TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Hey just $15 million more and he's finally paid off!

Although the Rockies still owe him a $6 million buyout in 2009. The gift that keeps on giving.

Guest NYankees

Neagle, Hampton and was it Hammonds? 3 horrible contracts given by the Rockies in the early 2000's.

I really hope Milwaukee decides against putting Derrick Turnbow back in the closer role. I'd rather they tried Capuano there, or McClung, or a rookie. They should've traded Turnbow for scrap to free up some spare cash for Cordero.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

I can't imagine that's even been entertained. Turnbow closing, that is. I'm sure they tried to trade him for garbage, but the Cubs have the market cornered on trading for garbage. There was actually no garbage left to trade.

Mark Prior is on the market, if anybody wants him. We don't! He's going to miss a good portion of early 2008, I guess, so the Cubs are ready to just cut ties with him already. Everyone says he'll go to Cincinnati to play under Dusty Baker again. Why? Because that worked so well the first time?

Neagle, Hampton and was it Hammonds? 3 horrible contracts given by the Rockies in the early 2000's.

Hammonds was a Brewer. The third outrageous contract was probably Todd Helton, but they are still getting some value back on that one.

Please remove those pics...ugh.

The Twins and Devil Rays are about to complete a multi player deal that's centered around Delmon Young going to Minnesota and Matt Garza going to Tampa Bay.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Please remove those pics...ugh.

The Twins and Devil Rays are about to complete a multi player deal that's centered around Delmon Young going to Minnesota and Matt Garza going to Tampa Bay.

I didn't believe it when it was just a rumor at first, but if it's true it's a great trade for Minnesota.

Young, Harris, and Pridie for Garza, Bartlett, and Rincon is the latest.

Better deal for the Rays. They have more OFs then they know what to do with but put Garza with Kazmir and all the B+ and above pitching prospects they have bubbling up to the bigs... they could actually have a winning season coming up.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Better deal for the Rays. They have more OFs then they know what to do with but put Garza with Kazmir and all the B+ and above pitching prospects they have bubbling up to the bigs... they could actually have a winning season coming up.

I hope they're not counting on Rocco Baldelli to do anything.

One thing that's interesting is that the Rays would put Aubrey Huff out there in right field, so I don't see why they can't put Jonny Gomes there too. If the Rays decide to bring Elijah Dukes back, they would have a really nice outfield even without Delmon Young (who I think will continue to be awesome in this league, however).

I don't know. I try to give the Twins the benefit of the doubt when they make deals that aren't salary dumps or trying to get rid of a player they're going to soon lose control over (see: Santana, Johan) so I have to believe that they know what they're doing acquiring these players. Brendan Harris was surprisingly good for the Rays last year, actually, and the guys at Rotoworld seem to think Harris would take over at 2nd base until Alexi Casilla is ready.

Who will play third for the Twins, though, if Punto moves to shortstop? Brian Buscher?

and I now truely hate Carl Pohlad. The state decides to pay for most of HIS stadium and he lets Torii leave, going to trade Johan(which im all for because I know he wont pay him) and now trades whats probably the second best pitcher on the team (guessing johan is traded) ..................THANKS CARL!!!

The best thing the Twins did is not pay Hunter.

Young fills a need for the Twins. In order to get someone, you have to give up something. The Twins are pitching rich, and should pick up even more when they trade Santana.

Oh i agree 100% that Torii isnt worth 90 mill, but we have other prospect and Garza is the second best guy after Liriano. Garza should be untouchable seeing ass how Johan is all but gone

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Oh i agree 100% that Torii isnt worth 90 mill, but we have other prospect and Garza is the second best guy after Liriano. Garza should be untouchable seeing ass how Johan is all but gone

I suspect Garza was not costing them much, and he was probably under their control for a little while longer. The Twins just don't trade good players under those circumstances unless they're making a smart long-term decision. Maybe they know something. I certainly hope so, as their 2007-2008 lineup has some holes right now.

(All statistics adjusted for season.)

1. Jason Tyner (CF - .243 EqA, 1.5 WARP1)

2. Brendan Harris (2B - .268 EqA, 1.6 WARP1)

3. Joe Mauer (C - .282 EqA, 5.7 WARP1)

4. Michael Cuddyer (RF - .275 EqA, 4.1 WARP1)

5. Justin Morneau (1B - .279 EqA, 6.4 WARP1)

6. Delmon Young (LF - .250 EqA*, 2.1 WARP1)

7. Jason Kubel (DH - .270 EqA, 3.0 WARP1)

8. Brian Buscher (3B - .236 EqA, 0.1 WARP1)

9. Nick Punto (SS - .205 EqA**, 0.4 WARP1)

(* I didn't realize he was this bad.)

(** Jesus fucking Christ, Nick Punto is terrible at hitting baseballs.)

Something like that, anyway. The middle's pretty awesome and if Harris and Tyner play decently then it's only really the last two who are toilet bowl terrible baseball players.

Well i wouldnt even guess a lineup for this team seeing as how a major piece is most likely going to be traded and rumors are starting to heat up on trading Nathan too

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Well i wouldnt even guess a lineup for this team seeing as how a major piece is most likely going to be traded and rumors are starting to heat up on trading Nathan too

I heard they were talking to people about Justin Morneau. That's probably stupid on their part.

Anyway, I'm just saying - the way it is now is not the best, but it's not awful either. I think they need to get someone to play shortstop or third base that doesn't suck. That would be nice.

Why the vitriol regarding the Twins? Letting a 31 year old center fielder go is not a terrible move. They have two stars yet in Mauer and Morneau, and real depth in their pitching ranks. I can't see this Garza for Young trade going down, since corner outfield is not the Twins' problem.

The Phillies picked up Shane Youman off waivers. The Astros signed Tomas Perez to a minor league contract, a sure sign that Ed Wade is their GM.

Trading for Delmon Young isn't exactly a bad move. I know that the rule is to never trade good pitching for hitting, but they have a good balance of young SP. Young had a really rough start to his pro career, but he's still going to be excellent some day.

Torii Hunter is overrated. He has a decent glove and some pop in his bat, but he's hardly a star player and he's only getting worse. It was the right move to let him go. Also, they obviously don't have have the resources to pay Santanan and Nathan. Just let them all three of them go and start over. If they play this thing right they could be back in the mix in a short amount of time.

We know that they'll get Hughes, Kershaw or Buchholz back in a Santana deal if they trade him. The rotation would still be Liriano/Hughes/Baker/Slowey/Perkins, which is really good. Trade Nathan for another infielder and plug in Neshek as the closer and that team will hang in the Central.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Why the vitriol regarding the Twins? Letting a 31 year old center fielder go is not a terrible move. They have two stars yet in Mauer and Morneau, and real depth in their pitching ranks. I can't see this Garza for Young trade going down, since corner outfield is not the Twins' problem.

The Phillies picked up Shane Youman off waivers. The Astros signed Tomas Perez to a minor league contract, a sure sign that Ed Wade is their GM.

I don't know. Twins fans think that their GM is always screwing them somehow, I guess. Maybe they have a point sometimes. Letting Hunter go is not one of those situations. Trading Santana is a great move. If this Young & friends for Garza & co. trade goes down, it is not a bad move either.

Anyway, if you really want to look at the work of Ed Wade, check out the Doug Brocail signing and all the other crap middle relievers he's brought in already. I know of a particular Astros fan who threw a fit when he saw that Wade had been hired as the GM, because he knew that this is what the team would turn into. Ed Wade is very bad at his job, and it's unclear how he continues to get them.

The Rays could be really good next year. They are reportedly working out a deal with Troy Percival in addition to the Garza/Young trade. So they could have a rotation of Kazmir/Shields/Garza/some combo or Davis, Niemann and Price with Percival, Rincon and Reyes on the back end... with that offense too? The AL East just got a whole lot scarier.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
The Rays could be really good next year. They are reportedly working out a deal with Troy Percival in addition to the Garza/Young trade. So they could have a rotation of Kazmir/Shields/Garza/some combo or Davis, Niemann and Price with Percival, Rincon and Reyes on the back end... with that offense too? The AL East just got a whole lot scarier.

Especially with the Orioles being a big pile of crap.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Troy Percival didn't have much to offer with the Cardinals last season. I can't see him offering much against the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Troy Percival didn't have much to offer with the Cardinals last season. I can't see him offering much against the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays.

Yeah, and the Rays' closer last year was Al Reyes. Taking a risk on an old dude at the back end of the bullpen is not out of character for this team.

Personally, I think the rain on the parade is more likely to be Carlos Peña coming back down to earth. But we shall see.

I don't know. Twins fans think that their GM is always screwing them somehow, I guess. Maybe they have a point sometimes. Letting Hunter go is not one of those situations. Trading Santana is a great move. If this Young & friends for Garza & co. trade goes down, it is not a bad move either.

Anyway, if you really want to look at the work of Ed Wade, check out the Doug Brocail signing and all the other crap middle relievers he's brought in already. I know of a particular Astros fan who threw a fit when he saw that Wade had been hired as the GM, because he knew that this is what the team would turn into. Ed Wade is very bad at his job, and it's unclear how he continues to get them.

Kidding aside about Wade, I don't get how he is so bad at his job. The armchair GMs look at his moves, scoff and chuckle. In reality, he took a Phillies team coming off consecutive 90 loss seasons and a barren farm system, and made them contenders in three years. He was fired after the Phillies won 88 games and replaced by an experienced GM in Pat Gillick. The Phillies have won 85 and 89 games in the seasons since. Some drastic improvement, huh?

Wade got a raw deal in Philadelphia. He could really surprise people in Houston.

Percival had a 1.80 ERA with a 36/10 strikeout to walk ratio in 40 innings of work. He was really good for the Cardinals last years.