TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Attempting to fix a computer

A friend has a Compaq Presario S4010CL, and his brother was fucking around with it using a thumb drive, and the gist of it is now it won't properly boot up. It'll turn on, but then gives a single beep followed by a prolonged beep, and it's stuck at the Compaq logo.

He got a replacement that his brother paid for, but essentially handed it over to me.

Well, no changes even after trying different cords/cables/monitor, and even removing/trying different keyboard and mouse. Checking out compaq's site, it's either memory or the processor, which is a pretty big "either/or."

I don't have a replacement stick of the same type, but I pulled out memory and tested it. No video comes up, and the computer beeps in a regular pattern, pretty much just telling me--"put in new RAM."

The only thing I'm worried about, is that if it is only testing memory first, and hasn't got around to testing the processor during the POST, I'd be blowing money on the memory for nothing. Anyone have the same situation happen, or can reassure me it's just the memory?

Outside of the memory, video card, fans, etc. Take out any network cards, wireless cards etc and then see if it boots. If so, add one at a time until you nail it down. It could even be something that is loose and not seated properly.

The beep sequence will tell you what the problem is. You may need to do a little research though.

The beep sequence doesn't tell me any more than processor or memory. I scoured the HP/Compaq site as well as did a chat with a tech rep. Same dealy.

I already removed the ethernet card (there was no wireless card) and tested without it. Same deal.