TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2007 World Series

Remember those rumors we heard a few weeks ago about the Rockies having owners that were rather aloof in dealing with the media? Check this quote out:

No one was more excited about the Rockies' magical run than their owner, Charlie Monfort. In fact, maybe he got a little too excited.

Monfort insisted after Game 4 of the World Series that the Rockies are a better team than the Boston Red Sox, a team that outscored them 29-10 in a four-game Series sweep.

"These guys did amazing things," Monfort said. "I think this team is a better team than Boston. It would have been nice to have another two, three, four days. We'll wake up tomorrow and go, 'There's no baseball game to go to,' but what a deal they did. It's an amazing thing they accomplished just to get here."

They were amazing, all right. But better than the Red Sox?

"I think so," said Monfort. "How did we win 21 out of 22? We got the breaks. And I think they got the breaks. Are they a better team? I don't think so. You give us 10 games against them, we'll beat them six."

Your team just came off it's best season in it's short history. Don't make wild statements to the media that just degrade the perception of this team. The Rockies were slaughtered in this series. It wasn't even remotely competitive. Go back to the drawing board and start working for next year instead of dwelling on this.

On June 28, 2005 after struggling with injuries and a 6.03 ERA to that point, Foulke lashed out at Red Sox fans, who were booing him.

"They're not going to make it any harder than it is for me to go home and look in the mirror," Foulke said about the booing that rained down from the stands on a sticky night in the Fens. "Like I've told you guys plenty of times, I'm more embarrassed to walk into this locker room and look at the faces of my teammates than I am to walk out and see Johnny from Burger King booing me. I'm worried about these guys, not everybody else."

Foulke's perceived lack of respect for Red Sox fans has made him a target for both fans and the Boston media alike. His baseball heart was also questioned because he said he did not care if he was a closer, but clarified, "I love to pitch. I don't care if I pitch in the second inning, the fourth inning, the ninth inning, the 10th inning. I didn't ask to be a closer. It's just the job that I do."

The media also had a field day when they found out that Foulke demanded a new truck as compensation for his weekly interviews with Dale & Holley on WEEI.

Like I said, not a big deal to me. The guy receives a pass forever because of 2004 in my eyes. But the departure from Boston was not an amicable one and the mouth-breathers haven't forgiven him for those comments, which were blown out of proportion to a ridiculous degree by the local Boston media.

On June 28, 2005 after struggling with injuries and a 6.03 ERA to that point, Foulke lashed out at Red Sox fans, who were booing him.

"They're not going to make it any harder than it is for me to go home and look in the mirror," Foulke said about the booing that rained down from the stands on a sticky night in the Fens. "Like I've told you guys plenty of times, I'm more embarrassed to walk into this locker room and look at the faces of my teammates than I am to walk out and see Johnny from Burger King booing me. I'm worried about these guys, not everybody else."

Foulke's perceived lack of respect for Red Sox fans has made him a target for both fans and the Boston media alike. His baseball heart was also questioned because he said he did not care if he was a closer, but clarified, "I love to pitch. I don't care if I pitch in the second inning, the fourth inning, the ninth inning, the 10th inning. I didn't ask to be a closer. It's just the job that I do."

The media also had a field day when they found out that Foulke demanded a new truck as compensation for his weekly interviews with Dale & Holley on WEEI.

Like I said, not a big deal to me. The guy receives a pass forever because of 2004 in my eyes. But the departure from Boston was not an amicable one and the mouth-breathers haven't forgiven him for those comments, which were blown out of proportion to a ridiculous degree by the local Boston media.

Just like EVERYTHING else sports related around here. I too will only remember the 2004 Greatness.

Varitek learns from Mientkiewicz and promptly pockets the game-winning ball.

I'm not sure which is more loserly, that Varitek putting the ball in his back pocket was the first thing I noticed after the game was over, or that I can spell Mientkiewicz correctly off the top of my head.

If it makes you feel any better, Tek gave the ball to Papelbon as a gift and supposedly Paps already lost it. With that guy, I totally believe it.

My guess is that a cleaning lady in their Denver hotel is going to find it either inside an empty 48-pack box or in one of the many piles of vomit in the bathroom.