Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

Golf Thread - June

Guest George's Box
Its a major championship

in golf

It's in the United States

so are 15 baseball games

Tiger Woods could possibly get his 13th major.

Noboy cares how many grand slams Federer racks up but he's Swiss and white so who cares

Oakmont where the course is beating up the players badly

mass underachievement in a businessman's sport isn't a big deal

Besides the Yanks/Sox/Cubs can take a back seat for a while.

THIS long?

I think the President's cup should be North America vs International Team.

A buddy of mine called for this during the Ryder Cup last year, and I'll re-iterarte again now.

How much difference would Ames instead of JJ Henry make? And even that's no lock.

Mickelson has been told not to pick up a club for the next two weeks to heal his wrist.

I have to believe that he either won't play at Carnoustie or won't be a factor at all.

He's only ever really had the one good British showing, but I don't see him withdrawing from a major. Unfortunate he won't be playing this week (though he's entered), as a tourney like this could use a few big names considering where it is on the tour's schedule, a tournament Phil also won twice.

Hunter Mahan gets his first tour win after an extremely entertaining final few holes. Bogeys on 16 and 17 opened the door for Jay Williamson to get into a playoff, but not before Williamson missed a six-foot birdie putt to win outright.

And it's on to Warwick Hills, where defending champ Tiger will not be playing.

Sucks for Williamson -- I always like seeing Nationwide guys do well and make the big tour in the middle of the season. The $650K that he won could be enough to get him into the top 125 for the year, though.

Sucks for Williamson -- I always like seeing Nationwide guys do well and make the big tour in the middle of the season. The $650K that he won could be enough to get him into the top 125 for the year, though.

Even if it's not, he's got another crack in Flint this weekend via his top 10 finish yesterday. I'm sure he'll have no trouble getting a few sponsor's invites if he wants decides to focus on the PGA Tour instead of the nationwide.

We have a new contender for dumbest quote of the year, from Michelle Wie after her round at the U.S. Women's Open Thursday:

"It's just a very fine line between shooting 69 and shooting what I shot today," she said. "It's really frustrating because my scores aren't showing the way I'm playing."

And what she shot was 82.

Really good finish looming at Warwick. Brian Bateman has a chance to outright win with a birdie on 18. If he pars, he'll join Justin Leonard, Jason Gore, and Woody Austin at -13. And Scott Verplank is still on the course at -12.