TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maztinho

Extra's Injured During Tom Cruise Filmming

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/20/...lm-Accident.php

BERLIN: Several extras were injured falling from a truck during filming of a movie that has attracted controversy over the casting of prominent Scientologist Tom Cruise as Germany's most famous anti-Hitler plotter.

The accident happened on Sunday evening during filming of scenes from "Valkyrie" around the Finance Ministry in Berlin, which was once the Nazis' aviation ministry.

United Artists said Monday that 10 extras briefly required medical attention after falling off the truck, which it said was traveling at less than 10 mph (16 kph) when wooden slats gave way — sending them off the side.

"No one suffered anything more serious than cuts and bruises, though one of the extras was kept in the hospital overnight for observation," a United Artists statement said.

Police said a bolt on a side panel of the truck apparently came loose as the vehicle turned a corner.

Today in Culture

Publishing the O.J. Simpson book: Another chapter in a bizarre saga

The voice of a migrant

For Claudio Abbado, the maestro, passion rushes in where energy limits

"Tom Cruise was not there and the film director also wasn't there," Berlin police spokesman Martin Grosse said that. He put the total number of injured extras at 11; studio officials were not immediately available for further comment.

United Artists said the movie's main production unit, which includes director Bryan Singer and Cruise himself, was not filming at the time of the accident — and "it is not expected to have any impact on the production schedule."

Police opened an investigation of persons unknown on suspicion of negligent bodily harm, Grosse said. That is a standard procedure with workplace accidents in Germany.

"Valkyrie" stars Cruise as Col. Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg, the aristocratic army officer executed after a failed attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944.

Cruise's casting has attracted controversy in Germany because the actor is one of the best-known adherents of Scientology, which the German government considers a commercial enterprise that takes advantage of vulnerable people.

Some critics maintain that one of its members should not be playing one of the Nazi era's few heroes.

A small area of downtown Berlin was closed to traffic over the weekend for the filming work around the Finance Ministry. The restrictions were lifted early Monday.

Filming of "Valkyrie" began in mid-July. The movie is scheduled for release in 2008.

So, basically this story boils down to "nobody hurt in minor car wreck involving no one you've ever heard of, halfway around the world", yes? Jesus, people will stretch anything into a "story" if it even slightly involves a big star's name third hand.

So, basically this story boils down to "nobody hurt in minor car wreck involving no one you've ever heard of, halfway around the world", yes? Jesus, people will stretch anything into a "story" if it even slightly involves a big star's name third hand.

Should have seen AOL's headline tease. Not only did they say it was on the set of Tom Cruise's new movie, but they made it seem that Cruise or a big name star (I believe their word was high paid or something to that effect) could have been injured.

I swear AOL can be worse than those wrestling "news" sites who made (or still do who knows) headlines like "EDDIE [misspelled intentionally by me as that is what some of those dorks do] GUERRERO TO WIN TITLE ON THUNDER [Thunder was pre-recorded right?] CLICK FOR SPOILERS" and you click to find out if WCW actually did book Eddy to win the big gold belt, only to find out its the TV title or the crusier.

When the actor Richard Bright died, their headline correctly mentioned Godfather star, but also said "Soprano star" so my first thought (and I'm sure many, many did the same) was "Oh my God, Dominic Chianese (Johnny Ola in II)!" Well, Bright played one of the DiMaggio brothers' crew in the episode where the hit on Johnny Sac is planned. A very brief cameo, and certaintly nothing to get the tag "starred in The Sopranos."