TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest One Bad Apple

Disturbing Cinema

Guest evenflowDDT
I Spit On Your Grave kind of scares you if you're a male.  Not because of the male killings, but because of what men are capable of.  Sometimes the scariest thing is having the fear of hurting something besides yourself.

I agree fully, which is why I thinkFreaks is such an effective film, because it's more about what we, the "normal" people do and how cruelly we act towards others than what the "freaks" actually do.

Also, from a real life standpoint, I can say that although I have always wanted a relationship, I've always been afraid of hurting someone (not physically, but mentally) or "going too far" and inadvertently making someone uncomfortable because I have done both before (the latter often, unfortunately).  I don't want to hurt anyone, so I honestly don't know how to act... and that's our real life thought of the moment.  Now back to the escape that is cinema!

I didn't really find I Spit On Your Grave that disturbing, mostly because I despised the movie. It was horribly made and shot, and I thought her "revenge" was much tamer than what I had been lead to believe.

For another D grade rape/revenge movie try Demented.

Guest Risk

It's all this damn testosterone that makes us so violent.  It gives us the desire to procreate.  Even if we don't want to, our body does.  Broken down biologically, males CAN BE very dominating when mating.  According to some scientists, the main reason humans are in such great number is because the urge of the male is so strong.

Weird.  Being a male, this kind of freaks me out.

Guest Anorak

I thought it would be pretty relevant for all UK posters on this thread to say that Channel 4 is currently doing an 'Extreme Cinema' season at the moment. 'Man Bites Dog' was on last night and 'Ring' is on next week.

The nastiest film i saw recently was 'The New York Ripper', a really rough and tacky Lucio Fulci film. Some people supposedly called it one of the most misogynistic films ever made. There are certainly some scenes in the film which are pretty indefensible, one VERY protracted scene has the killer using a pair of razor blades to slowly cut a womans nipples off and violate her. Every female character in the film is portrayed as a whore and is butchered for it. It's a typical example of the excesses many Italian exploitation films displayed in the 70's and early 80's.

Despite many horror films being deliberately excessive in terms of censor baiting violence or gore you can't beat a good pychological horror film. To be honest i find films like 'Ripper' to be offensive because they are just awfully made exercises in cheap shock tactics,really powerful or disturbing horror films play on our fears in much more imaginative ways.

Guest Ravenbomb

I just saw Last House on the Left...and...

H¤LY CR@P!!!!

The scene with the mom and Weasel by the lake is just sick and painful to watch. Luckily, Cartoon Network was showing stuff like Powerpuff Girls and Dexters Lab during and after the movie, so I could balance it out some.

OOOOOOOOWWW~!!!

Guest evenflowDDT

Hmmm... I've never seen Last House on the Left, I'll have to check if my local Hollywood has it.  I can add it to my mental "must rent" list at number one since I've given up on Wicker Man ever being in stock, and since they rearranged some of the store they don't even have the display box up for it anymore! Not a good sign...

To the people who've seen Wicker Man, would you say it's disturbing? From what I've heard, it's very good and a little unnverving, but nowhere near the same vein as some of the films mentioned in this forum.

Plus, speaking of films that ARE disturbing (or really really really shocking), I heard that the oft-mentioned, much-banned Cannibal Holocaust is actually available on DVD! Is this true? I thought I'd have to buy some generated VHS copy from the same types of online "bizarre" video stores that sell old sexploitation and "educational" films, but if it's really on DVD... where can I get it and how much is it?

Guest J*ingus

I don't know about a DVD version, but I bought a pirated VHS copy of Cannibal Holocaust on ebay a while back, and the quality was pretty good.  As for the movie itself, oh dear god in heaven, it fully deserves every possible hyperbole that could be flung at it.  There are a few other competitors, but this is one of those movies that I wouldn't disagree with being called THE Sickest Movie Of All Time.