TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

I already knew he said he was only shooting B12 and lidocaine in his ass. But what's puzzling is that lidocaine is a local anaesthetic. Why would he shoot lidocaine in his ass? Does he have a chronically sore ass?

I don't really now what it would feel like for a hero to let you down.

One time Spider-Man was fighting his most successful clone, Ben Reilly, and Mary-Jane tried to break it up, and Spider-Man ended up throwing her into a wall across the room. I was like "oh, dude, Spidey, no!"

*ahem*

I think you guys must have missed this.

n/p

Still waiting for someone more learned in narcotics than I to explain why Roger Clemens needed a local anaesthetic for his ass. I'll also accept "Roger Clemens is a fat sack of shit who got caught in a lie" as a response, seeing as that's probably what happened here.

Some doctor just called B&B and tore Clemens's "h'yup, I take lidocaine and B12!" shit to shreds.

I already knew he said he was only shooting B12 and lidocaine in his ass. But what's puzzling is that lidocaine is a local anaesthetic. Why would he shoot lidocaine in his ass? Does he have a chronically sore ass?

Sore hips, perhaps. Although he is a starting pitcher; sitting on his ass is 80% of his job, he may as well be comfortable.

Fat Rodge is ripping off the Marion Jones playbook to the letter, and that didn't work out for her, did it?

I'm glad they had the crusty old Yankee homer there to lob softballs at him last night, too. Haha. George Bush, Roger Clemens, and Lovie Smith: the Texan troika of lying assholes.

The conspiracy theory floating around town is that Roger filed his lawsuit so that he can avoid going in front of Congress on the grounds of not wanting to potentially harm his pending litigation by speaking about it under oath elsewhere.

Yep. Exactly.

Also, I'll find it in a sec, but I'm pretty sure many doctors have said the whole B12 injection thing is horseshit and has little, if any, medicinal value.

The conspiracy theory floating around town is that Roger filed his lawsuit so that he can avoid going in front of Congress on the grounds of not wanting to potentially harm his pending litigation by speaking about it under oath elsewhere.

That sounds pretty plausible. That way he gets to play golf in Palm Springs that weekend, too. The hearings are the same week as the PGA pro-am event.

Yep. Exactly.

Also, I'll find it in a sec, but I'm pretty sure many doctors have said the whole B12 injection thing is horseshit and has little, if any, medicinal value.

Yeah, B12 deficiency is pretty rare among anyone under 65, and that's the only reason you'd need a B12 injection. He'd have to have had a deficiency all along.

SI talks to McNamme and McNamme stands by his story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...mens/index.html

" And Roger was in no way an abuser of steroids. He never took them through our tough winter workouts. And he never took them in spring training, when the days are longest. He took them in late July, August, and never for more than four to six weeks max ... it wasn't that frequent. "

-- Brian McNamee

Just to point/counterpoint with McNamee, here's an article from the Houston Chronicle that talks about the defamation lawsuit that Clemens filed yesterday against the trainer. This isn't the whole article, just the most interesting, juiciest part:

In the suit, the careers of Clemens and McNamee are chronicled, including that they met in 1998 and "discovered a shared intensity for grueling, military-style workouts." It lists Clemens' formidable litany of successes before and after the McNamee allegations.

Hardin said the idea is to assess the history and credibility of both Clemens and McNamee. Clemens' suit does not favor McNamee, of course.

The lawsuit notes that McNamee was a suspect, but never charged, in an alleged date rape in Florida in 2001. The New York Times has mentioned the accusation and McNamee's lawyer, Earl Ward, noted no charges were filed. A Florida prosecutor concluded there was insufficient evidence. The lawsuit and the New York paper state that the Florida investigation led to McNamee's termination from the Yankees as a trainer.

The lawsuit also includes a quote from a conversation Hardin's private investigators had with McNamee after the Mitchell Report was made public. The lengthy McNamee quote indicates he was persuaded to talk about Clemens after a federal prosecutor and agent threatened him.

According to the lawsuit, McNamee told Hardin's investigators a federal prosecutor and federal agent talked about how he already had two strikes against him for possessing and delivering steroids and could get a third — lying to a federal agent — and go to jail. He said it was soon after that he was asked "So what about Clemens?"

McNamee is quoted as saying a federal agent said since McNamee trained Clemens, he should know that the pitcher was taking steroids. McNamee said a piece of paper was thrown at him and then the prosecutor spoke: "He goes, 'We know about (sic) more about you than you know about yourself.' He goes, 'You're going to jail.' My attorney just sat there. And they said 'Let's go back to when you first met Clemens in '98.' "

The lawsuit alleges McNamee said that after he said he injected Clemens with steroids, McNamee "magically" became a witness instead of a target in a criminal federal drug investigation that preceded the Mitchell Report.

The suit further states McNamee was threatened with being prosecuted if he didn't repeat his story to the Mitchell Commission in a "cold war era interrogation" where the trainer was asked to agree after a federal agent read his previous statements.

Hardin said Clemens has taken the advice of his lawyer and others in working to clear his name. He said the lawsuit doesn't accuse Mitchell or Major League Baseball because there isn't information to show anyone but McNamee defamed Clemens.

"We don't know what McNamee told (Mitchell). We don't know what vetting he did," Hardin said.

Clemens said he was reluctant to file the lawsuit and has been unhappy with this entire episode.

"I'm going to shell out millions trying to defend my name," said Clemens.

Clemens mentioned a 2006 Los Angeles Times story that falsely connected him with steroids but has since been shown to have been based on a legal document that didn't mention the pitcher at all.

"When you see the people who are absolutely trashing me and my name and my family, like I said, after a year with the LA Times, at the end of the day I got an apology. Maybe I'll get that again. Maybe I'll get an apology that 'I'm sorry about the lies. I'm sorry that we did what we did,' " Clemens said.

So, basically Clemens is saying that McNamee was coerced into naming Clemens, whether what he said was true or not. I'm not sure if I believe that, but I'm not sure if I don't believe it. I'm really interested to see Clemens' Grand Jury testimony; I have it marked on my calender. I have to teach that day, but I've already scheduled for all my students to take a test that day so I can watch the hearing.

Boy, that press conference sure made ol' Rodge sound like an absolute retard, didn't it. Not like we didn't know.

I'm just glad that he used the expression 'I don't give a rat's ass...'. I've always liked that expression and felt that it didn't get enough play, especially outside of the South.

I just love how, throughout the phone call with McNamee, Clemens keeps saying "I've got this press conference I've got to get through on Monday" as if it's some kind of heavy burden being forced upon him. Um, Rog...YOU called the press conference.

Also, his "not giving a rat's ass about" about the Hall is a load of horseshit. Clemens has always been very aware of his legacy and his place in baseball history and there is no way I'm EVER believing he doesn't care about the Hall of Fame.

He missed a funeral for this!

Way to ride off into the sunset, you giant fraud.

Since there isn't an Ask Al thread at the moment, I'll just post this here and hope for help. Does anyone know if there's been research done on the average amount of runs scored based on the point of the batting order on which the inning starts? I'm curious to see just how much of a difference starting the inning on the number three batter makes as opposed to starting on, say, the number eight.

Since there isn't an Ask Al thread at the moment, I'll just post this here and hope for help. Does anyone know if there's been research done on the average amount of runs scored based on the point of the batting order on which the inning starts? I'm curious to see just how much of a difference starting the inning on the number three batter makes as opposed to starting on, say, the number eight.

I'm not certain if the research has been done based on the spot in the batting order. I can tell you though that the first inning (where the optimum order can be set beforehand) sees more runs scored than any other inning. The second inning is the lowest scoring inning of the game. The next six are completely random.

according to Orioleshangout.com

Reports: Roberts Traded to Cubs

By: Tony Pente 1/9/2008

Orioleshangout.com has learned through several sources that the trade of All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts to the Cubs has been finalized.

The early reports indicate that Orioles will get back 22-year old right-hander pitching prospect Sean Gallagher, 25-year old left-handed starting pitcher Sean Marshall, and 24-year old shortstop Ronny Cedeno.

Update: An Orioles official has contacted the Hangout and denied this report and said "it is completely inaccurate."

More to come as it develops.....