TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

A Mac OSX thought.

Guest Vitamin X

I was just thinking about something, and was hoping the computer geeks among us could help me out with it.

One of the reasons I imagine why Windows is so much more widely used than Mac, and I would guess probably the primary reason, is that Microsoft releases their OS to be used on pretty much any conventional PC that can be built from scratch. When Apple switched over to Intel, and even moreso that you could run boot camp and get Windows running on a Mac, I was wondering..

Is there any way that you could get OSX up and running on non-Apple hardware? I'd imagine not, but the specifications of what OSX needs is really not that much more or less than say, what Vista needs. And it could be built using standard PC parts, unless there is something I'm missing. So if there's no way to do it, I would wonder why Apple hasn't come up with the idea of releasing OSX to the general public for installation on a standard PC? I know it would cut into their hardware sales badly because their product is always so ridiculously overpriced and they do it that way on purpose because of the design, but I would imagine the long-term benefits would be great, particularly if they could prove to everyone that OSX works better than Windows, and is more secure and all that jazz. Plus they'd get a larger user base and what they'd lose in hardware sales they would probably make up for in OS sales, much like Microsoft does.

Guest Smues

Someone on myspace sent me a song called "I can run OS X on my dell" so it must be possible!

With the intel mac builds of OS X out there, I'd heard supposedly hackers were trying to reverse engineer it...but hadn't heard anything solid on it.

I doubt Apple is going to (intentionally) release a PC-compatible version of Mac OS X. The dual booting to windows/os x is something no pc currently has. Boot camp will be built right into Leopard, even.

I believe the crew that made Parallels is working on that.

If they crack it, they'll have to still wait until Leopard is released. The only intel processor-capable versions of Mac OS X available now are the install discs bundled with the current macs. They're not discs you can run out and buy.