TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Replacing Your Harddrive.

Is it your hard drive that went to shit or your actual CPU? Or are you using CPU as just a catch all?

Hard drive = Easy. Pull the old one out, put the cables back in the way you took them out and reinstall windows. Only thing is to check and see if your drive is IDE (may also be labeled as EIDE or PATA at the store) or a SATA drive.

I'm pretty sure it is my Hard drive went to shit, but either way I want to replace it.

Well everytime I boot the computer up, it goes to the Compaq screen, and thats it. Can't trouble shoot or anything.

Guest Queen Leelee

Do you have a spare hard drive? Try using that before assuming the HD is the problem.

They're easy to install, like Rant says.

Do you have a bootable disc, such as an install disc or a system repair/restore disc?

If you do and it doesn't boot, then you know you're probably not looking at an issue with the drive.

So what am I looking for then? Did my CPU just crap out on me then?

I had the same problem, and it ended up being the power source.

If you power supply is bad, go to back of the computer. Find where the plug is and pull it out. Then smell the back of the computer. If the your computer smells burnt, it's the power supply.

If the power supply is bad, remove the PS and try to find out how many watts it was designed for. If it is 300 watts then buy a PS with at least 300 watts. Look on NewEgg.com . They have good deals on power supplies.