TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Leftover WCW contracts

We're getting up there in years since WCW was last in operation. But obviously there were contracts that had to be hono(u)red that extended beyond 2001. Are there still any wrestlers collecting a paycheck from Time Warner that anybody knows of?

I'd doubt there are any since almost all have working for companies since then. I think the contracts at most had between 6 months and 2 years on them for the most part.

I'd also assume that if there was any real long term contracts then they would probably just offer them a buyout so they can cut their losses and move forward.

I'm fairly certain that Scott Steiner and / or Goldberg were the last 2 contracts left that ran out in late 2002 / early 2003

Yeah, Goldberg was the guy that got me thinking about the whole thing in the first place. Thanks.

IIRC, when they first closed down, AOL/Time Warner offered the wrestlers an option to get the entire contract but they couldn't work until the contract was over, or they could get like $.10 on the dollar or something like that.

Goldberg had just signed a 5-year extension in with WCW in 1999, so his AOL Time Warner deal originally wasn't supposed to expire until September 2004. He finally took a buyout in February 2003 which led to his WWE run.

Goldberg had just signed a 5-year extension in with WCW in 1999, so his AOL Time Warner deal originally wasn't supposed to expire until September 2004. He finally took a buyout in February 2003 which led to his WWE run.

Really? I thought AOL/Warner had offered him what he was going to make overall in one lump sum to get it over with instead of the 10 cents on the dollar thing.