TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Darjeeling Limited

Typical Wes Anderson greatness.

It dragged a bit, and could have lost a few minutes but there were some moments where I was laughing out loud for extended periods.

Great, great film.

Anyone else see it?

Yep. Enjoyed it very much, though I agree that the film would have been more effective if ten minutes had been snipped off the end. Shots kept coming up where I was saying to myself "okay, that'd be a good image to end the film with" (particularly, "to be continued") only to see the movie roll on.

I'd argue that The Darjeeling Limited is Wes Anderson's most immediate and best film since Rushmore. I think this film felt a bit more human and less glib than the last couple of Anderson outings, so the decidedly mixed response this one's been getting is a bit of a surprise to me.

I've read a number of reviews/heard from a number of people who say that it might grow on them. While I more or less love TDJ the first time out, I can understand why someone would feel they need to sit down with it again; Anderson's movies don't always open themselves up upon first exposure; I didn't begin to truly appreciate both The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic until their respective second viewings.

Best moments:

1. The river/funeral village scene.

2. The flashback where the brothers attempt to take their father's car to his funeral.

3. The Hotel Chevalier short.

I'll add I find the praise Owen Wilson's performance has been receiving slightly odd; he's arguably the film's weak link. The character is just Dignan in a different environment, and Wilson does little to make him other than Dignan-esque.

Yeah, the river scene was great. The beginning was classic with the old school zoom in and the great quote that Owen had.

I also particularly enjoyed the entire sequence that led to them getting kicked off the train, and the direct aftermath.

The short was good; I liked the callback to it when he put the same exact song on when Rita came into his cabin.

As always, I felt in the hands of a fully capable artist, Wes Andersen films are so tightly constructed, that in lesser hands they would feel artificial. Yet his characters are so fully at home in the world they enhabit it never once feels fake. Adrian Brody fit right at home. I never understand why some people criticize Wes' work for having characters that you can't connect with. They are emotionally frustrated but I always can understand where they're coming from. I'd place this film next to The Royal Tennebaums, just below Rushmore.

Did you guys get the short before the movie? I'd watched it on iTunes a week previous so I didn't mind not seeing it, but apparently everyone's getting it now.

I really liked this too.