaying the "YEAH!" thing a billion times.

Nothing's really preventing the media from reporting Bush's flip flopping, except for probably fear of being seen as undermining the troops. I mean, anytime someone speaks out against the war, you have commentators saying that they're "giving aid and comfort to the enemy", whatever the hell that means.

No, I'm saying that after Dean lost that primary, the media decided to bury him by overplaying the "YEAH!" thing a billion times.

Yeah, I agree.

Webb sounded good, but closing your speech out with TWO different historical quotes makes him sound like he didn't have many things to say himself. That's how it was for me, anyway.

Webb was OK. Everything he said about helping the middle class was dead on, but will probably be ignored by the media, and his own party, though.

The gay stuff DOES fit into the big/small govt switch.

Trying to pass legislation banning gay marriage equates to new laws and more govt power. The usage of it as a wedge political issue might not fit, but the attempts at new laws does. It is an example of the Republican Party, in this case being steered by their hardcore religious constituency, moving towards bigger govt.

The abortion stuff...Republicans, again at the behest of religious folk, are trying to create new laws that would strip power of American people & put with the Govt. If Roe/Wade ever were to be reversed, it would then see the same type of things happening as the federal agents raiding medical marijuana clinics right now.

That medical marijuana stuff is another big example of the big/small govt switch.

Guys like Duncan Hunter & Tom Tancredo pushing hard for big fences around the country is a glaring example of a move towards big govt. Of course, theyre much more supportive when jobs go overseas (or over the border). That policy is also representative of big govt, by expanding the tax breaks beyond our country and into factories in other lands.

But, of course, beyond all of these things mentioned here...beyond the rampant spending of the recent GOP controlled Congress...beyond the Patriot Act/surveillance/etc stuff...the biggest example of the big/small govt switch we are seeing right now is the Bush Administration policy of, and the GOP backing of, nation building. I cant think of anything that exemplifies big govt any more than nation building.

Re: Nation Building

What do you think of what the Clinton Administration did in Bosnia & Kosovo, snuffleuffugus?

I don't think anyone could remotely consider that military action as "nation building."

Also, the US action in Yugoslavia was part of a joint NATO operation, where Iraq hasn't been.

Bosnia & Kosovo are nothing comparable to the current Iraq situation re: nation building.

And besides, if Clinton had in fact set a policy of nation building it would have been in step with the longstanding philosophy of the Democratic Party being liberal/big govt. Now, with the Bush Administration actually doing this, the most 'big govt' thing a country can do, it shows the switch that is taking place.

Really, the closest comparable Administration to the current would probably be Lyndon Johnson's...nation building, massive spending, civil liberty/personal rights erosion, & a credibility gap.

And, in an unrelated bit, I'm still waiting for the Liberal Media to mention a certain three words in regards to the recent bombings of Somalia. I'm not saying I disagree with the bombings, I dont, but a little fairness would be nice.

And, in an unrelated bit, I'm still waiting for the Liberal Media to mention a certain three words in regards to the recent bombings of Somalia. I'm not saying I disagree with the bombings, I dont, but a little fairness would be nice.

Not sure where you're going on that one.

Toby Keith is full of shit.

Famed country singer Toby Keith,who engaged in a public feud with the Dixie Chicks and once sang a two-fisted song about putting “a boot in [the]ass” of the terrorists, tells Newsday that he doesn’t support the Iraq war. “‘Never did,’ he says — and he favors setting a time limit on the occupation. He says he suspects civil war in Iraq is inevitable and predicts the Kurds will be the victors: ‘I promise you, they’ll end up with it all.’”

Here's an image he used to show at his concerts.

saddammaines.jpg

Yeah, sure looks like he didn't support the Iraq War, doesn't it?

I love the super-enthusiastic toothbrush ad that played before that clip.

I was talking with a few of my coworkers over there on Skype this morning. Apparently the Embassy in Baghdad got hit with an unusual amount of direct mortar fire Thursday and Friday, but the ones that actually struck the compound were duds. Lucky guys.

Have you all heard about the mortar fire? It's fascinating. Insurgents have time to lob up one salvo of mortars into the IZ, and then get almost immediately waxed by the troops and/or personal security details, once they reveal their positions. And they just keep doing it, every day. What a weird place.

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton blamed President Bush on Saturday for misusing authority given him by Congress to act in Iraq, but conceded "I take responsibility" for her role in allowing that to happen.

A little improvement.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Hillary Clinton is from Park Ridge, which is where I was born. I still hate her.

I wonder if she even realizes how blatantly obvious she is being that the only reason she's finally saying any of this is because of '08. If she does, she doesn't care in the least. She couldn't bring herself to oppose or apologize when Kerry ran (not that Kerry did much to help himself anyway) but now that she has a real personal stake in the Presidency, she speaks out. Just like Bush, Hillary's entire opinion of the war, a situation that is costing thousands of American lives & billions of American dollars, is based ENTIRELY on politics.

I wonder if she even realizes how blatantly obvious she is being that the only reason she's finally saying any of this is because of '08. If she does, she doesn't care in the least. She couldn't bring herself to oppose or apologize when Kerry ran (not that Kerry did much to help himself anyway) but now that she has a real personal stake in the Presidency, she speaks out. Just like Bush, Hillary's entire opinion of the war, a situation that is costing thousands of American lives & billions of American dollars, is based ENTIRELY on politics.

I couldn't have said it any better.