TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Chicago Eateries; Ginos and Pancakes, Eggcetera

During my trip to Chicago I ate at these two places, Ginos (I forget where it was but it just outside of Chicago) for some Deep Dish pizza, it does appear that they are the Sbarros of Chicago, only better quailty food and more of a restaurant than Sbarros. Probably on the level of Unos or TGIFs.

And in Rosemont I stopped by Pancakes, Eggcetera for some breakfast. I gather being right around the corner from a bunch of hotels makes it a popular place as it was quite busy when I walked in.

I'd give both a good review, just seeing if anyone here knew about them.

Eggcetera is not exclusive to Chicago though.

I'm now aware, I googled it and found them in other places. No clue why they don't appear to have an official website.

Had a good Southern Style Eggs Benedict and coffee. Probably a lot better than the McDonalds that was just up the block from them! ;)

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Yeah, "Gino's East = Sbarro" is a slam. That's like saying Portillo's is our McDonald's. I haven't been to Pancakes Eggcetera. Egg Harbor Cafe and Walker Brothers are my pancake eateries of choice.

Rosemont is creepy and weird, by the way. They only had one mayor for fiftysome years, and when he died, his son inherited the office. (This almost describes Chicago.) Also, you need to pass a police checkpoint to drive through the single neighborhood in the town, even though it's not a particularly expensive neighborhood. You should've gone up Mannheim Rd. into Des Plaines (maybe you did and that's where the Gino's East was?) and visited the first McDonald's and the Choo-Choo Restaurant. The train brings you your food.

Yeah, "Gino's East = Sbarro" is a slam. That's like saying Portillo's is our McDonald's.

HA! Sorry about that, I was thinking Sbarros because I was responding about them in the NYC pizza joint thread. Yeah, no F'N comparison. Well there is, its like comparing Shea Stadium and Flushing Meadows to Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville!

Rosemont is creepy and weird, by the way. They only had one mayor for fiftysome years, and when he died, his son inherited the office. (This almost describes Chicago.) Also, you need to pass a police checkpoint to drive through the single neighborhood in the town, even though it's not a particularly expensive neighborhood. You should've gone up Mannheim Rd. into Des Plaines (maybe you did and that's where the Gino's East was?) and visited the first McDonald's and the Choo-Choo Restaurant. The train brings you your food.

We didn't drive, we took mostly public transportation. Which reminds me, WHAT THE HELL was up with the L that weekend? (August 1st through the 4th) Let me put it this way, cars driving along on the highway were PASSING the train from O'Hare down to Chicago!

A friend of my cousin drove us from Cumberland to the Gino's East. It may have been the Des Plaines one, it was in a strip mall so there you go.

Did not notice the first Mickey D's though. As a pop-culture junkie I would have gotten a kick out of that.

Maybe next time. Hell we may rent a car if the darn CTA is as slow as it was!

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I think the Brown Line is being worked on. The construction on the Tri-State from Zion to Deerfield is what affects me most; the people I know in Ravenswood and Lincoln Park are bothered by the former.