TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

I like watching games with intense fans. Just a few weeks ago I was at a Knick game and the fans were great (as long as they know what they're talking about). Intelligent fans who scream things out every now and then is alright with me. Also if you're watching a game with someone who is rooting for the opposite team and he's being a jackass, nothing is better than having your team make a great comeback and shove that in his face. You can't do that in a laid back environment.

Here are some prospect rankings for the Yankees and Red Sox, courtesty of John Sickels (well known and respected in scouting circles). As for the letter grades accompanying each player, A usually denotes a future star, B is a solid major leaguer and C (which I haven't included here) are guys with an outside shot of making a roster.

Top Yankees Prospects

1. Joba Chamberlain, RHP, Grade A

2. Jose Tabata, OF, Grade B+

3. Ian Kennedy, RHP, Grade B+

4. Alan Horne, RHP, Grade B

5. Austin Jackson, OF, Grade B-

6. Bradley Suttle, 3B, Grade B-

7. Dellin Betances, RHP, Grade B-

Top Red Sox Prospects

1. Clay Buchholz, RHP, Grade A

2. Jacoby Ellsbury, OF, Grade A-

3. Jed Lowrie, SS, Grade A-

4. Lars Anderson, Grade B+

5. Michael Bowden, RHP, Grade B

6. Justin Masterson, RHP, Grade B

7. Nick Hagadone, LHP, Grade B

8. Ryan Kalish, OF, Grade B

9. Will Middlebrooks, 3B-SS, Grade B-

10. Josh Reddick, OF, Grade B-

11. Oscar Tejeda, SS, Grade B-

12. Aaron Bates, 1B, Grade B-

He's about half-way through the league right now with his rankings. The only other A's so far are Johnny Cueto, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto and Camerom Maybin.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Hey, the bold ones on the Red Sox list looks a lot like a Johan Santana trade package.

I'm a little afraid of going to Dodger Stadium, especially when we play the Giants. Dodger fans are laid back, but there's people (read: Mexicans) who take things a little too seriously. That's not racism, it's just the truth. For that reason alone, I don't sit in the outfield. Angels fans are bros or soccer moms, with the typical Orange County realtor representing the adult male sector. Giants fans are ok. Padres fans are too. Don't know about A's fans, there aren't any around here.

The minor league park down the street has the most calm fans you'll ever see. It's a lean back and put your feet on the chair in front of you type of environment.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I'm a little afraid of going to Dodger Stadium, especially when we play the Giants. Dodger fans are laid back, but there's people (read: Mexicans) who take things a little too seriously. That's not racism, it's just the truth. For that reason alone, I don't sit in the outfield. Angels fans are bros or soccer moms, with the typical Orange County realtor representing the adult male sector. Giants fans are ok. Padres fans are too. Don't know about A's fans, there aren't any around here.

The minor league park down the street has the most calm fans you'll ever see. It's a lean back and put your feet on the chair in front of you type of environment.

Sounds like it's almost worth the taxes to live and work in California. That sounds ideal except for the taco types at Dodger Stadium. I guess they hate the Giants?

They hate everything, except Corona. Some of the rowdy people are easy to talk to, others definitely not. I've seen some crazy bros at Angel Stadium, but they don't try to stir up shit or stab people. That atmosphere doesn't carry over to any of the other sporting events in town.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
They hate everything, except Corona. Some of the rowdy people are easy to talk to, others definitely not. I've seen some crazy bros at Angel Stadium, but they don't try to stir up shit or stab people. That atmosphere doesn't carry over to any of the other sporting events in town.

It's mostly white people from the suburbs or New Jersey who start fights at Phillies or Eagles games.

Giants games sound nice. I wondered about the A's because Oakland is such a notorious shithole. I bet their games will be great once they move to Fremont.

No, it's the same feeling I get when going to a Chargers game... even when the Raiders aren't playing them.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

No, it's the same feeling I get when going to a Chargers game... even when the Raiders aren't playing them.

Southern California is a lot more Mexican gangbanger than Northern California. Even I know that, and I've never been there. Though the Raiders have some screwed up fans too, that's for sure.

Alex Rodriguez has dumped Scott Boras to sign with Guy Oseary. Oseary is a celebrity agent whose client list includes Madonna and David Blaine.

Not sure what sort of impact this has on A-Rod or the Boras camp. A-Rod has signed his last professional deal and Boras still has the best squad of clients in the game. Does put a slightly different light on the entire opt out and re-negotiation though.

Well, I guess it makes sense. He'll never need a sports agent, again, but he might need a hollywood agent.

In other, more important, news...

Reese says Dukes sent her a text message on Oct. 23 that stated she would "have to deal with the consequences" and "don't let me see you when I come home" and "it's a promise, now make your move."

On Nov. 24, according to Reese, Dukes came to her home to discuss an incident that took place in his home before their split. After that visit, she said, he has been calling her home at inappropriate times. "It's on," Dukes said during a 5 a.m. phone call, according to Reese.

The man loves to use a phone as a weapon and I have to respect him for it.

Well, I guess it makes sense. He'll never need a sports agent, again, but he might need a hollywood agent.

In other, more important, news...

Reese says Dukes sent her a text message on Oct. 23 that stated she would "have to deal with the consequences" and "don't let me see you when I come home" and "it's a promise, now make your move."

On Nov. 24, according to Reese, Dukes came to her home to discuss an incident that took place in his home before their split. After that visit, she said, he has been calling her home at inappropriate times. "It's on," Dukes said during a 5 a.m. phone call, according to Reese.

The man loves to use a phone as a weapon and I have to respect him for it.

Unless he sent a picture message of a handgun to accompany it, this pales in comparison to his previous cellphone work.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise
The man loves to use a phone as a weapon

So Elijah Dukes is in this abusive relationship with MikeSC?

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

It's on.

You dead, dawg.

I ain't even bullshittin'.

It's on.

Your kids too.

Don't let me see you when I get home.

It's on.

It's a promise. Now make your move.

It's on.

I ain't even bullshittin'.

You dead, dawg.

Mariners are close to signing Carlos Silva, 4 years for 44 million is the rumored price tag. Also, the Dodgers have dropped out of talks for Bedard, and the Reds are unwilling to give up Bruce. I'm not sure Bedard is going to be traded anymore, which means he'll probably be traded today.

Top Story: OMG Clemens denies drug use!

Buried story in small print: Phillies* pitcher Julio Mateo pleads guilty to third-degree assault and disorderly conduct. I use the asterisk because he has yet to pitch for the club. According to the article, the Phillies released him this month. Now the charges seem severely reduced, but I wonder what it is that makes a team so hard up for relief pitching pass on someone as capable on the mound. I guess you can only have one wife-beater on your club.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

The difference between Mateo and Myers is that Myers' wife deserved it.

Also, Myers is better at pitching.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
At least he didn't hack anyone w/ a machete, then set them on fire.

Free Ugueth Urbina!

At least he didn't hack anyone w/ a machete, then set them on fire.

He should have went the rest of the way and pissed on them. If he pissed on them while they burned, he might have gotten off with community service for being a great asshole.

So, apparently $50M was set aside for the Orange Bowl before it got demolished. Today, Miami officials voted to give that money to the Marlins. All of it.

The state, which is the major obstacle to a stadium, is no longer needed, and apparently all $525M needed for the stadium is in hand.

I made sure before I posted this here as to how close this truly is, and apparently this is a few signatures short of a done deal.

In time to keep Hanley, at least.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
The state, which is the major obstacle to a stadium, is no longer needed

Yeah, damn them for not driving Brinks trucks full of money to Jeffrey Loria! What assholes!

He was under the impression that is what season ticket holders were for. Regardless of whether you put a major league caliber team on the field or not.

Personal seat licenses, on sale tomorrow!