TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Router issue

So I just moved into a new house and my roommate got cable internet and for some reason when I try to use my router, nothing I use can get online but if I direct connect, I'm able to get whatever online. Would anyone no the problem?

Here's a better example. If I direct connect the Cable modem to my laptop, my laptop is able to get online, but if I do the Cable Modem to the Router then the Router to my laptop, my laptop can't connect to the internet.

Guest Vitamin X

Most likely the problem is with the router itself. As an aside, why are you trying to connect to a router with wires when you have a laptop? Is the router not wireless? That's kind of lame. If it is, then you don't have to go through all those hoops.

My old setup had a cable modem going to a Motorola router which connected my original Xbox as well as my desktop. I didn't have any issues getting online with either one, but if I were in your shoes (and I think I may have had a problem similar to yours) I would log in to the router from a web browser and see what the diagnostic says, which will usually point to whatever is the problem.

Another issue may be where the cables are plugged in on the router. Try a different one and if THAT doesn't work, you may also try a different ethernet cables (some computers may not play with certain non-crossover ethernet cables and vice versa). If all else fails, call the tech support for the router. Motorola helped me figure out what was going on when I had some problems a while back.

Good luck.

If my laptop has a way to access the router wirelessly, I have no clue how to do it. I'm not all computer sauvy and whatnot.

I don't think the problem is with the cords, I tried both a CAT 5 and 6 and both didn't work. I never had this issue when I was using DSL, just when I tried to use the router with the cable internet.

Another issue I have is that my laptop (because it's old and was a hand-me-down) doesn't run cd's or disk's so I can't run the disk that came with the router, so I think that might also be an issue as well.

I'm thinking about calling tech support but it might be tomorrow as I have stuff still to do tonight. Thanks for the advice.

Disconnect your cable modem from the router and reboot the modem. Then connect it to the router. I forget the technical jargon, it's something like the cable modem has to get the router's MAC address or vice-versa, or something, and that requires a reboot if you've been using the modem directly connected to the computer. If that doesn't work, disconnect everything, reboot both, then connect it again. Just don't connect the modem directly to the PC before you try the router out. If that doesn't work, I don't know.

I had the same problem recently with a Linksys router. I couldn't connect my 360 and my computer through my router, but the internet would only work if I directly connected each of them with my dsl line. Since i'm not as computer savvy as most, I just took the easy route and bought a new router (same brand and type) and it's work fine since then. I think it might be that the router crapped out on me.

I had the same problem recently with a Linksys router. I couldn't connect my 360 and my computer through my router, but the internet would only work if I directly connected each of them with my dsl line. Since i'm not as computer savvy as most, I just took the easy route and bought a new router (same brand and type) and it's work fine since then. I think it might be that the router crapped out on me.

Its funny you say that D.B.B., I'm actually using a wireless linksys router. I'll try the re-boot stuff tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it goes.