TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

RSS Feeds!

Guest Vitamin X

I'd been meaning to kill further productivity at work using these (I use Google Reader) but only just started this past week or so.

Anyone else use them? If so, what are some good feeds you can recommend?

Guest Vitamin X

check out www.google.com/reader for a quick example of what they are, there's videos there of how to use them. Put it this way.

You ever see this little symbol in the URL bar or on a page when you're browsing the web?

rsssymbol.jpg

What it does, is that it's incredibly useful for blogs or any other websites that update frequently, and it tells you when it's been updated when you subscribe to it- then it's all organized into whatever you use for an RSS reader (like I said, I use Google's) and it displays all the updates there. Really nice so you don't have to visit a dozen websites or blogs to see if they've updated or anything, and it's a great way to kill time and check out all the sites you might otherwise forget to visit for long periods of time for whatever reason.

That's actually pretty useful, and I have run into that symbol many times. I just haven't ever bothered to learn about it.

So the feeds are the different websites that are being updated correct? Like the blog in question?

Yeah.

Lets say you enable RSS for iGoogle which is like the greatest portal site I've ever used. You can have one RSS feed from say TSN for Sports News, one from Figure 4 for Wrestling and Joystiq and Engadget for all the other stuff your interested as well. It will all be neatly on one portal so you don't need to check each and every site to see if there are updates.