TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 4/23 - 4/29

Down 1-0 in the bottom of the 10th with two outs and two strikes, Damion Easley hits a pinch hit solo home run to save the Mets from defeat. God damn that was amazing.

Onto the 11th...

Guest Richard McBeef

My year is over, so I'm just gonna follow the American League or something, I guess.

Toronto smashes Boston and wins the first two games in the series after being swept by a terrible Orioles team. God bless baseball.

Those were the only 2 games, now they get to play the Yankees.

Guest Queen Leelee

Randall Johnson fairly effective so far. 5 K's in 3 innings. But, a HR given up to Adrian "Would be awesome if he didn't play in that gigantic stadium" Gonzalez.

Guest Richard McBeef
Maybe you can adopt the Twins or Indians instead.

I like a lot of the Twins, I admire the A's, and I enjoy the Red Sox when they're not being force-fed to us. Cubs are 6 back pending tonight's loss, so they're pretty much through, though.

Im on board the Melvin Mora is an idiot train!

After last night and todays baffling error where he went running around angry instead of covering 3rd which allowed a runner to 3rd and eventually to score, I hope he gets benched a game.

Everyones going "perlozzo doesn't have the guts to stand up to the players and actually say/do something" and gee..Im starting to agree.

Im not sure I agree just yet, but..

Fire Sam Perlozzo

I like a lot of the Twins, I admire the A's, and I enjoy the Red Sox when they're not being force-fed to us. Cubs are 6 back pending tonight's loss, so they're pretty much through, though.

Settle down, Richard McCartman

Guest Queen Leelee

Hey, Czech, stop being a whiny bitch and be content complaining about your stupid team every game. Thanks.

Guest Richard McBeef

Hey, stop being a fucking cunt and stop using full names for players, thanks

Guest Richard McBeef

Settle down, Richard McCartman

Look how they're playing. They don't win in extra innings. They don't come back from one run down. They don't come back from two runs down. They're trotting out horrible position players like Izturis and Cedeno, and horrible pitchers like Miller, Dempster, and Eyre. Soriano and Lee don't have home runs. Tonight, they stranded at least seven in scoring position, grounding into double plays to end the inning twice, once with the bases loaded. This is a bad team. I don't see how they can come back from 6 back. There's still such a defeatist culture with this team lingering after Dusty's departure.

And Endy Chavez further cements his status as a Mets folk hero as he hits a walkoff drag bunt single to win the game for New York in the 12th. Great, great game.

Guest Queen Leelee
Hey, stop being a fucking cunt and stop using full names for players, thanks

No.

And I'm very excited about Ra. Johnson. If he can return to previous hoss status, I see the D-Backs easily winning the West. Unless the Dodgers get like a couple good hitters via trades.

I can't wait until Alexander is all "fuck you" to New York in October, and plays in the Southwest.

Southwest? As much as you may be praying for it I don't see him signing with Arizona and I'm not seeing many other teams that can be considered in the Southwest.

Arizona isn't likely. I doubt they'd be willing to pay for him, plus we have a decent SS/3B already with Drew and Tracy.

Anaheim is likely. I'd go to games just to see him.

I just don't consider So-Cal the Southwest. To me all of Cali is just the West Coast to me. There are no different sections.

Couple things from tonight's Red Sox game;

First and formost I never again want to hear a "Wily Mo Pena as the regular CFer" uproar again. I had the guy pegged as a very good power hitting righty off the bench that could mash lefties. Only problem with that is many of your lefties have a nasty off-speed pitch and this guy is the real life version of Pedro Cerrano. "Fastball I hit very much. Curveball bat has hole". They should trade him while he has any value left...maybe to a team like Oakland which is losing OFers left and right.

I figure that after Lester replaces Freddy Krueger as the 5th man in the rotation all this team will really need is a decent righty to come off the bench (Xavier Nady of the Pirates would be my choice) and somebody they can bring in as a pinch runner that can swipe a bag.

If it's any consolation, the Cardinals aren't doing much better than the Cubs. I'm not a fan of either, but meh. It seems like the Cardinals' problems lie deeper than Chris Carpenter, too. They just don't seem to be playing good at all.

If it's any consolation, the Cardinals aren't doing much better than the Cubs. I'm not a fan of either, but meh. It seems like the Cardinals' problems lie deeper than Chris Carpenter, too. They just don't seem to be playing good at all.

To make matters worse, Pujols appeared to be hurt running out a grounder.

The Cubs have actually outscored their opponents so far this season. Their problem is that they're 0-5 in one-run games. Considering the Yankees are also in last place, I think it's premature to count them out.

Guest Richard McBeef

What about all the signs of baseball retardation?

-Mark DeRosa runs to first, is about to be thrown out at first but the throw is off the mark allowing him to reach on an error, but he forgets to step on the base and is tagged out anyway.

-Ronny Cedeno steals second on ball four (?), but slides past the base and is tagged out.

-Henry Blanco pops up a bunt and almost hits into a triple play if not for runner interference.

-Michael Barrett swings on a 3-0 pitch outside the zone to end the inning.

-Matt Murton fails to run home on a wild pitch.

-Derrek Lee is caught stealing third during an Aramis Ramirez at-bat that led to a home run.

-Alfonso Soriano is picked off first a shitload of times.

-Lou Piniella uses Will Ohman for anything but mop-up.

C'mon, Al. These guys aren't winners.

-Derrek Lee is caught stealing third during an Aramis Ramirez at-bat that led to a home run.

In Lee's defense, he was safe on that play. No, he probably shouldn't have been running, but he was safe.

Come on, Czech. Those are all valid points you bring up, but it is still only April 25. There are 5 months to go and five other mediocre teams in the Central. Zambrano's gonna get his shit together, Lee's power will come, and the one-run games are bound to even out at some point--once that happens, they'll be in the Central race.

Milwaukee is showing itself to be well removed from mediocre. But, yeah, teams that were bad before can never improve.

Guest Richard McBeef

In Lee's defense, he was safe on that play. No, he probably shouldn't have been running, but he was safe.

Come on, Czech. Those are all valid points you bring up, but it is still only April 25.

Valid points? They're damning indictments of a team that still has no grasp on basic fundamental baseball. Trust me, I don't like to go Chicken Little this early, but there's not a lot of encouraging stuff here, and watching your ace fritter away 5-0 and 4-0 leads in consecutive starts is as discouraging as it gets. It's a very very flawed team, as we're starting to see, from how it was assembled, to how it's sent out day-to-day, to what they do once they're out there. And yes, it is, in fact, April 25, and yes, we've only lost 13 games, but 11 of those 13 losses are divisional losses, and those are going to bite this team in the ass if they do end up pulling themselves out of last place. You don't win pennants in April, but you lose them in April.