TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

The New Congress

Why do so many Republicans keep saying 'Islamist Jihadist'? Is 'Islamist' even a word?

Slightly less stupid expression than the ever-moronic "Islamo-fascist" they were test marketing last year.

I swear, every year they come up with a new name to call our enemies. Its like this war is being fought by a P.R. firm or something.

Both are words, but I just don't like the way one noun ("Islamist") is being used to modify another noun ("Jihadist").

Adjectives are our friends.

Guest Oedipus Rex

But lots of nouns function as adjectives, like tin can, or Republican senator. It's just the cadence and common suffix of "Islamist jihadist" that makes it clunky.

Guest Oedipus Rex

But then you lose Islamist, which is the part that denotes belief in a Muslim theocracy. All jihadists would be Islamic by definition, since as far as I know, jihad pertains exclusively to Islam, similar to the redundancy in "Christian crusader."

Once in 8th grade social studies, this girl was getting pissy and defensive and went "well crucify me to a cross! Jeeeesus!" to which I pointed out that being crucified by definition necessitates a cross, and furthermore, I don't think Jesus would crucify you like you just asked him to. I wasn't explicitly banned from it, but seven years later, I'm playing it safe and not going to her mom's McDonald's.

Main Entry: Is·lam·ism

Pronunciation: is-'lä-"mi-z&m, iz-, -'la-; 'iz-l&-

Function: noun

a popular reform movement advocating the reordering of government and society in accordance with laws prescribed by Islam

- Is·lam·ist /-mist/ noun

Nobody wants to tackle the term "Islamo"? Because, seriously, that sounds like the name of one of Skeletor's henchmen.

Well, "Islamofacsism" is a popular term with at least one conservative radio host.

I don't get the "Islamofascism" term because fascism usually connotes an emphasis on the STATE over everything. The crazy folk coming out of Southwest Asia seem to be more theocratic than fascistic. I even heard someone use the term Islamonazism which makes even less sense.

I don't get the "Islamofascism" term because fascism usually connotes an emphasis on the STATE over everything. The crazy folk coming out of Southwest Asia seem to be more theocratic than fascistic. I even heard someone use the term Islamonaziism which makes even less sense.

I could see that maybe being used in a historical context. During World War II, a lot of Muslims worked with the Nazis.

I'm not going to argue that Islamic Fundamentalism & Nazism don't share some core values, like authoritarianism, militarism, & anti-liberalism (not to mention anti-Semitism), but the parallel doesn't go much further than that.

I'm not going to argue that Islamic Fundamentalism & Nazism don't share some core values, like authoritarianism, militarism, & anti-liberalism (not to mention anti-Semitism), but the parallel doesn't go much further than that.

The most obvious major difference was that fascism was a purely secular movement. Everything was done for the glorification of the state. Islamic extremism goes in the complete opposite direction, because the state is only seen as a tool to impose their religious views.

This could end up being pretty embarassing for both the White House & the people who offered nothing but the exact same talking point rhetoric in their speeches.