TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Australia's entry on Wikipedia

Guest Princess Leena

Click the history tab. It shows all previous edits. Or, at least recent ones.

Courts Turn to Wikipedia, but Selectively

By NOAM COHEN

Published: January 29, 2007

When a court-appointed special master last year rejected the claim of an Alabama couple that their daughter had suffered seizures after a vaccination, she explained her decision in part by referring to material from articles in Wikipedia, the collaborative online encyclopedia.

Wikipedia entries are being cited by judges in their legal rulings.

The reaction from the court above her, the United States Court of Federal Claims, was direct: the materials “culled from the Internet do not — at least on their face — meet” standards of reliability. The court reversed her decision.

Oddly, to cite the “pervasive, and for our purposes, disturbing series of disclaimers” concerning the site’s accuracy, the same Court of Federal Claims relied on an article called “Researching With Wikipedia” found — where else? — on Wikipedia. (The family has reached a settlement, their lawyer said.)

A simple search of published court decisions shows that Wikipedia is frequently cited by judges around the country, involving serious issues and the bizarre — such as a 2005 tax case before the Tennessee Court of Appeals concerning the definition of “beverage” that involved hundreds of thousands of dollars, and, just this week, a case in Federal District Court in Florida that involved the term “booty music” as played during a wet T-shirt contest.

More than 100 judicial rulings have relied on Wikipedia, beginning in 2004, including 13 from circuit courts of appeal, one step below the Supreme Court. (The Supreme Court thus far has never cited Wikipedia.)...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/29/technolo...ED/FmeHgbcECXJw

Guest Vitamin X

This is one of my favorite ones I found recently. It's like easter eggs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_manager

These are usually known quantities that are very expensive productions and have a guaranteed audience because of their location. Typically, they are on cruise ships, in theme parks, Las Vegas or destination resorts such as Branson, Missouri.

Guest Vitamin X

Well, then!

List of Places to Go To

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Paris

Rome

London

New York

The Bahamas

Branson, MO

Which one of these things is not like the other?

Gotta love Wikipedia. I learned a while back that World War II was caused by hippos.

Oh, and apparently, Jeff is gay. How that came into play during the war, no one knows...

I know Branson is not as big a tourist attraction as Paris and Vegas, but the article was about stage hands or whatever they called them. It said destination resorts, like Branson, MO. Perhaps it is because of all the venues they have on a stage? I don't think they were trying to pimp it out as the greatest place in the world.

This is one of my favorite ones I found recently. It's like easter eggs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_manager

These are usually known quantities that are very expensive productions and have a guaranteed audience because of their location. Typically, they are on cruise ships, in theme parks, Las Vegas or destination resorts such as Branson, Missouri.

It could also be a nice MST3K: The Movie reference. "They're forcing him to visit Branson, Missouri!!"

"Resort destinations" are funny things. You have a city/town that's pushing itself as a destination and that's pretty much all that would normally motivate you to go and see it. Charleston's pushed as one now, but before that already had a vibrant tourist economy due to history and how the place looks like a time capsule in some downtown areas. Branson had none of these things.

Guest Vitamin X

And it still doesn't! That's like me telling someone that Barstow, CA is a great tourist destination, when really it's just a stop on the way to Vegas from L.A.

Branson is an awful place, partly because of the whole country culture (especially country "comedy", yeehaw), and partly because the geographic layout of the town makes me feel like I'll fall off a cliff if I pull off the main strip.

Back to the subject of wonderful wiki edits, from the article on Holocaust Denial

In January 2007, the German government moved to criminalize Holocaust denial and the parading of Nazi symbols across the European Union, but after being told they're acting like Nazis themselves, they decided not to.