TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

The OAO Slammiversary Thread

BTW, I was just thinking about the Jarrett interview, and it occured to me that it was the first time that I can remember that they admitted Jarrett owned the company on TV? I know they hinted at it during his first heel run, but they never out and out said it. Just a thought...

The only match they made too short that should have went longer was Daniels vs Sting, but I guess they figure since the feud is going to stretch out over time they would do it this way. I don't agree with it at all because it made the Fallen Angel look weak as hell.

The Lethal/Sabin match was very good, 3D vs Rick/Animal was mercifully short, disappointed how quickly Damaja/Basham got defeated for the boring Hoyt turn, and I'm guessing the LAX vs Rhino/Senshi thing isn't over either.

KOTM was very good, Tomko/Abyss was a nice garbage brawl, and I really liked the X title match. The matches I knew I wouldn't care about were kept short and the only thing that pissed me off as I said was Sting/Daniels.

Overall, I was pleased.

Regarding the Nash thing, the idea that he has heel and face friends is a fun idea (Sabin/Shelley and also Lethal) but the execution of it was so utterly bizarre and off key that it fell flatter than most angles I've ever seen. There was no way of knowing what the hell was going on.

Some people have ranted that Styles should have won or come very close to winning the main event. Why exactly? The dude has become a JTTS midcard comedy heel and Christian's lackey. He isn't remotely world title caliber at the moment (as in gimmick wise). I think Styles is a great wrestler, but he's a bit small for a heavyweight title and he's seen as above the X title at this point.

As far as Daniels goes, it's not like Sting is some master backstage politician demanding to be put over. They just booked him to win. Daniels is a competent worker but to me he just lacks that "it" quality that makes a main eventer. His look, his size, his solid but not usually jawdropping moveset, mic skills are average to mediocre. He's upper midcarder for life.

I really enjoyed the PPV to be honest, the only that left me alittle disappointed was Angle winning the title, but I think I got swept up in the notion that Chris Harris was going to win haha.

Overall I thought it was a very strong show - everything but the VKM match was solid to me. KOTM match was a solid **** in my book, and a handful of other matches (opener, X division title match, Abyss-Tomko, etc) were in the above *** range. The Wycheck match even surprised me, as well as Backlund's match, as being at least entertaining. Plus it was a very hot crowd, which made the show stand out pretty well.

i posted my thoughts on a different board and i'll share them here:

ok finished Slammy and here's my thoughts:

LAX vs RhiShi (***) solid opening match for the PPV i'm a little upset LAX goes from top of the food chain to being relegated to the kids table for a lack of a better word still they give us great matches, i know people say openers set the tone of the show, but i dont buy into that logic as the next few matches showed

Sabin vs Lethal (** 1/2) given two great workers i expected a little be more from them, good match but kinda sent the PPV into a downward trend, i am glad Jay got his first major title, but the X-Division is seriously lacking depth right now it seems its just Dutt and Lethal

Wycheck/Lynn vs Storm/Truth (* 1/2) i dont have anything againist celebs and sports stars in wrestling but i think they are better served as mangers or refs, this match just didnt do a thing for me, and i found it funny Killings was tryin to get a face pop and act heel at the same time, i will say if Wycheck pursues a career with time he might be a decent wrestler

Backlund/Shelley (DUD) gah this match stunk and Shelley gets buried yet again, and i am lost as to why he attacked Jerry and then split when Jay showed up, guess in time it might make sense then again i dont know

Voodoo Kin Mafia vs Basham and Damaja (*) another bad match, the only redeeming thing from this was Hoyt turning and Christy being hot, i pray we dont get a sex celebration out of this

Eric Young vs Robert Roode (**) i'll give them their due they worked hard in this match, but hopefully this is the end of the storyline

3D vs Rick Steiner and Animal (* 1/2) cool to see Animal, did anyone noticed he seem to be limping quite a bit during the match, not really all that great but i will say Rick's in good shape

Sting vs Daniels (**) given how good Daniels is i expected a tad better from the match, i do think Daniels looked good even in defeat, seriously Sting needs to put some guys over

Tomko vs Abyss (*** 1/2) i think this match and KOTM saved the show from being a complete let down, i am slowly finding myself liking Tomko, both men took wicked bumps

KOTM (****) in TNA this year its been hard to get a legit MOTYC but i think this match did just that, i actually thought Harris had a legit shot at winning, i hope they give him a serious push and i think TNA really needs a midcard title badly, also did anyone notice when Angle took bumps he looked like he was in legit pain

overall i would give this show a 6/10, i mean for one of their top PPVs the show was a bit of a let down, now if this was like a transitional PPV i would probably give it a 7 or 8 out of 10, Sacrifice was much better then Slammy, Slammy was like a sandwich with great bread with bad lunch meat

I enjoyed the show, good matches with a few duds but overall it was a good show.

Not great, but good.

My biggest complaint from the PPV is that they never let a win sink into the home crowd. As soon as the winner is announced they seem to cut straight to the back.

And i loved the Christian Coalition promo before the (suprisingly) good Tomko/Abyss match.

My biggest complaint from the PPV is that they never let a win sink into the home crowd. As soon as the winner is announced they seem to cut straight to the back.

They seemed to be running short around the middle of the PPV. The pace quickened with shorter matches and virtually no aftermath after the matches.

Enjoyable enough show, just too much stuff seemed to be happening for no reason.

The only matches that I out right didn't enjoy were VKM vs Damaja/Basham, 3D vs Animal/Steiner. Everything else was at least somewhat fun to watch.

I'm full of love for Sabin, I'm glad he lost the X title, it's clearly for the greater good. The MCMG can happen full time now, hopefully it means the end of Alex Shelley being jobbed out to everyone.

Something about Chris Harris really irks me and I can't put my finger on what it is. I'd gladly take Storm getting the push over him.

Something about Chris Harris really irks me and I can't put my finger on what it is. I'd gladly take Storm getting the push over him.

I think you can say the same thing about the Nashville crowd, because he was getting audible boos for what was a pure babyface spot in the match. That was suprising, to me anyway, because of how over he was when he was chasing Jarrett for the belt in the Asylum days. Either way, a little elevation for him and Storm is good because they're homegrown guys and they usually have good matches.

I think you can say the same thing about the Nashville crowd, because he was getting audible boos for what was a pure babyface spot in the match. That was suprising, to me anyway, because of how over he was when he was chasing Jarrett for the belt in the Asylum days. Either way, a little elevation for him and Storm is good because they're homegrown guys and they usually have good matches.

From everything I heard, the old Asylum crowd was almost completely absent at the PPV. Most of those folks are still pissed at TNA for treating them so shitty in so many ways. The Slammiversary crowd was made up of casual fans, people who got given free tickets for some reason (most of the front row people had never been to a local show in their lives), people who lived in the surrounding region who drove in for the one big show, etcetera. The old Nashville crowd just didn't go.

Watching the King Of The Mountain match I was praying that anyone but Angle would win it. However, I knew from the start that my hopes were probably doomed. What purpose does he serve, exactly? He can no longer have good matches, he can't work the mic much and his character is confusing and pointless. He tries to come across as a badass crippler-type, when the company is still trying to market him as the American Hero Gold Medal winner. Joe is a legitimate badass, and because he lacks the overblown WWE-style to his promos he seems much more genuine. Plus he's far more entertaining to watch in the ring than Angle. Say what you like, Joe always has my full support.

Throughout the KOTM, my wife was going "I hate being the smallest man in this match!" every time Styles took a nasty bump. She did it quite a bit. Then when he got backdropped onto Christian on the ladder it changed to "we hate being the two smallest men in this match! And the heels!"

Angle has been a nightmare from a character standpoint in TNA, and really for most of his career. I think that is a problem I have with Angle...the guy seems insane. This isn't like a wrestler who seems one way and then reveals new aspects of his personality (like Edge over his career). Angle has literally done character 180s that go beyond heel/face distinctions. He's been a silly goofball with the 3 Is, then suddenly a vicious legbreaker, an American hero, a cowardly heel, a sex pervert into beastiality and brown sugar, an anti American heel, and finally as a serious wrestler who just wanted titles and respect.

I guess my point is that top tier wrestlers either go from good to bad but they don't just change their entire identity. Ric Flair is always just....Flair. Whether you are supposed to root for him or not, he manages a consistency of character. Or there can be maybe a full 180 from ultra good to ultra bad (like Hogan in the NWO).

Angle was always a shades of gray character from his debut. But is that really the right character to give someone who is a newcomer? It seems more logical to me to debut a guy as either a heel or face, but Angle debuted with a character that blurred the lines of heel/face so we never quite fully understood if he was good or bad, if we're supposed to boo or cheer him, etc.

He tries to come across as a badass crippler-type, when the company is still trying to market him as the American Hero Gold Medal winner. Joe is a legitimate badass, and because he lacks the overblown WWE-style to his promos he seems much more genuine.

Angle: former Olympic Gold Medalist

Joe: former Samoan tribal dancer and desk-job worker

...and at this point Joe is by far the better worker of the two, but still, just sayin'.

Throughout the KOTM, my wife was going "I hate being the smallest man in this match!" every time Styles took a nasty bump. She did it quite a bit. Then when he got backdropped onto Christian on the ladder it changed to "we hate being the two smallest men in this match! And the heels!"

You better fuckin' LOVE that wife.