TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 8/27-9/2

The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the White Sox' number one targer this offseason is David Eckstein. Aaron Rowand is another possibility, but they might not have the money to pursue him. Essentially, next year's lineup could include Erstad, Rowand, Owens, and Eckstein. They just don't get it, do they?

I never understood the Eckstein hate myself. He gets on base at a reasonable clip. What does it matter that he has no power? Agree or disagree, I think there is no doubt that their absolute worst problem is shortstop.

Rowand ain't going anywhere. Billions of Philadelphia house-wives and teenage girls would FLIP. Plus, all the guys would be pissed 'cause he's a great player. Methinks the Phillies won't be cheap in the offseason and show him the money, along with Howard.

I never understood the Eckstein hate myself. He gets on base at a reasonable clip. What does it matter that he has no power? Agree or disagree, I think there is no doubt that their absolute worst problem is shortstop.

I don't hate Eckstein the player, I hate the myth surrounding him. He hits and fields well enough for the position. That being said, it's not like he's the answer to the White Sox' problem. He's a 32 year old shortstop with an 80 OPS+.

I am almost certain that if they pursue him it's because he fits into that Ozzie mold of a "grinder." It's just totally missing the reason why this team failed miserably this year and contributes to their bleak outlook as a franchise.

I'm surprized Ozzie hasn't been canned yet. His act has been old and tired for a while now.

At first, I thought that he was a 100% goner at the end of the season, but now I'm not so sure. Williams went out and resigned Buehrle and Dye and didn't trade any of his older players while they still had some value. From the comments I've seen, I think he sees this season as a fluke instead of the disaster that it is. He is going to go out with the same team next year rather than making wholesale changes.

Rowand ain't going anywhere. Billions of Philadelphia house-wives and teenage girls would FLIP. Plus, all the guys would be pissed 'cause he's a great player. Methinks the Phillies won't be cheap in the offseason and show him the money, along with Howard.

I think it's apparent the pitching is a priority. Rowand is a nice player but the Phillies have two players who can cover center field on the club right now (Shane Victorino and Michael Bourn). Given the contract Gary Matthews got last season, Rowand is going to be very expensive.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the White Sox' number one targer this offseason is David Eckstein. Aaron Rowand is another possibility, but they might not have the money to pursue him. Essentially, next year's lineup could include Erstad, Rowand, Owens, and Eckstein. They just don't get it, do they?

That is the grindiest, grittiest lineup I have ever seen. The entire neighborhood of Bridgeport will be engulfed in the fire and the passion.

Ozzie is in self-parody mode right now. He compared managing his team to "making a fucking kid watch fucking Barney and you have keep rewinding the fucking tape and watching the same fucking episode." Okay. Cool.

Right now it looks like they're going to bring back Joe Crede for one more year. I don't know about that one.

Fields is moving into left. I suppose Rowand, pending acquisition, would play in center, Dye in right, and Podsednik and Erstad are goners; Podsednik is gone whether Rowand comes back or not. Crede, Eckstein, Richar, Konerko, Pierzynski isn't the best infield in the world, as PAULIE is looking older and Crede's back is not to be trusted.

Word is Steve Trachsel was traded to the Chicago Cubs. I have visions of Jim Hendy and Ned Colletti spending the majority of their days watching the waiver wire, hoping that a name they know comes across so that they can try to acquire him.

It's official, Steve Trachsel for Rocky Cherry and Scott Moore. Moore had no future here, Cherry was just kind of okay.

With Kerry Wood and Steve Trachsel back on the Cubs, Mark Grace, Gary Gaetti, and the ghost of Rod Beck cannot be far behind!

Word is Steve Trachsel was traded to the Chicago Cubs. I have visions of Jim Hendy and Ned Colletti spending the majority of their days watching the waiver wire, hoping that a name they know comes across so that they can try to acquire him.

Actually, Trach hasn't been too bad for the Orioles this season. He gets into the late innings, gives up few runs but doesn't do anything specatular. As a 5th starter, he wouldn't be such a horrible option compared to what the Cubs have.

That said, giving up Rocky Cherry for him is confusing but I guess his age was becoming a thing. And why is it my two favorite teams are always trading players back and forth?

Wait a minute, Marshall has had back to back good starts hasn't he? Alright, now I'm confused even more by this move.

Rocky Cherry..welcome to Baltimore..now go out in the bullpen and don't give up 7 runs and you might have a job next year!

Bedards also missing his scheduled start tomorrow so this losing streak could reach like 16 games before his next start..

Wait a minute, Marshall has had back to back good starts hasn't he? Alright, now I'm confused even more by this move.

Marshall isn't very good. He just gave up a 3-run bomb to Underpants. I'll take him as an innings-eater over Marshall, who doesn't seem to eat more than five.

Marshall isn't very good. He just gave up a 3-run bomb to Underpants. I'll take him as an innings-eater over Marshall, who doesn't seem to eat more than five.

It's kind of sad considering Big V suddenly can't get a win now, Hill and Marshall are the definition of inconsistent this season and Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis are Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis. The entire rotation has been a half smile situation this season with every start being an adventure.

Marshall had just had back to back good starts so I was hoping he'd be ok. I just remembered that as a Cubs fan, hope is bad.

Joba was suspended two games for yesterday's incident. Ridiculous. Not a big deal because I don't think he's allosed to pitch tonight or tomorrow anyway, but I cannot believe he got suspended for this.

Someone explain to me how Josh Towers can throw at A-Rod with obvious intent and prior backstory an d gets a fine, yet Joba gets two games for this and no warning had not even been issued yet!

Joba was suspended two games for yesterday's incident. Ridiculous. Not a big deal because I don't think he's allosed to pitch tonight or tomorrow anyway, but I cannot believe he got suspended for this.

Someone explain to me how Josh Towers can throw at A-Rod with obvious intent and prior backstory an d gets a fine, yet Joba gets two games for this and no warning had not even been issued yet!

Because Joba threw at Youk's HEAD. Twice.

I didn't even realize the Cubs already played today. Again, for the best.

I don't much understand the Trachsel acquisition. I don't think he's much of an improvement over either Marshall or Marquis. And while it was over a decade ago, I remember him being legendarily terrible at Wrigley.

Mariners lose AGAIN. Looks like yet another October with both the Red Sox and Yankees. Super.

I'm sure most fans of those teams will disagree, but MLB's postseason desperately needs new blood. The prospect of a Sox/Yanks series in October is too grating to even consider right now.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet..

Meltzer:

--Not a wrestling story, but everyone who grew up watching wrestling on TBS will remember waiting for those Atlanta Braves games in extra innings or on the West Coast to end so we could see wrestling, that often got deeply cut into. TBS is dropping the Braves after ten more games. The reasons were bad ratings outside the Southeast, and TBS will start airing a Sunday afternoon package of National League games. The Braves will continue to air in Atlanta on the local version of WTBS. The Braves and Georgia Championship Wrestling were the flagship shows on WTCG in 1977 when it first went up on satellite. The Braves got most of the publicity, but wrestling actually drew the higher ratings, as the station became a big success in the early 80s.