Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO 3/1 Impact Thread

Preview:

joetomko.gif

shelleyvid.gif

PREVIEW FOR THIS THURSDAY’S “iMPACT!” ON SPIKE TV

Featuring Samoa Joe vs. Tomko in the main event

Here is the early preview of what will take place on Thursday night’s “iMPACT!” broadcast on SpikeTV:

MAIN EVENT: “THE SAMOAN SUBMISSION MACHINE” SAMOA JOE VS. TOMKO

Samoa Joe has his shot at the World Title against Christian Cage on March 11 at “Destination X”, but the challenger knows he’ll also have to contend with the threat of Cage’s backup, Tomko. As a result, Joe has demanded that he face Tomko this Thursday night on “iMPACT!” on SpikeTV! Can Joe eliminate Tomko before the huge Pay-Per-View event in order to guarantee a fair fight against Cage? Will Tomko attempt to injure Joe before his World Title bout? Tune in and find out!

KURT ANGLE PROMISES SCOTT STEINER WILL HAVE HELL TO PAY

After being bloodied by Scott Steiner on last week’s broadcast, Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle has promised “Big Poppa Pump” will have hell to pay this Thursday night on “iMPACT!” on SpikeTV! With their first-ever bout only a few weeks away at “Destination X” on March 11, what chaos will break out between the two TNA juggernauts this Thursday night?

Speaking of Scott Steiner, he’ll be in action on Thursday’s “iMPACT!”...

”BIG POPPA PUMP” SCOTT STEINER VS. CHASE STEVENS

The star with the largest arms and the shortest fuse in TNA Wrestling will be in singles action this Thursday night as Scott Steiner takes on Chase Stevens of The Natruals! The question is – will Kurt Angle be watching?

ALEX SHELLEY IS HIRED FOR ANOTHER PAPARAZZI SHOOT!

Alex Shelley has informed TNAwrestling.com that he has been hired by another client to film a video this week, the footage of which will air on Thursday’s “iMPACT!”. According to Shelley, this mission will be his most sensational and epic video shoot to date! Who has hired Shelley and what will he be filming? What could possibly top his past shoots, which included Sting’s family, Cage’s private life and the LAX attack on Team 3D’s uncle? We’ll find out Thursday night on “iMPACT! on SpikeTV!

Speaking of Alex Shelley…he’ll be in six-man action this Thursday night as it will be Jerry Lynn, Senshi and Jay Lethal taking on X Champion Chris Sabin, Alex Shelley and Austin Starr!

CAN ANYONE CONTROL THE MONSTER ABYSS?

Since Sting rid TNA of manager James Mitchell at “Against All Odds”, Abyss has be an uncontrollable destructive force in TNA Wrestling! With his “Last Rites” match against the icon coming up at “Destination X”, what carnage will Abyss unleash this Thursday night on SpikeTV? Will anyone be able to stop the monster? Tune in and find out!

Discuss...

So are they going anywhere with the division or will they have another #1 contenders match at teh PPV just to get everybody on the show? Well thats a new twist on the casket match! Sting wants Abyss to be a Born Again Christian! Convert or Die! Only Sting can save you from the darkside!

What the hell is that thing on Steiner's chin?

Ok, now that I've seen, that was stupid. Not necessarily Tomko going over Joe because of Christian's interference (I mentioned in the spoiler thread why I was ok with that), but WTF was the ref doing breaking up the muscle buster? Last time I checked, that was a perfectly legal move!

That marks the biggest win of Tomkos career there. I mena hes only the second man to beat Joe in TNA 1 on 1. The steiner-angle program obviously has better build then Joe-Christian. I'm interested to see if Kurt can carry Steiner to a decent match like Joe did. and come on tenay and west you had to be the only people in the world who didnt think Abyss would attack Joe. good six man tag at least. too bad impact cant get 2 hours

Impact needs a 3 man announcer team! Everytime they bring in a 3rd man its always an improvement to the announcing team it does not matter if it was Cornette, Nash, Shane Douglas, Simon Diamond, Bob Backland or the countless wrestlers that show up. By adding the the 3rd guy it hides the obvious weakness of West who tends to get over excited about everything and Tenay who tends to overdo the straight guy act acting outraged by making crazy faces to the camera.

Good lord TNA is blowing it with Samoa Joe right now. Think about that. His first major title match on a PPV and it's far less heated or interesting than Steiner/Angle, and he's also jobbing to Tyson Tomko the week before the show. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't Joe's title win be some sort of major moment for the company?

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't Joe's title win be some sort of major moment for the company?

I really don't think Joe's winning the title at this PPV. Nothing in the build suggests this is the "changing of the guard" moment Joe's win should be. If anything, it looks like they are setting up that not even Joe is invincible to the numbers game to build his quest they've just remembered to talk about again. I think he's more likely to win at LockDown if they go that route, or even at Slammiversary. But I don't see him winning at this show.

As for the show, it just seemed better than the last few weeks. Two 10 minute matches make me a happy camper, even if they both have screwy finishes. I guess I have Jarrett to thank for that, but a smart decision is a smart decision.

It was nice to see the X-D featured in something other than a Kevin Nash skit, but those guys looked like they got so used to the handcuffs being on that they didn't know what to do with ten minutes of time to work their spots in. It looks like Backlund's going to make Senshi his protege, which I've got no problem with, because it gives Senshi TV time and it could make for some funny moments with him playing straight man to Backlund like he did to Nash.

I'd say overall they're doing a decent enough job with the Steiner/Angle feud, but I don't get why Angle would try to attack Cornette if just last week he said he was out to save the company from people like Steiner.

It seems like LAX has been beating down Team 3D every week since Christmas, and yet, for me anyway, the feud is just not clicking. Russo needs to watch some tapes of Impact from the summer to see what got LAX over in the first place. Konnan's still awesome on the mic, though. I marked out for "get the tables" in Spanish. Joe was carrying Tomko to a decent TV main event, when the finish caused me to totally suspend my disbelief. The referee attempted to break up a perfectly legal move just so he could be "distracted" when Christian hit the ring. They would have been better off doing a ref bump a few minutes before that and having Slick Johnson come down and count the pin.

That said though, compared to what we've been getting, this show was much better IMO.

I'm not seeing where Joe got humiliated there. He gets hit in the back with a chair and gets his head nearly clotheslined off. Then he fights off two men before a third is needed to stop him, gets up after getting nailed with Christian's finisher and then gets caught by surprise because he was more focused on Christian than Abyss. Pretty much showed it takes a LOT to keep him down and even then, he keeps getting up and coming back for more. It wasn't until the third damn super move that the guy had nothing left in the tank.

As for why the ref would come over, I've seen them come over a few times. The difference being Tomko's arm length can grab where the other guys just kinda get slammed. Plus wasn't he already close to the corner? Ref's have never exactly been the smartest breed in wrestling. Now that I saw it, I have even less of a problem. I don't hold a guy's win-loss record from another company in a fake sport against them so I'm not exactly sure why Tomko beating Joe destroys Joe just because Tomko lost predetermined matches somewhere else.

Insano Sting is just hilariously fun, I just haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

This week was much better in comparison than what had being going on the last few months. I'm glad to see the matches get more time. Like ChrisMWaters said, I seem to remember Austin get outnumbered on several occasions before Wrestlemania. However, Joe's build hasn't been nearly strong enough. I would hope they're going the old school route of "face is much better but heel has a gang, so face gets his shot in a cage." That seems likely, and having Joe destroy Christian in the cage at Lockdown would be great. Then they can slow build to Joe vs. Angle for BFG with Joe getting the decisive win over the one man he never dominated.

It's more like Ref Hebner-ism where there is a ref bump right before the good guy attempts his famous move and the bad guy has his henchmen beatup good guy while ref is looking for his contact lens. Then Russo gives the face a rematch on tv and wins it a 6 minute match then everybody runs in and Cornette accidently hits Christian with his tennis racket even though he was aiming for Kurt Angle or Steiner.

- Impact did a 1.1 last night with 1.4 million viewers. What's interesting is that the main event with Joe vs. Tomko was the lowest-rated quarter of the show.

Alvarez.

Looking back...

HOW many times did Austin get humiliated before his title win over Shawn Michaels back in 1998?

Just noting.

How many times did Austin get pinned in the lead up to his title win by a virtual scrub who has never beaten anyone and isn't even that over without someone else to leech heat off?

Also someone said that Joe was probably not going to win the title at Destination X, which is another mistake in itself. I feel Joe should win the title on his first try, not second or third or one hundredth try. In conclusion, the whole thing with TNA and Joe is just making me frown and shake my head.

The Rock did jobs, albeit tainted one's, to Mark Henry, Steve Blackman, and The Hurricane to name just a few. They didn't seem to affect his credibility/popularity in the long run.

- Impact did a 1.1 last night with 1.4 million viewers. What's interesting is that the main event with Joe vs. Tomko was the lowest-rated quarter of the show.

Alvarez.

Looking back...

HOW many times did Austin get humiliated before his title win over Shawn Michaels back in 1998?

Just noting.

How many times did Austin get pinned in the lead up to his title win by a virtual scrub who has never beaten anyone and isn't even that over without someone else to leech heat off?

Well, he did to lose to a back then not as experienced as he would be 6 years later Mr. McMahon in matches....

Or at least one match, IIRC.

Alvarez.

Looking back...

Just noting.

Well, he did to lose to a back then not as experienced as he would be 6 years later Mr. McMahon in matches....

Or at least one match, IIRC.

I should have specified that I meant in the lead up to his first title win againt Shawn.

And the answers is none (at least according to memory and Cawthon's site). Beating Joe two weeks before what should be, unless TNA really have lost their minds, his first NWA Title win, is stupid. Mindnumbingly so. Joe getting beaten up three-on-one to build heat for the title match? Not so bad, but would have been better without Abyss laying him out as well. Joe actually getting beaten? Ass backwards booking at its worst.

Joe's not gonna win the title anytime soon. The smart thing to do is keep the title on Christian Cage for quite a while, to make it more meaningful when Joe or whoever else finally overcomes Christian and his gang, and finally beats him.