TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Im looking to buy a new monitor

As I've just been promoted at work with some extra cash, I'm looking to buy myself a new monitor, I love the PC I've got, the only problem is its an old 17"crt monitor which is big, ugly and the picture is shit, I'm looking for a really nice big one for gaming but tbh I'm not sure about some of the acronyms(response time and so on), what sort of things should I be looking at to distinguish a really good TFT from a crap one, ideally I want the biggest resolution I can get.

What kind of Computer you got? I got one of those flat screen monitors which is pretty nice.

Its a 2.4ghz athlon with gig of ram and vista, and a 180 gig hard drive, not the fastest in the world, but it will run far cry and half life 2 and that does me

Guest Vitamin X

Go for any of Westinghouse's monitors. One of them is good enough to actually be serving me as my HDTV until I save up to buy a really good one later on this year. It's a 19" monitor, and it cost me only about $200 from tigerdirect.com.. Again, it's awesome because of the TV capabilities.

But if you're looking for a really good value, for the same price you can hook up two 15"-17" monitors and bust out a dual display, which is always sexy.

If you're gaming, a cheap CRT will have a better refresh rate than a cheap LCD. I had a 19" flat screen CRT for the longest time, and even though it was massive, it was great for games.

A lot of the newer LCD's should be able to match the refresh rate, though.

Yeah, the problem with the CRT that I have is that its old(the pc was self built and i kind of ran out of money near the end lol), it wont run 1024x768 or anything above that at 75khz, only 60khz, so I either have a high resolution and my brain fried, or everything sharp and massive.