TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Bush looks after his friends

I don't even know if in terms of money that you still have it better. Many Americans, especially in the middle class, are in debt, buying things they can't afford and then owning things that they don't really own. Consider the social safety net in the other countries, with things like education and healthcare, and a lot of the necessities that we take for granted become luxuries in the United States.

Also the Canadian government is pretty corrupt. I laugh when my hippie friends talk about how bad the U.S. government is (which it is, just look at the story that started this thread) then talk about how much better Canada is...which it isn't. Sponsorship scandal anyone?

You are correct that the average middle class American is better off than their counterparts throughout much of the world. However, a lot has been happening in the last few years to quickly erode that. I really do believe that people are working harder for less and less, and that the middle class is slowly being squeezed out of this country by the incompetent and corrupt government.

The solution is simple: JFK Reanimation.

Oh by the way I also support a electoral reform away from past-the-post systems. The average number of parties in a past-the-post system is like 2.3, while the proportional representation system supports an average of 3.6 parties. I guess it keeps the crazies out, but if each state was turned into a single constituency, then we'd see a lot more Green party candidates get elected to the house, as well as some semi-extreme rights in the south. I wrote my mid-term on it last summer at berkeley. The single plurality system on the local, state, and national level is pretty much just a funhouse of gerrymandering.