TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Firefox issues

So, I used to love Firefox. But over the last few months, numerous problems started popping up. First I can't select and copy text, either on a web page or in the address bar. Then it won't fully load pages for me. And now it won't even show this board anymore- it shows an oddly formated version with very few graphics, but in IE I get a normal looking board.

The only things I like about Firefox is the tabbed browsing, the skins, and the extensions. ARe there any other web browsers out there that include all of those things without all of the problems?

Guest Princess Leena

I'm getting to the point of probably changing back to IE or Opera, as well. I also get the not able to copy text sometimes. And more annoying, a glitch where the apostrophe key automatically brings up the find box.

alas, my copy of XP isn't authentic, so I can't get teh new IE. I foudn that out tonight when I tried to download it.

Anybody also have problems when they try to download and it fgreezes up on you (for Firefox)?

Guest Vitamin X

The only thing I hate about Firefox is that it uses up too much memory, and it frequently has memory leaks, so even worse.

The only thing keeping me from switching to IE is that, apparently with 7.0, it's just as much a system hog as Firefox is as well.

Yeah, anything that tries to use over 25meg of memory at any time on my comp is a hog. Only three do. Yahoo! Messenger (38mb), my soundcard driver (39MB) and fucking Firefox (at the moment, 101MB!) And I don't have any other tabs open, either.

Then again, I also prefer iTunes now, and that's a hell of a memory hog too. Booting it up, it's at 42MB. Christ.

The new version of Firefox is pretty bad ass. It has a built in spell checker. Genius.

I also use AOL explorer, which is pretty good.

Firefox Version 2.0 only takes up 20 megs. How do you get 101 MB?

Firefox Version 2.0 only takes up 20 megs. How do you get 101 MB?

I was routinely using between 100-150 MB of RAM when I was running with multiple tabs open in Firefox. Of course, as VX pointed out, IE 7 isn't any better in that regard.

Guest Princess Leena

mozilla.org

Actually, I'd stick with 1.5 for a while longer. Especially if you use many add-ons. Many don't work on 2.0 yet.

Guest Coffey
I'm getting to the point of probably changing back to IE or Opera, as well. I also get the not able to copy text sometimes. And more annoying, a glitch where the apostrophe key automatically brings up the find box.

My God, I thought that was my fuckin' keyboard doing that! I broke it and had to get a new one.

Just recently, I've ran into a few other problems which are pissing me off too. For example, Firefox no longer seems to want to save my window size dimensions. They reset on each opening of a new window. It's just irksome. Also, my google search in the top right doesn't work anymore. I redownloaded Google Toolbar and everything...but it still doesn't work. It's like I can't hit enter after typing something in there.

The only thing I hate about Firefox is that it uses up too much memory, and it frequently has memory leaks, so even worse.

The only thing keeping me from switching to IE is that, apparently with 7.0, it's just as much a system hog as Firefox is as well.

Yeah, anything that tries to use over 25meg of memory at any time on my comp is a hog. Only three do. Yahoo! Messenger (38mb), my soundcard driver (39MB) and fucking Firefox (at the moment, 101MB!) And I don't have any other tabs open, either.

Oh man, this is fucking annoying as hell. I have the same problem, and it's almost a killer.

Firefox was great and light for a while when it first came out but these days it has its own set of problems. I still like it more than IE, just barely, but i've considered switching back or to opera because of this memory bullshit.

does firefox 2.0 really fix the memory issue?

Guest Princess Leena
My God, I thought that was my fuckin' keyboard doing that! I broke it and had to get a new one.

I did too. If you change windows, it usually goes away.

Not at all. Infact, it seems worse for me. I only have 2 tabs open, and it's at 80K.

Actually, I'd stick with 1.5 for a while longer. Especially if you use many add-ons. Many don't work on 2.0 yet.

I found that out the hard way when I upgraded. SessionSaver was one of the unsupported add-ons, which pissed me off. I found a replacement, but it's not as good.

Guest Vitamin X

Nope! At the moment, it's at 75MB. I thought it was perhaps because I had too many extensions, but the only thing I have is google toolbar, forecastfox, and adblock. I got rid of FoxyTunes, no change at all.

Firefox does get crazy memory leaks. I remember I had this program that would detect memory leaks from any process running on my PC, just to check and see if I had any unnecessary tasks running, and by far and large, Firefox would get the most. For no reason at all, the memory usage would go from like 50-65MB to like 150MB, random programming errors and the like.

Say what you will about IE, but at least I don't get memory leaks from them, and every website is guaranteed to work there (who gives a fuck about an anti-phishing filter since Google Toolbar has one). The Bookmarks Toolbar and having IMDB as one of my Firefox search tools are about the only things keeping me from switching back for good.

Google ought to come out with their own browser. Fuck, their own OS. I'd sell my Gsoul to Google.

Say what you will about IE, but at least I don't get memory leaks from them

Really? I was regularly using 100MB or more when running IE 7.0, sometimes getting up to 150. Firefox 2.0 at least manages to keep it under that.

It's the tabbed browsing -- it's like running four or five browser windows simultaneously. That'll hog your RAM no matter what.

Guest Princess Leena

It's not that big of a RAM hog.

I can have over 100 tabs open and I keep going. And that's with only 576MB.

Well, Firefox 2.0 still won't download anything without crashing, and IE 7 for some reason won't give me tabbed browsing, and I'm hesitant to uninstall it and download from the link above because of what I went through the first time.

What's Opera like? Two things I like are tabbed browsing and session saver; does Opera have those?

Has anyone else ever had lock-ups with Firefox every once in a while and then a "Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent" dialog box pops up?

I've had to restart my computer plenty of times because of that or it would keep happening.

the only issues I've ever had with Firefox is that sometimes, maybe once a week, a page won't load...but I always chalked that up to my shitty home computer and my cable modem.

Guest Princess Leena
Has anyone else ever had lock-ups with Firefox every once in a while and then a "Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent" dialog box pops up?

I've had to restart my computer plenty of times because of that or it would keep happening.

That popup used to just report crashes.

The problem is that it came up as Netscape, so most assumed it was a virus or spyware, or something.

I haven't seen that popup in a long time, thankfully.

Guest Princess Leena
What's Opera like? Two things I like are tabbed browsing and session saver; does Opera have those?

It has both. Plus, I'm pretty sure you don't need to download an add-on for it in Opera. Just turn on some option. I don't use Opera much, so someone else could probably help you better.

Guest Princess Leena

If you're used to Firefox, keep using it.

This is just petty stuff we're complaining about.

Even if Firefox takes 100MB+ of memory, you'll likely never notice it unless your computer is ancient or you're a huge multitasker.

The new IE sucks just as bad as the old IE. I will never ever use that browser again.

Fierfox/Opera work fine for what I do, never had a problem with either.

If you're running Firefox on a Mac like I am, you can get customized builds for G4, G5, and Intel processors at beatnikpad.com. They speed up Firefox tremendously.

I'm also loving the updated Tab Mix Plus extension, which lets you do pretty much anything you want to the tabs, both technically and visually. The extension that combines you stop and reload buttons to save address bar space is another goodie.

The new IE sucks just as bad as the old IE. I will never ever use that browser again.

Fierfox/Opera work fine for what I do, never had a problem with either.

It always puzzles me to see posts like this, because I feel pretty much the same way... but about IE. I don't know if I'm just not doing intense enough shit with my computer, or what the fuck, but I've had IE6 on my computer for as long as I can remember, and I've never had a problem with it, ever.

Same with ME; I've heard all kinds of horror stories about ME, but I had it on my computer for four years before I finally upgraded to XP, and it never crashed once.

And not for nothing, but tabbed browsers are the single-most overrated thing in the history of web browsing, IMO.

Or you could simply upgrade your memory and kwitcherbitchin. Any problems with resources and the like can be fixed with a good memory manager program.

Seriously, I heavily prefer Firefox over anything else. I haven;t had serious problems with it, and I have used it for at least three years.

I'm running 2.0 on my main system and 1.5.0.7 on my laptop. The fact that I can't use the Black Japan skin yet on my main system is nothing but a minor annoyance to me.

As long as MS has the lion's share of the market, these kind of things are going to happen with programs.

I'm in the same boat with Slim; I used ME for quite a ways past the XP upgrade, and it worked just fine. If the install CD hadn;t cracked, I would have been using it up until I would have been forced to upgrade.

You two had NO problems with ME? Man, it would crash on me every month it seemed. I freakin' HATED that OS.

At this point, I think Opera is the way to go for me. Along with history manager and tabs, it's got its own built-in BitTorrent, and I'm liking the interface the more I use it.