TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

Hollywood is divided on this.

HD-DVD has the support of Warner Bros., Paramount, Universal and The Weinstein Company.

Blu-ray has Sony, Warner Bros., Paramount, Fox, Disney, MGM (part of Sony and Fox) and Lionsgate.

Universal is the only studio that's supporting HD-DVD exclusively. Where as Sony, Fox, MGM and Lionsgate are supporting only Blu-ray format.

Guest Guerrero81

Does anyone besides me think that there's going to be some kind of rebellion someday over all these different media formats? What happens when Blu-Ray and HD-DVD become obsolete someday?

There's absolutely going to be a rebellion. For anyone who's not in their mid-20s or younger, the idea that DVDs have replaced tapes is just starting to set in. In fact, I was in Target the other day listening to a couple argue with the sales person over their lack of VCRs for sale. Now to try and explain that DVDs are obsolete and the next format is here and it will really piss a lot of people off.

Yeah, but you can play a regular DVD in a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player, right?

Yes, and it upconverts SD DVDs.

As for the "war" between the two camps most of the hardcore A/V boards I frequent seem to be firmly in the HD-DVD camp. Personally, I started buying HD-DVDs and have been very happy with the results.

See, there is some lack of knowledge right there, no offense. But it only upconverts through HDMI, not component. And the PS3, which has the BR player, doesn't upconvert. And the 360 only upconverts when it is connected through VGA. But when the 360 add-on is hooked up via VGA, it doesn't look as good (so I am told.)

The way I look at it is that the only people who will buy BR or HDDVD in the next 1-3 years, are ones who are somewhat tech savy. But once more people get HDTVs in their house, then it will also increase.

I don't care. As long as I don't have to throw away my DVD collection it's all good. Once one of the formats take over, I'll just continue my collection in that format. Until then I can continue to buy regular DVDs and not be wasting my money.