TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

Wireless Router. May get one for X-Mas...

I have a laptop that has a Wireless card built in. I'm able to connect to surrounding networks, leech off them, etc. My boyfriend told me today that, if he can, he'll buy me a router for Xmas. All well and good, honestly, but I've no idea the basics of it.

As in, would I have to pay for the service of whatever I connect to? What's the speed like on a router? Since I have the network card in the laptop, would that automatically detect the router, or is there some installation?

Things like that. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a laptop that has a Wireless card built in. I'm able to connect to surrounding networks, leech off them, etc. My boyfriend told me today that, if he can, he'll buy me a router for Xmas. All well and good, honestly, but I've no idea the basics of it.

As in, would I have to pay for the service of whatever I connect to? What's the speed like on a router? Since I have the network card in the laptop, would that automatically detect the router, or is there some installation?

Things like that. Any help would be appreciated.

You don't have to pay for a service to connect to the router. You just hook your router up to a main computer that your internet is connected to.

The speed differs. Just check the mbps on the box.

Yes, it will automatically detect the router if it is on.

And I'd suggest using some sort of encryption on the router. Set up a password that will be used to allow access on your network.

Alrighty - so we do need internet, well paid 'net, on another computer? The desktop we have uses Road Runer cable through a modem; it's not wireless. So... with the router, I'd be able to detect that?

Thanks again for your help :) Yeah, I'll definetly use encryption, as soon as I figure it out.

Alrighty - so we do need internet, well paid 'net, on another computer? The desktop we have uses Road Runer cable through a modem; it's not wireless. So... with the router, I'd be able to detect that?

Thanks again for your help :) Yeah, I'll definetly use encryption, as soon as I figure it out.

Coax from wall to rodem.

Ethernet from Modem to router.

The laptop will detect the router. If you don't want people to be able to leech your internet connection, you'll want to set encryption, but I recommend that you don't fuck with it unless you know how. If you do fuck it up, however (and, unfortunately for me, most people who try to fuck with their wireless settings by themselves do), as long as you still have at least one computer that you can wire direly into the router, you should be okay.

Coax from wall to rodem.

The laptop will detect the router. If you don't want people to be able to leech your internet connection, you'll want to set encryption, but I recommend that you don't fuck with it unless you know how. If you do fuck it up, however (and, unfortunately for me, most people who try to fuck with their wireless settings by themselves do), as long as you still have at least one computer that you can wire direly into the router, you should be okay.

Ya. If you don't want to set it up youself. I'm pretty sure you can pay the Geek Squad at Best Buy to do it.

Coax from wall to rodem.

How did you fuck your wireless settings?