TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Poison the Well

Corey brought up a bunch of good bands. As far as some more metalcore bands to check out, I suggest...

God Forbid is a really good American metalcore/thrash band. You can really see the Gothernberg influence in their first few albums, but they're starting to find their own sound. If that is not enough of a reason, they are amazing live and their vocalist Byron is one of the coolest/most approachable guys in metal.

Caliban brings the goodness from Germany. Musically they're really tight and Anders from In Flames has produced some of their stuff. Plus, their two splits with Heaven Shall Burn were really good. I recommend HSB as well.

Dillinger Escape Plan is really good with their metalcore/math metal/fusion sound. I know Corey will cringe, but if you like DEP check out Candiria. Their sound is undescribable and all over the place. In the same vein of that is Yakuza, which is metalcore with a heavy jazz influence.

Also check out some of the early crossover bands like Vision of Disorder, Madball and Ringworm.

How the fuck can I forget Ringworm? Some solid stuff, though a little generic compared to modern bands (then again, almost all crossover is considered "generic" by today's standards).

Re: "Brutal"

You're absolutely right. It's way too overused. And, the worst part, is that's used wrongly. Many things can be said about Arch Enemy: they're heavy, they're fast, they're melodic, "I can't believe that's a chick growling" (at least for every album after Burning Bridges)...but I've heard them called brutal. They're not. The very use of the term "brutal" in metal negates melody, and they're very melodic. Brutal is Skinless. Brutal is Nile (especially Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, which is still my favorite by them). Brutal is Cannibal Corpse. Brutal is DS13. Brutal IS NOT Shadows Fall. Brutal IS NOT Children of Bodom. Brutal IS NOT In Flames. Brutal IS NOT The Black Dahlia Murder.

Stay the fuck away from Candiria. I know it makes no real sense to use the term "every song sounds the same" with any one style of music, since of course it sounds the same otherwise it would be a different style, but literally: if you can find ANY difference between two Candiria songs, I'll be vastly impressed. Jazz and metal sounds like a good idea, but in practice it is annoying tripe.

Guest BlindHeartagram

Beyond The Embrace has more of a southern, COC-ish vibe than the Gothenburg style.

And also, if you want the definition of "Brutal" listen to "Slaves Shall Serve" by Behemoth

Pick up the first LP, Against the Elements. I dunno what the second one sounds like since I keep putting off grabbing it, but Against the Elements sounds almost exactly like what the phrase "Americanized Gothenburg style" would fit to.

Behemoth...they're good. But when I think "BRUTAL," I think Skinless.

I wish local boys Cadaveryne would hurry up and release their album. Guys are fucking intense musically, and could go toe-to-toe with any of the death metal heavyhitters of today (Cannibal Corpse, Black Dahlia Murder, Behemoth, etc.).

Zombie Apocalypse > Converge > Poison the Well

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Based on that one word: Lividity, Avulsed, Nunslaughter.