TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion for August 2007

Chris Benoit- Out of Action

:lol: Out of Action, yea I'd say so.

Right now Vince is either frantically trying to invent a time machine or he's studying necromancer powers to bring some guys back from the dead.

Raw is stale that's why the rating sucks.......even if Orton really is going to beat Cena none of the casual fans buy that he will. There's nothing exciting or compelling it's the same old shit every week, paint by numbers basically.

If you wanna know why the rating in young males sucks it's because a lot of that group which I'm in doesn't like Cena, it especially doesn't help that your G/F will watch and fawn over this guy you hate....

There's plenty of reasons the rating is dropping.....I guess this should be a clue what happens when you give a long title reign to a man that isn't universally liked especially by an important part of the audience. Then on top of that book nothing compelling or exciting behind him...

I think it must be a misprint or something. You don't lose that much of your audience without a major reason....

Again, Jeff Hardy = Ratings.

Maybe it proves Carlito kills the audience, they put him in the mainevent and well.....

Or maybe it proves no one wants to see old mofos like Slaughter and Lawler wrestle.

I think it must be a misprint or something. You don't lose that much of your audience without a major reason....

Again, Jeff Hardy = Ratings.

Maybe it proves Carlito kills the audience, they put him in the mainevent and well.....

Or maybe it proves no one wants to see old mofos like Slaughter and Lawler wrestle.

I'm reminded of what Eddie Guerrero said on the nWo DVD, "you could look at WCW's show and you wouldn't know what month it was because every show was the same". WWE really hasn't shaken their product up since the initial brand split and draft.

Could Sid be the answer to ratings gold?

He'll be happy to take a stab at improving things...

It'll take a major overhaul to turn things around.

Anyone heard how his match against 2 Cold Scorpio this past weekend went?

If they got some sort of celebrity involvement and had better storylines and characters the show would be interesting again. K-Fed did a great job in his role but i'm not sure if ratings went up in December/January. Donald Trump did get people talking and probably got a few extra ppv buys. I'm not really sure of any celebrity right now they could possibly bring in that's big in the news. Lindsay Lohan and Michael Vick seem to be the 2 big stories right now but they wouldn't be able to appear on a wrestling show. If they can get a celebrity that's in the news that would make sense I think it's a start.

If they got some sort of celebrity involvement and had better storylines and characters the show would be interesting again. K-Fed did a great job in his role but i'm not sure if ratings went up in December/January. Donald Trump did get people talking and probably got a few extra ppv buys. I'm not really sure of any celebrity right now they could possibly bring in that's big in the news. Lindsay Lohan and Michael Vick seem to be the 2 big stories right now but they wouldn't be able to appear on a wrestling show. If they can get a celebrity that's in the news that would make sense I think it's a start.

What the hell, I don't think even WWE would stoop that low to get a cheap ratings pop. What would they have him do, wrestle a dog?

Maybe WWE will go into a signing frenzy and throw a big amount of cash Chris Jericho, Goldberg, Lesnar, Stone Cold to make a few month return ala Foley every year. Probably go for Hogan. Either that or they won't do anything because I can't see them doing some drastic like cancelling the brand split and having one roster, or changing up how they book a show. I personally am watching now, and I stopped watching WWE regularly except for their ppvs in 2005. I personally would be happy with JBL coming back, a few guys being sent back to development, and a focus on the titles. I think the problem with the belts are, when they give the belt to someone like Cena(who has become a great performer), the belt becomes secondary somehow, and when they change champions rapidly like during the Attitude Era, the belts lose value. However, if the belts became a focal point of the show, and they had title change on a semi-regular basis it might be a welcome change. I know ROH isn't on WWE's level in terms of drawing money, but they have a good NWA like system where they've made the Tag Titles as interesting as the World Title. They even had the Pure Title heating up before they canned it with Nigel McGuiness having a fresh run.

Any word on the quarterly breakdown of the 2.5 rating? Did they just plummet during the Cena/Carlito opening segment or was it just low from the get-go?

It probably dropped when people realized Jeff Hardy wouldn't be on the show. :(

Basically, some people nailed it on the head here. Watching RAW now basically is the same as back in 2002 or so...nothing has really changed on RAW in the last five years, other than the theme song. They really need to shake up the look of the set and the whole show in general, more so than a superficial change to the border under the Titantron or whatever. Maybe change to one of those ramps that goes all the way to the ring, change the color scheme and look of the ring, etc. Just make it so that I can tell I'm watching the show in 2007 and not half a decade ago.

WWE needs a big new storyline in general. They almost had something going with Vince's limo explosion, and that ended due to circumstances beyond their control. They really need some kind of angle to shake things up, besides "Cena overcomes the odds, and the heel GM throws obstacles in the way." Maybe a new Four Horsemen/nWo type group to run roughshod over all three shows, or something like that.

We could go on and on about needing new writers, or making title belts mean something, etc. Really, those two things above would get me a lot more excited about watching WWE, which I'm only watching out of habit at this point.

See, that's exactly it. Other than DX (which was just a tag team essentially) and Evolution, when's the last time WWE has had a real stable? The Alliance, maybe?

They have all these heels not doing much...Kennedy, Carlito, Orton, King Booker, William Regla, just to name a few, and that's just on RAW. Why not do a slow angle where they start working together, and eventually form a group to get rid of John Cena and take over the WWE? It's not rocket science.

See, that's exactly it. Other than DX (which was just a tag team essentially) and Evolution, when's the last time WWE has had a real stable? The Alliance, maybe?

They have all these heels not doing much...Kennedy, Carlito, Orton, King Booker, William Regla, just to name a few, and that's just on RAW. Why not do a slow angle where they start working together, and eventually form a group to get rid of John Cena and take over the WWE? It's not rocket science.

I kind of fear WWE will react this way and rush the Hart Foundation onto RAW in the hopes that the name would increase ratings. They need a little while longer to season in OVW before they're ready. Perhaps they could create an additional title, make the lower-card a little more meaningful.

Holy shit, I'd watch. There was something about RKO that was really good, even though they were just a tag team, you thought 'Hey, together they might actually beat Cena legit.. if they'd stop attacking each other that is'.

To be honest I don't much care for stables, at least not some ultra dominant Horsemen group or NWO. It's inevitable that these guys will all end up getting every belt and it gets tiresome. To me a wrestling stable is best used in either of these two ways:

1. High level guys to feud with the main face, maybe get some wins, but ultimately job out (Heenan Family).

2. Mid level stable that can gather some secondary belts for the lower tier faces to go after (Hart stable).

Anyway, I don't know what the deal is with that Raw rating. I'm telling you guys, the only major development on last week's show that could have a bearing on this week was Orton being #1 contender. Well also Booker/Lawler, but I don't think that was such a big deal it would normally affect ratings to such a degree.

It's kinda like this: WWE pushes HBK against Cena, people say "That's fine, at least it's not Orton." WWE pushes Khali against Cena, people can say "Khali sucks, but at least it's not Orton." WWE pushes Lashley against Cena, people say "Hmm...Lashley might have a shot, and at least it's not Orton." So WWE finally pushes Orton against Cena. People say "Fuck this, I'm not tuning in."

That would be odd as most people here was picking Orton as the one they wanted to win at Summerslam. Though if that is really the reason for the drop, hopefully the WWE realizes this. The less time Orton is in the main event, the better, IMO.

The thing is, WWE has no clue how to actually do a correct stable storyline. What WWE normally does is create a stable around one guy then have guys lower on the card "look up" to that one guy and even though that can work for a certain period of time,it gets old and quick. Another thing WWE does with stables is create one and then competely forgets about it, JBL's cabinet is a good example of this.

The best stable that is the best example you can give is the 4 Horsemen. When the 4 Horsemen were created it wasn't just about one guy, it was about a group of guys who just meshed very well together. They didn't look at Ric Flair as the leader or anything, they were about working with, helping out, and partying with each other and even through differant formations of the Horsemen, that continued to be the idea of the Horsemen. Hell when you look at the beginning of the nWo, when they were just a small group of wrestlers it was pretty much the same idea...until the group just got extremely massive then all of a sudden Hulk Hogan was just looked apon as a God by the other guys in the group, which ulitmately killed the gimmick.

When WWE does a stable again, they really need to do it right and that's by getting a manager to manage a group of guys who are all pretty much on the same level, all working together, helping each other out, and not fighting over things, but when WWE will be able to actually pull that off, I have no clue.

Walkin Dude, think about it. Cena vs. Orton right now is the Perfect Storm of Suck. In feuds like Cena vs. HBK, I think people at least maybe wanted Shawn to win and get one more run with the belt. Or with Cena/Khali, people at least wanted Cena to beat the giant. Cena/Lashley at least could be hyped as "Which unstoppable guy is better?" Cena vs. Orton? Ugh. It's a champion that is stale and needs to lose the title going against a challenger that nobody genuinely wants to win the title for a reason other than to see Cena job the belt. I don't think I've ever seen a situation like that in WWE, where there literally was no good option in a match.