TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fazzle

Mass Effect

This thread is to discuss Mass Effect, which will be coming out in 10 days.

....or SHOULD have been coming out in 10 days. Some K-Marts have already broken the street date, including mine..

I'm only on the first level, but so far I'd only give it an 8 - 8.5, too many clipping issues, and the teammate AI is stupid as hell.

post-432-1194747965_thumb.jpg

My ex-girlfriend's 360 did that same shit. Wouldn't read any disks at all. Warrant won't cover it. Costs you 100 bucks and will take about 3 weeks. Bummer. I have been playing so much Wii that I've forgotten about the 360 until I finish up my last game and move on to Halo 3. I'm scared to turn the damn thing on!

Are you laying flat or standing it up? Standing up is more or less not a good idea for almost any of the 3 game systems when it come to discs. Maybe less for the Wii.

Maybe I'm too used to KOTOR but I'm just not feeling Mass Effect. I've only played 20 minutes so far but I don't really like the weapons or the combat system that much. This could be due to the fact that I've played many, many hours of Halo 3 and COD 4 this month and I'm too used to aiming in a general direction and stuff dying.

Update: I ended up playing for another 4 hours. The story is pretty cool so far but there hasn't been a whole lot of action. Mostly I'm just tracking down side quests. I've gotten used to the combat system a little. Monstly I just send my team mates up ahead to do my dirty work. Then when they die I come in and mop up. I'm lazy even in video games.

Finsihed it. Played as a soldier/shock trooper and did as many of the sidequests and planet exploring as I could before I tackled the main quest, so I was kind of overpowered for most of the main quest (finished up at level 49 I think). I spent most of the time partied with Ashley (backup fire support) and Tali (repairs and hacking, but I got her shotgun level fairly high for offense) and pretty much steamrolled everything. I didn't use Kaiden or Liara at all, and used Garrik and Wrex sparingly (although Wrex was actually a pretty good hybrid soldier/biotic). The plot was better than most movies Hollywood puts out, and the conclusion is satisfying while making the sequels obvious. I think it's planned on being a trilogy anyway. Plus, Bioware even threw in the inevitable romance angle that was OK, although Ashley's lines got a little painful when she started getting close to you. Plus, realistic buttcrack OMG!

All in all, I enjoyed it and might go back and play as a renegade so I can be a dick to everyone. Playing the nice guy sucks, I'd like to try waving my gun at everyone and hanging up on the asinine council when they get on my nerves.

EDIT: Forgot to add that those driving elements were about to drive me insane. Why did the designers feel the need to put everything on top of a mountain? A really STEEP mountain? I guess to increase the challenge, but it just irritated the shit out of me.

Can I just say, this is one Amazing game.

I've avoided any threads or info regarding it so as not to be spoiled, but just finished it up, at least on the Paragon pathway, and this story was excellent. And I'm definitely looking forward to more. Only bad thing is, this game doesn't seem to have garnered as much attention as it should have (Considering how far down this thread is) unless others are just avoiding the thread like I was, which I doubt.

Don't know what the consensus is, but I still think this is a definite GOTY candidate. The graphics are insane, barring the fact that there are times where it takes a few seconds to load the detail/textures, but Halo, and other RPG type next gen games have suffered from that as well. I really like the differences in the Paragon and Renegade dialog, as from what I've seen, they're extremely different. (As a Paragon, I chose to have an interview, and it turned out just fine..but then just for a the hell of it, took the Renegade path to end it, and he promptly knocks the shit out of the lady interviewing him) That seems like it'll be fun.

Overall, great game. Great graphics, great story. Definitely looking forward to a second playthrough.

I rented it and i'll be re-renting it. The game is pretty in-depth and I've been doing a lot of side quests......though I ended up picking I think the worst class, which is Engerieer (sp?) which really only allows me to use a pistol and I can't really upgrade my armor to much. Really enjoyable game.

I only got it Friday and I've been avoiding threads about it, as I know some people 'forget' spoiler tags, and this is the kind of game I wouldn't want spoiled.

Really good so far, I'll update once I finish.

Quick note about leveling up.

When you hit level 36, you'll only be able to level up one point at a time. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

I'm so fed up with this game right now. It's been great for the most part, but this mission I'm on now... Ugh. I quit playing for a month due to COD4 addiction. I started it up again yesterday. I finished the last bit of Noveria (did it before Feros) and then when I left to go to another system, I got a transmission from the Alliance Marines regarding the Rogue VI on Luna, Earth's Moon.

The first 2 bunkers were hard enough, and I had to back up and recharge health and biotics multiple times. But the third bunker is just plain impossible. I have to shoot through the kinetic field blocking the doorway where the enemies are, so they come after em and actually chase me into the room I'm in, allowing me no room to breathe. I exhaust all my biotic powers twice, but these things kill fast and up close, they kill in one hit.

This is fucking ridiculous. It's not even challenging; it's just cheap. I have no chance. It's about 50 times harde than anything else I've encountered in the game, and this is on NORMAL difficulty. I'm a Level 26 Vanguard with Ashley and Liara as my party members.

I'm so fed up with this game right now. It's been great for the most part, but this mission I'm on now... Ugh. I quit playing for a month due to COD4 addiction. I started it up again yesterday. I finished the last bit of Noveria (did it before Feros) and then when I left to go to another system, I got a transmission from the Alliance Marines regarding the Rogue VI on Luna, Earth's Moon.

The first 2 bunkers were hard enough, and I had to back up and recharge health and biotics multiple times. But the third bunker is just plain impossible. I have to shoot through the kinetic field blocking the doorway where the enemies are, so they come after em and actually chase me into the room I'm in, allowing me no room to breathe. I exhaust all my biotic powers twice, but these things kill fast and up close, they kill in one hit.

This is fucking ridiculous. It's not even challenging; it's just cheap. I have no chance. It's about 50 times harde than anything else I've encountered in the game, and this is on NORMAL difficulty. I'm a Level 26 Vanguard with Ashley and Liara as my party members.

Should have been a soldier. >_>

But if it's giving you trouble to the point that you're going to stop playing, then why not just go ahead and change it to easy for this one mission?

If anyone still wants this game, here's pretty much the best deal ever

From the Target ad for June 8-14 (starts a week from Sunday):

XBOX 360 Games:

Ninja Gaiden II >>>> $59.99 ++++

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 >>>> $39.99 ++++

Lights… Camera …. Action…. Scene It? >>>> $49.99 ++++

Assassin’s Creed >>>> $39.99 ++++

Gears Of War >>>> $39.99 ++++

NASCAR ’09 >>>> $59.99 ++++ Available 6/11/08 – 4 PM

++++ Free Mass Effect video game with the purchase of any 2 of the XBOX 360 games listed above

The new Ninja Gaiden sequel, and then Gears, Assassin's Creed, and RSV2, all for $40 each. Buy 2 of those, and get Mass Effect free! Three awesome games (ME included), all of them being no older than 6-7 months except Gears, for $80! I have ME already, but I'll be buying Gears and one of the others and doing the Wal-Mart exchange of MEfor store cerdit for something else.

That's your problem. You haven't got any tech powers (aside from Electronics for Liara, which probably isn't maxed up). They're all robotic enemies; get Tali or Garrus or Kaidan in there and it's no problem. I did it as a Vanguard with Liara and Garrus and got through the bunker on my second or third try. Try Singularity-->Overload-->Sabotage and they're toast. Singularity-->Carnage will do some serious damage too.

It's totally worth beating, because you get a great mod to your stats afterwards.

Thanks for the advice, Edwin. I did as Exslade suggested and lowered the difficulty to beat it back then. I haven't played the game since GTA was released.

I kept my party as such for the ally achievements, and because I want some sweet blue alien ass from Liara.

Ha, I didn't even notice the post date. I guess I hadn't read the thread since.

This is pretty much my favorite game of the past whenever. I lent it to a friend and I'm fiending to get it back so I can run through with a different class.

I just finished Mass Effect...got it from Gamefly on Wed and blazed through it. Ended up around level 40+ without doing many of the sidequests. I thought I'd be able to go around the space after the game, free form style. I was wrong.

The first thing that has to be said. The Mako. Fuck the Mako. The idea is a good one in theory, but in execution it was horrible. The thing didn't control well at all, and the use of BOTH STICKS combining a regular driving style with Halo's was a horrible design choice, and on big missions when you *HAD* to use it, it became outright frustrating. On the side quests or simply rampaging through a world, I'd go out of my way to try and wreck the thing by diving off mountains. More or less to see if I could explode it.

On foot, I died only twice the entire game (An ambush attack on one of the early missions and against Benezia) but in the Mako? I died quite alot. I ran into a Thresher Maw and kept dying against it which just made me furious until I killed the thing. I'd die in missions when the controls would get squirelly and I'd end up going backwards towards the enemy for no reason into rocket fire while fighting with the control to get the hell out of the way. Once I simply died in the Mako for making a wrong turn. I still don't know why I died there. Nothing hit me. I just...died.

I enjoyed the gameplay on foot when the game would allow me to simply do that. I was very frustrated in the game for a long time due to the crappy radar/map on the corner, but once I got into the whole "check map from start menu every few minutes" mode I got around okay. By the end of the game, nothing could stand against me as a Soldier/Shock trooper with Ashley completely filled out in battle powers, and a supporting Tali. Not even bosses could last very long at all. I never really used anyone else...For awhile I used Wrex but I filled the tank role, Garrus was useless to me, and Liara I used a few times and marveled at how she'd hold enemies in the air for me to kill...As for Kaidan? I hated Kaidan. Made a certain moment more enjoyable.

One thing I've never seen anyone mention but it has to be said.

The Archive.

That was the biggest waste of time I have ever seen in a video game. You walk, and walk, and walk fighting maybe four enemies the entire time for ATLEAST five minutes straight of just holding up. Get to a little console...then you have to *WALK BACK* which the game did a poor job explaining (I tried for ages to get down from the ledge on foot) and once you get out of the archive, you have to get in the mako...AND GO BACK DOWN AGAIN. And to make it worse, when your walking there's shit in the way that your allies get stuck on, which if you don't notice means you'll have to backtrack to get them free.

It was like the developers suddenly said, "Yeah, this game has good pace on the battles, elevators aside...lets put in a GIGANTIC tunnel just to fuck with the player and the game's pacing! Swerve!".

Ending felt...bleh for all the work I put in too. It might have been because I played exceptionally morality driven and good but all it seemed to be was a hype for Mass Effect 2, which is *NOT* how you should pay off a thirty hour game.

I dunno, I'm trying to figure out if a bleh ending and a frustrating end game destroys the last few days of enjoyment or not. It's iffy.

So I picked this game up and loved it. Played it through twice. I've seen people bitch about the Mako but I had no problems with it. My main problems came from planets that had giant mountain ranges as that's where it got annoying due to having to find alternate paths as the Mako couldn't climb them all. I agree with Hawkius the ending was lame compared to the amount of time spent playing the game, it's like the credits were longer than it. For those of you who haven't played it I'd recommend picking it up as it's fairly cheap now, which really was my sole motivation for buying it as a sort of impulse buy. It was a good choice.