TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

OAO Sacrifice PPV Thread

--This is the tentative order of matches for Sacrifice:

*Chris Sabin vs. Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt for the X Division title. Match is designed to be a fast paced open for the show. I only hope this match isn't designed as a throw away to feature Bob Backlund.

*Rhino vs. Christopher Daniels. Both usually have good matches but the size dynamic makes it difficult. Daniels' new character should be a physically dominating and vicious heel, but that'll be tough with Rhino. You're guaranteed hard work. Probably will be good but not a lock.

*Chris Harris vs. James Storm in a Texas death match. They have to rebound after that awful blindfold match last month. The death match style, with the pins and 10 second rest periods, is tough to work for a modern crowd. Lots of quick and cheap pins isn't good, but to get the gimmick over, you need them. Again, I see this as one of those matches, like last month, where they'd have been better off just doing a straight match, particularly since the stip isn't exactly selling any extra buys.

*Tiger Mask vs. Senshi vs. Alex Shelley vs. Jerry Lynn. The negative here is it's largely a cold match that comes across as four guys thrown together. But on paper, it's a good match.

*VKM vs. Damaja & Basham. A tough match buried in the middle of the show and I'm guessing it'll be kept short. Damaja & Basham have a lot to prove. But they sure weren't taken as stars by the audience on Thursday when they shot the angle to set up this match.

*Jeff Jarrett vs Robert Roode. The reason the line-up isn't official is because this match may take place earlier if Jeff has to rush back home. This is a big match for Roode because he's working with a guy pushed as a main event babyface. I can't imagine Jarrett not winning in his first singles match on his return, particularly since Eric Young has to cause the finish. Working with the boss, if they have a great match, he ups his stock to where he'll get better positioning.

*A.J. Styles vs. Samoa Joe. Kind of a cold match, but they have potential to be a show stealing match.

*Team 3-D vs. LAX vs. Steiner & Tomko for the NWA tag titles. LAX and 3-D will probably be working very hard to atone for last match. If Steiner is limited to just spot duty and Tomko works well, this can be a good match.

*Christian Cage vs. Kurt Angle vs. Sting for the NWA title. Ref bump. Ankle lock. Tap Tap. No ref. Ref bump, Scorpion deathlock. Tap Tap. No ref. Belt shot, ref runs to count, 1, 2, kick out. Another ref bump. Hopefully this is different because it feels like every TNA main event is exactly the same.

On paper, this looks like one of their better shows as far as delivering good matches go. But I don't think the main event has the level of interest that their better drawing main events of the past 6-8 months have had. So I'm thinking good show and below the usual buy rate, maybe well below.

Pretty accurate foresight of the PPV, imo.

TNA is the perfect example of what bad booking can do to a promotion that, once, could do no wrong. Be interesting to see Tiger Mask tonight, thought not too sure how over he'll be.

I'm looking forward to this one tonight, I think the main event can really deliver, with the exception of maybe joe/angle there hasnt been a big match feel in tna recently, I think this could be a really good main event.

Thing is, I don't feel the main event has a big match feel at all, as much as I like Christian I can't buy into him as champion. I'm not blaming it soley on Christian as to why I don't feel like its a big match, just he's had so many cheap finishes that I've lost interest.

I'm not blaming it soley on Christian as to why I don't feel like its a big match, just he's had so many cheap finishes that I've lost interest.

Funnily enough, I think Christian was in the last NWA Title match in TNA that was a singles match with no stips and no ref bumps or interference at all. His match against Monty Brown last March was a regular match and featured a clean finish as well. I think that says it all about what's wrong with TNA.

That aside, it does look like a good card. Id almost go as far as to say, im looking forward to this PPV.

One poster, I think it was cabbageboy, ended up buying Lockdown at the last minute. I think he might have been the only one here who did. I do know that it used to be a half dozen or a dozen people here would buy the PPV, and now it's down to one or two impulse buys and that's it.

Well, I'm currently at the computer at work.

I have to say this much: I've talked to people who are wrestling fans, told them about tonights PPV main event, and they were interested and said that they may buy it.

Take that for what it's worth.

I'm not blaming it soley on Christian as to why I don't feel like its a big match, just he's had so many cheap finishes that I've lost interest.

Funnily enough, I think Christian was in the last NWA Title match in TNA that was a singles match with no stips and no ref bumps or interference at all. His match against Monty Brown last March was a regular match and featured a clean finish as well. I think that says it all about what's wrong with TNA.

A whole year since a clean Title match? Is that even possible?

What are the chances Abyss makes a run in tonight during the title match, only to have Mitchell unleash his new guy on Abyss?

Here in the UK we get the PPVs free, so can't really complain, only I do and so does my mate who comes over to watch them. TNA has dive bombed so hard since Angle its unreal.

Agreed. My g/f and I used to like TNA, but she hates Angle anyway, and the combined arrival of Angle to dominate the main event scene and Russo overbooking some crazy shit means it's all gone wrong. I'm glad I get the PPVs free, because I certainly wouldn't pay for them. God bless Bravo 2.

Christian actually works as a main eventer now he's a heel, because he's a whiny, sneaking but INTELLIGENT heel. He plays the evil mastermind role so much better than Jarrett did, plus he doesn't always have to rely on underlings to help him out (sometimes he just cheats, which at least is him relying on himself). But otherwise they keep bringing in big names like Sting and Angle to clog up the main event scene, which just means that the real talent like Styles, Daniels, Joe etc is kept down. Imagine the sort of matches that Daniels, Styles and Joe could have over the World Title instead of the X-Division! And then you could move people like Shelley and Dutt up to X-Division Title level.

Oh, and someone please kill VKM now. Now.

Shitty card.

Full of multi-man matches and awful tag matches.

Not interested.

Jarrett/Roode, Harris/Storm, VKM/Bashams, Steiner/Tomko teaming, and AJ/Joe used as a throwaway match are the stuff of nightmares.

PPV opens with the X-Division three way. They also have a new mascot, a man in a kangaroo suit called Stomper.

TNA X DIVISION TITLE MATCH

CHRIS SABIN © VS “BLACK MACHISMO” JAY LETHAL VS SONJAY DUTT

Lethal is over like crazy once again. Sabin’s gameplan early on was to have Dutt and Lethal turn on each other, but it backfired. Well, it did for a minute anyway, as Dutt and Lethal kept cutting into each other’s offense on Sabin. Dutt and Lethal then had a cool fast paced exchanged with Sabin outside the ring. Already the duelling chants have started up as Sabin works over Lethal. Some nice moves, and although a spotfest in places, they’re not burning the crowd out, and are being smart to mix it up between having all three in the ring and working exchanges with just two involved. The cameras cut to “Stomper” who is TNA’s new mascot. He’s a rabbit. I think.

Lethal hit the double ax handle from the top rope to Sabin on the outside. Dutt then hit a springboard moonsault to the outside. Dutt missed a dropkick from the toprope. He aimed for Sabin, but he moved, and Dutt nailed Lethal. Sabin hit a big suplex on Dutt for a nearfall. Dutt gave Sabin a kick to the head but Sabin responded with a big clothesline as Dutt came off the ropes. Dutt hit an awesome combo on Sabin with an overhead kick to the head then a legdrop on the ring apron. Dutt then took it to Lethal but Sabin charged in and hit dropkicks to both guys.

Lethal hit a superkick to Sabin, then an overhead suplex on Dutt. Lethal then hit the top rope elbow on Sabin but Dutt broke the count. Lethal hit a backbreaker-faceplant combo on Sabin but Dutt again broke the count. Dutt hit a 450 and tried to pin Sabin but he kicked out on two. Lethal and Dutt argued a little, and Sabin shoved Dutt, who fell onto Lethal. Sabin then rolled Dutt up and got the quick pinfall win.

Winner and still X Division Champion: Chris Sabin.

Really good match to open the show. Post-match, Dutt and Lethal fought in the ring. Kevin Nash came to the ring and broke it up. Dutt took a cheap shot and kicked Nash in the leg before leaving.

Footage was shown of VKM being attacked by Basham and Damaja earlier today at a pre-PPV “meet and greet” session. Don West said BG James had a “super severe concussion".

The NWA have just issued the following statement to WrestleMag.com during this evening’s TNA Sacrifice PPV which is ongoing:

NWA™ Executive Director, Robert K. Trokich announces that the storied National Wrestling Alliance® has ended its 5 year relationship with TNA Entertainment, LLC. Trobich also stripped Christain Cage and Team 3-D of the NWA™ branded Championships. A title tourny is being planned to establish a new NWA™Worlds Heavyweight Champion.

Jarrett vs. Roode is next.

Massive pop for Jarrett’s entrance. Roode attacked him on the ramp as his pyro was still going off. They brawled around ringside for a couple of minutes before Jarrett tossed Roode into the ring. The crowd were totally into Jarrett throughout. Traci Brooks interfered to allow Roode back into the match. He threw Jarrett shoulder first into the ring steps on the outside before returning to the ring and getting a near fall.

Roode dominated from here, with Traci helping him out whenever the referee’s back was turned. Jarrett mounted a comeback and got a near fall from a backslide before Roode knocked him back down with a clothesline. He put Jarrett in the figure four, but the hold was broken. Jarrett eventually made his comeback, and locked the figure four on Roode. Roode tapped, but the referee was again distracted by Traci. Jarrett chased her off, but Roode hung Jarrett up over the top rope. He took out Jarrett’s knee and crotched him into the ringpost. Traci interfered some more, and after Jarrett had Roode laid out, she pulled the referee out of the ring. The referee ejected her, and had to took her to the back himself. This gave Roode the chance to cheap shot Jarrett, and he laid him out with a shot with handcuffs in his hand. Jarrett kicked out on two. Roode tried to hit Jarrett with his guitar but the referee blocked it. Roode shoved the referee, who shoved him back. Jarrett tried for the Stroke but Roode blocked it and shoved Jarrett into a turnbuckle that had been exposed earlier in the match before making the cover and getting the win.

Winner: Robert Roode

Roode took the mic and said he was going to knock Jarrett out with the guitar. Jeff blocked it and put Roode in the figure four. Traci returned to the ring and got the guitar but Eric Young made the save to a big pop. He put Traci in the figure four before she and Roode ran off to the back.

Backstage, Team Cage were holding a victory party. Cage called his match as being for the NWA World Title. I guess that NWA press release we just posted on the site hasn’t reached Orlando yet. Steiner was upset with Cage as Tomko was yet to show up.

Daniels vs. Rhino is up next.

I'll update this post with results and such.

SO far it's been a solid PPV. The opening Three-Way X-Division match was fast-paced and fun to watch. Roode vs Jarrett was maybe a ** match at most. Jarrett really needs some time in the ring to get the ring rust off. Daniels vs Rhino was a good brawl. I liked the fact that this feud isn't over yet. Kip James vs Damaja/Basham was not very good, then again Kip James is shit.

One poster, I think it was cabbageboy, ended up buying Lockdown at the last minute. I think he might have been the only one here who did. I do know that it used to be a half dozen or a dozen people here would buy the PPV, and now it's down to one or two impulse buys and that's it.

Actually, as stated a few times there have only been 2 PPV's from TNA that I haven't bought. When I get the PPV, they aren't impulse buys as I don't wacth WWE very much if at all anymore.

I personally don't think Angle is the new champion at all. In fact I thought it was quite clear that Sting had the 3 count on Christian and then tapped out to Angle right after. Why Sting would actually tap at all in that situation when HE HAD THE PINFALL I have no idea. I mean he can't hang on another 5 seconds? He was in the move about 10 seconds and was just tapping like crazy.

Having just read that the NWA stripped TNA of the belts I have to think that was to create a title vacancy and then they will fill the vacancy at Slammiversary. That said, this is yet another cheap, crummy finish to a PPV for TNA. These guys just do not know how to book a main event that's simply a quality match with no bullshit. Honestly, it's time to quit the bullshit TNA. The trouble is that now they've set up a title vacancy and a new champ will be crowned with the KOTM match at Slammiversary, which is possibly the worst way to get a guy over with the new belt. Ooooooh, he hung it from the ceiling, what a champ!

I'm assuming much of the booking tonight was to set up blowoffs in June. Tonight was a very heel dominated PPV in a lot of ways. I'm perplexed as to what they see in Chris Sabin as X champ, since he's not especially over (and never has been whenever he gets the belt), they have Black Machismo right there to put it on, and Sabin and Shelley desperately need to start tagging and go for those belts.

Decent show tonight. Best match was certainly Harris and Storm, they made up for the debacle last month by bleeding buckets here tonight. My only quibble was that Storm needed to go after that bad eye a hell of a lot more. You've busted the dude open, he was blind in one eye....piston the hell out of it. Study your old school Lawler!

by Dave Meltzer

The finish of tonight's TNA main event, where it appeared going off the air that Kurt Angle had won the NWA title in a three-way, will end up resulting in an announcement the title will be held up. The announcement will be made at the first hour of the Impact tapings tomorrow night.

This will set the stage for the split. The NWA title will return to the auspices of the NWA. TNA will create the TNA heavyweight title which will be decided in a King of the Mountain match at Slammiversary on 6/17 in Nashville.

From the results it actually looks like a good PPV (albiet a poor finish).

And i think were all suprised that Roode got the win over JJ.

And as cabbageboy said, they need to get the belt of Sabin so they can push him and Shelley in the tag team division. Which is in some dire need of revamping. Remember when they had an awesome tag team division.

Overall a solid PPV for one that didn't really mean anything. This has always been the blowoff PPV before Slamversary. Haris vs Storm certainly stole the show. I don't mind the end of the main event so much since it does set up for the main event at 'Versary. JJ putting Rooder over was fine since that means at the next PPV we won't have JJ in the main event scene, plus when he was winning people were bitching he wasn't putting anyone over (when I say that, I mean all over the internet people were bitching). Everyone already knows that Lethal is going to win it, so why not have it happen at your biggest PPV? I have no problem with that. It's gonna happen. Overall a good PPV but nothing spectacular.

What makes you think that Jarrett won't be main eventing Slammiversary? The show is in Nashville, which I'm sure JJ views as his town, so I'd assume he'll at least be IN the KOTM match. I'd be shocked if we don't get a KOTM qualifier rematch with JJ/Roode with Young costing Roode the match. Jarrett would be completely going against his new character though if he desperately tried to win that KOTM though. He'd almost have to be like Sting last year and put Christian or whomever in the Figure 4 while someone else heaves the belt.

Incidentally what is with that particular angle, the guy who is selfless and doesn't want to win the title? If you're not in it to win, go home.

The usual TNA PPV, with good to great wrestling hampered by weak booking and bad production.

I'll give Jarrett credit for losing to Roode when he could have easily won instead, though it wasn't like Roode was really put over here. I did like that Eric Young was finally put in a position to come Jarrett's rescue, given that he was the one Roode and Traci had been abusing for so long.

Some of the bigger moments of the PPV, like Harris's big win and Kurt winning the NWA/TNA Title had none of the impact they could have given how they cut away almost the second the match was over.

My biggest problem with the finish to the main event is that, like with every main event finish to a TNA PPV, it neither conclusively proved who the better man is nor is it leading to a match where it'll be conclusively proven who the better man is. It's leading to a match, the King of the Mountain match, where the winner will be who can climb the best. Nobody wins an NWA/TNA title match because they're the better man. They win, or lose, because of ref bumps, run-ins, weapons or, in the case of the main event next month, because they can climb the best.

HTQ, I've said it for months. TNA desperately needs to put the belt on someone and say "The hell with it, this is our MAN." Ever since its inception TNA has had a series of weak champions, either Jarrett doing his Memphis heel schtick with countless run ins, ref bumps, and guitar shots....or the various transition guys that don't get a chance to do much. Christian is essentially in the JJ role now.

TNA needs a strongly booked face champion in the worst way. The only guy that makes any sense is Joe. Put the belt on him, and then job guys out cleanly and decisively to him.

TNA needs a strongly booked face champion in the worst way. The only guy that makes any sense is Joe. Put the belt on him, and then job guys out cleanly and decisively to him.

It needs to be Joe, without question. He was doing fine for the most part until they went to the three man team of Jarrett/Russo/Mantel. Since then, Joe's turned into just another guy who means maybe a tenth of what he did at his peak. Angle was only special for about a month before being turned into just another guy on the roster.

They should have captalised on Joe's popularity last year, Ive always said that and i always will.

They should have captalised on Joe's popularity last year, Ive always said that and i always will.

Same here. I would have loved for a Joe vs. Jarrett vs. Sting, with Joe just dominating both guys at Bound For Glory. That's really what I think they should've gone with.