TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ripper

Dreamgirls

Damn good movie.

Stuck pretty faithfully to the play except for two parts that I can think of and they weren't horrible at all.

As for the performances:

Eddie Murphy : Amazing. Should definately be seeing a best supporting actor nod come Oscar time. I have nothing bad to say about his performace. Perfect.

Beyonce: Damn good performance. She played a damn good Diana/Deena Jones. Plus her performance of Listen was great. There is one or two cringe worthy delievery of lines but not any more than you see out of any actor or actress. Everything she has done before now is officially written off in my eyes and she can now be seen as a actress, although I have this feeling that she will negate this performance with whatever she does next. And if being pretty was a talent, she would win awards for this movie...or something like that...its late.

Jennifer Hudson: Amazing. Should definately be seeing best supporting actress nod come Oscar time. I fully realize that the part of Effie is pretty much showing limited range(Sassy, Angry, Sad). But she played them all convincingly and performed the HELL out of the songs. Dreamgirls has "And I am telling you I am not going" as its make or break number. If the girl playing Effie gives a alright performance then people will come away saying it was just alright. Well, the entire theater broke out in applause (well except for me and a few other people who probably realized how stupid it was to applaud at a screen) during and after her number, and honestly it was awe inspiring. I know that the studio is trying to push Listen as a Oscar Nom for Best Song (I guess get Beyonce one and Jennifer one of Best Supporting) but her performance of this song blows most anything I have seen in film away. Amazing overall performance.

Jamie Foxx: You can't be more middle grown with a performance. He wasn't bad, he wasn't great. He was...good. He spent to much of the movie making these wierd scowls (because he was the villian you see) and that just looked silly. His performance when he actually had lines was pretty good. But Foxx should never have to convey a emotion with his eyes and facial expression again, because its just not very good. I musical numbers it looked like he forgot to move his lips sometimes, but his voice was strong, as expected. He also did a good job of showing the subtle villiany of Curtis, so in that aspect, good job.

Anika Noni Rose: This girl will go down as the most underapprecited performace in the movie. She almost did a better job than everyone of the girls in the movie. Great job with her voice (in the beginning conveying youth and having a stonger more mature voice as the film went on and her character got older) and went from giggly school girl to full fledged woman. Damn good job. I am sure the Tony's that she has at home will confort her when people forget her subtle performance next to Beyonce and Hudson's.

As for the other characters, the guy who played C.C. couldn't act but could sing, so thats...something. Sharon Leal's vocal strength was not used as well as it could have been and her character came off more annoying than in the stage play. Loretta Devine makes a cameo as a Jazz singer and it was good to see her in there and her song is kinda a shout out to her role in the original. And I marked the fuck out for Hinton Battle who no one else recognized so fuck them.

Overall, great movie experience, although I don't think that it is a best picture nominee with this being such a powerful year in film. If this was last year it would win hands down to me, IMO. That is something. A movie that I feel shouldn't get a Nom this year would have won last year.

Last year sucked.

To add: And Danny Glover was just... Danny Glover.

I saw the movie about a month ago. I thought it was a musical, and a fairly good one at that. It wasn't anything special, probably should've pushed for an R rating, because it could've been darker (but lord knows, Beyonce couldn't play a drug addict). But I thought it was fairly solid. I wasn't impressed however, with Beyonce, because you see, she was just playing herself really, and that's not acting folks. Eddie Murphy shocked the shit out of me though, good lord. He better pull an Oscar win for his work because it was fantastic. Definately not the Eddie Murphy we know.

I will say that if any actress played Deena and played it the EXACT same way that Beyonce played it, people would say she did a good job. But because it was Ms. Knowles people are shitting all on her good performance.

Guest NYankees

Did Beyonce look cracked out of her mind in this movie? I swear she looks doped up all of the time.

Any movie that has cameos by Urkel, Jim Halpert and a crazy haired John Lithgow earns a thumbs up from me.

And they might as well hand Jennifer Hudson the Oscar right now

I just finished the haji copy of Dreamgirls. I thought the movie was wonderfully cast and performed. Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy gave stand out performances.

Was I imagining things or did the producers lighten Beyonce's skin color? She appears very light skinned in this movie. It could also be my haji disc playing tricks on me.

Beyonce was almost unrecognizable. She lost so much weight. She played the demure, naive and slightly stupid diva pretty well.

I agree, they should just give Jennifer Hudson her Oscar now and be done with it.