TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

ECW 10.2.07 (Vince McMahon McMahon to make WWE Title announcment)

Now you said your mad at the bookers/writers. Say you didn't know anything about the behind the scenes of pro wrestling, you don't know that there are writers or bookers, your just a casual fan who enjoys pro wrestling....would you be mad at the booker/writers or would be mad at the GM for screwing over Dreamer?

Point taken, but that would presume that I thought the show was somewhat real; everyone who watches should know that whole deal's a show, right? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic here?

My real problem, as noted above, is that when you pull something like this, you need to make it part of a long-term program that ultimately results in the bad guys getting the short end of the stick. I have no faith that the E is going to follow this up properly. I pray that they will surprise me and do things right, but given the E's general record, I just don't see it. Sure, ECW is the best show overall for wrestling at the moment, but it's still part of the E, and usually the company's policy of overpushing misbehaving or talentless humps wins out in the end. Guys that work hard and put on a good show generally get tossed into the morass of the dead-end midcard.

The actual point I was trying to make was sometimes we forget that bookers/writers look as the fans as just that, fans. Fans who aren't suppose to be mad at the bookers or writers for some kind of storyline. A booker/writer's job is to tell a story that eithers pisses off or pleases the fans. That's their only job and a lot of fans, espically internet fans, really tend to forget that and when something happens that a fan or fans didn't want to happen, they get mad at the booker/writer(s) because something got changed.

Now I do agree that Dreamer vs Punk would have been nice to see, but the Big Daddy Feud vs CM Punk was basically started after Striker vs Punk last weekn when BDV attacked Punk after the match. Yes, the chase was actually a good program and was a nice change of pace, but the writer/booker(s) did something that's apart of their job and that's piss off the fans by taking Tommy out of it and having BDV become the #1 contender by destorying Tommy. The whole point of what happen was this, help Tommy become a better babyface, plus keep Tommy's old "I keep getting screwed over by someone" ECW gimmick going, make Big Daddy V look like more of a threat to Punk and his title, and make Armando more of a dick GM.

So yeah, the payoff of the chase didn't give the fans really what they wanted to see, but that happens a lot in pro wrestling and it should. If the fans got what they always wanted, pro wrestling would be boring and only certain people would get over while others got no where. It'd be like WCW backstage all over again.

One other point I just thought of, if Tommy Dreamer vs the evil GM keeps going and it actually gets over with the fans, and helps Tommy get over even more (again I think Sandman would be a better fit), Morrison vs Dreamer with Tommy finally getting a title shot (imagine Beniot vs Evil GM Heyman, except WWE doesn't fuck it up) after beating all the odds, we get that pay off we wanted with HOPEFULLY a proper build.

The actual point I was trying to make was sometimes we forget that bookers/writers look as the fans as just that, fans. Fans who aren't suppose to be mad at the bookers or writers for some kind of storyline. A booker/writer's job is to tell a story that eithers pisses off or pleases the fans. That's their only job and a lot of fans, espically internet fans, really tend to forget that and when something happens that a fan or fans didn't want to happen, they get mad at the booker/writer(s) because something got changed.

Now I do agree that Dreamer vs Punk would have been nice to see, but the Big Daddy Feud vs CM Punk was basically started after Striker vs Punk last weekn when BDV attacked Punk after the match. Yes, the chase was actually a good program and was a nice change of pace, but the writer/booker(s) did something that's apart of their job and that's piss off the fans by taking Tommy out of it and having BDV become the #1 contender by destorying Tommy. The whole point of what happen was this, help Tommy become a better babyface, plus keep Tommy's old "I keep getting screwed over by someone" ECW gimmick going, make Big Daddy V look like more of a threat to Punk and his title, and make Armando more of a dick GM.

So yeah, the payoff of the chase didn't give the fans really what they wanted to see, but that happens a lot in pro wrestling and it should. If the fans got what they always wanted, pro wrestling would be boring and only certain people would get over while others got no where. It'd be like WCW backstage all over again.

One other point I just thought of, if Tommy Dreamer vs the evil GM keeps going and it actually gets over with the fans, and helps Tommy get over even more (again I think Sandman would be a better fit), Morrison vs Dreamer with Tommy finally getting a title shot (imagine Beniot vs Evil GM Heyman, except WWE doesn't fuck it up) after beating all the odds, we get that pay off we wanted with HOPEFULLY a proper build.

I realize that they can't always give the fans exactly what they want when they want it, but the point is ultimately to tell a good story. The point I've tried to make is that I've lost faith that the E, in any incarnation, will give me the ultimate payoff that this sort of screwjob should result in. Thus, I can't bring myself to enjoy these kinds of twists...I see it as one more story that will disappoint me in the end. A personal problem perhaps, but something I'm sure others have experienced/are experiencing with the E.

So yeah, the payoff of the chase didn't give the fans really what they wanted to see, but that happens a lot in pro wrestling and it should.

Um, what?

If the fans got what they always wanted, pro wrestling would be boring and only certain people would get over while others got no where. It'd be like WCW backstage all over again.

I agree that certain people would get over while others got nowhere...but in this world where the fans get what they want, the wrestlers getting over are the wrestlers people want to see (and subsequently are the wrestlers getting pushed), and the ones they don't want to see are obviously not getting over (mainly because they aren't getting the pushes). That's the complete opposite of WCW.

I too realize that you can't cater to everyone all the time, but when you rely on people coming to your shows when you're in town, watching your programming when you aren't in town, and paying upwards of $35 to watch your PPVs on a tri-weekly basis, you can't weigh things so heavily towards what the people on the payroll want and so lightly towards what the people whose money keeps the company afloat want.

And besides that, why would they "rush" the Punk/BDV feud if BDV wasn't going over? It seems completely stupid to feed the guy you've been building for weeks to your champion just to somehow re-set up a Punk/Morrison battle. If they wanted Punk/Morrison for the gold they would have left Dreamer/Punk (because Dreamer hasn't really been built beyond the Chase, so who cares if he jobs?).

One other point I just thought of, if TommYy Dreamer vs the evil GM keeps going and it actually gets over with the fans, and helps Tommy get over even more (again I think Sandman would be a better fit), Morrison vs Dreamer with Tommy finally getting a title shot (imagine Beniot vs Evil GM Heyman, except WWE doesn't fuck it up) after beating all the odds, we get that pay off we wanted with HOPEFULLY a proper build.

I realize that they can't always give the fans exactly what they want when they want it, but the point is ultimately to tell a good story. The point I've tried to make is that I've lost faith that the E, in any incarnation, will give me the ultimate payoff that this sort of screwjob should result in. Thus, I can't bring myself to enjoy these kinds of twists...I see it as one more story that will disappoint me in the end. A personal problem perhaps, but something I'm sure others have experienced/are experiencing with the E.

I understand you lost faith in WWE to tell a good story...to be honest, I lost a lot of faith in them as well, thats why I just sit back and watch the clusterfuck if it becomes one.

Now to Oldskool's comments.

Yes, I don't think the booker/writer(S) shouldn't always give what the fans want. So like with the ECW title chase, yes, fans wanted to see Dreamer in the title match, it's what the fans wanted, but the booker/writer(s) did the opposite to be able to keep certain storylines (hopefully) going.

I admit, I don't like the fact that V was just thrown into the title match after 3 weeks of watching 4 people bust their asses off in good matches, but I understand why it happened the way it did. It won't make the fans happy, but thats the point of this storyline. The fans are not suppose to like what Armando did. Will the Punk vs V match make any extra buys...most likely not but....I lost my train of thought.

I don't mind V versus CM Punk at all. I just hope they don't either make V squash Punk and Punk gets away with it via DQ or something or that they give the belt actually to V. Punk needs to just go over V in a convincing way and then....

We like to wish Big Daddy V luck with his future bla bla bla...

'Cause V has served his purpose. Made himself a big threat to Punk within a few weeks, then Punk stops the giant, gets even more over. Then V has nothing to do except for bullying Dreamer and maybe Boogeyman, so he can just simply be released or go to SD! or RAW but seriously, do they need more ZOMG BIG GUY UNDEFEATED STREAK!~~!

I don't mind V versus CM Punk at all. I just hope they don't either make V squash Punk and Punk gets away with it via DQ or something or that they give the belt actually to V. Punk needs to just go over V in a convincing way and then....

We like to wish Big Daddy V luck with his future bla bla bla...

'Cause V has served his purpose. Made himself a big threat to Punk within a few weeks, then Punk stops the giant, gets even more over. Then V has nothing to do except for bullying Dreamer and maybe Boogeyman, so he can just simply be released or go to SD! or RAW but seriously, do they need more ZOMG BIG GUY UNDEFEATED STREAK!~~!

For Punk to really get over as a credible champion, he has to go over V convincingly, not some overwrought DQ or countout finish. Does that have to happen in the first real meeting? Not necessarily. V should not become champion, though, as he has no competition on ECW now...he will have squashed everyone, including the champ. Would they bring Morrison back at that point as a face to beat him? Draft some other behemoth from another show? God, I hope not. Thus, I see only two really plausible outcomes, even in the WWE: (1) Punk goes over V convincingly, or (2) DQ/Countout due to interference leaves Punk with the title. In the E, option 2 is by far the most likely. I don't think the E is going to build Punk up as a giant killer right now, if ever.

What is this big fucking deal about John Morrison? The guy gets suspended for drugs, so they would just bring him right back and put a belt back on him like nothing happened? For some reason I don't see this happening. In fact the only reason to screw everyone over (Dreamer, the fans, etc) is for Big Daddy V to simply win the belt and have some never ending title run from hell.

At least if they put the ECW title on Mabel I'll have one less show to bother with.