TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Getting a loan

Can anyone help me find a way to get a personal loan? My credit is essentially bad to non existant, and the only sites I can find that claim to offer such a loan are either scams or they want a membership fee. I'd need a few grand to basically save my apartment, since I am losing a roommate, and he also declined to inform me that he hasn't paid Peco in months as well.

I'm even willing to consider other sources......and if the movies have taught me anything, it's that per Get Shorty and Rocky, loan sharks do indeed exist.

Any info would be appreciated.

What available credit do you have right now? Would you consider advertising for a roommate? Would you consider moving?

You might have to bite the bullet and pawn something or get a personal loan from a pawn shop while they hold collateral (i.e. a big screen tv).

Available credit as of now? Also, was the roommate not on the lease? How soon do you need the money? More details, please. I've been in a similar situation before.

Available credit meaning what? All I really own is a piece of shit car. Yes he was on the lease, it runs out July 15th. Essentially, I just don't want to lose the place, and I need to hold it down myself until I can find a new roommate. I would need it by the 15th at the latest.

have you even tried a bank yet? start with a local branch bank and then try one of the big boys (like US BAnk). someone should be willing to give it to ya, even though I'd be prepared to bend over and assume the position when you find out the interest rate. I think personal loans have higher rates anyways since there isn't a car, boat, or housde they can sell off if you default.

Guest Vitamin X

Try this website:

www.prosper.com

It's helped out a lot of people. I've yet to use it, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I might have to use it soon too, to help me pay off some lame traffic ticket I recently got.

By available credit, I meant do you have an amount on any credit cards that has not been used so far. I was going to suggest a cash advance.

Thanks for the prosper.com idea, it was a good one, but apparently my credit is too fucked for even that.

As far as credit cards, and available credit, I've never even had a card. I know you're wondering, how could my credit be so fucked if I've never had a card, right? I'm starting to believe it's a result of some sort of conspiracy against me. I mean, the only thing I owe is maybe a little over 3 grand on a student loan.

Someone doesn't understand credit! You actually have to get cards and charge crap and pay it off to establish credit. Until you do that and prove you can and will pay stuff off in a timely manner, you're gonna have hell getting anything.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh dude, you don't have bad credit, you just have no credit. You should get Citibank's UPromise card or a Capital One. They'll start you off with a small limit, so just don't use it unless you absolutely, positively have to. Charge maybe one thing or two a month to it, and pay it in full right away, every month. Never leave a balance. I was doing just fine credit-wise until I hit a rough patch a couple months ago in regards to work (not getting enough) so I had to charge a lot of my monthly expenses and I've been kinda screwy ever since.

Prosper.com will actually approve anyone from what I saw. If worse comes to worse, and I highly do not recommend this unless you have no other available option, get a cash advance at a check advance place. There's a couple reasons why I don't recommend it: One is the usually pretty high fee they charge, plus interest. Two is that you get your money right away, cash, but you have to pay it right away, cash, with your next paycheck. And three is that I know a lot of people who've fallen into a really bad financial trap with them, in that they're getting cash advances every week because they're constantly borrowing from their own money to pay off their expenses which they need to just make on their own. This is what a credit card is for- so you can charge something you absolutely need if you don't have any money to pay it that month, then pay it in full by your next check or two. Leaving a balance just fucks you up nasty in the end.

Capital One and citicards will pretty much approve anyone, especially Capital One. If worse comes to worse, you can always get one of the credit cards you have to pay for, like first premier, orchard bank, or applied card. I did this while re-establishing my credit, and it only took me a year before I got approved for a better card, so I just had them paid off, closed the accounts, and moved on to the better ones.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, also forgot to mention that Prosper.com helps build your credit as well.

Thanks man, it's all good advice. I'll look towards these steps after I move though. I do have another place to stay, I just wanted to keep this apt., and to do so it was gonna take a few grand. That's the problem I am having, no one is going to give me a personal loan. And that prosper.com denied me as well.

Guest Vitamin X

You don't know anyone with even decent enough credit to co-sign on a loan? That may be another option.

Thanks. It's not life or death or anything. I have a new house to move to, with a few people. i just don't want to give up my sweet beautiful roomy apt directly over a bar. It's going to be heartbreaking.

Just look at it as a chance to move on, hopefully to bigger and better things down the right. Learn your lesson (which I think you already have), and start building some credit up, so you're not scrounging for loans in the future. Yeah, losing your apartment sucks, but if you can get your own house in the future, it's not so bad.