TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Ike Turner Dead

Can I cover John Fogerty & be a genius too?

The Ike & Tina version of Proud Mary blows the original right back to its good job in the city.

Incidentally, snuffbox is probably the most musically ignorant regular poster in this folder.

Incidentally, snuffbox is probably the most musically ignorant regular poster in this folder.

I hope you're prepared to withstand the withering blast of smugness and condescension that will almost certainly be posted in response to this.

"Rocket '88" is often credited as the first rock and roll record and that was years before he was with Tina.

Yeah he's an asshole and I don't want to excuse any of his actions whatsoever, but I also think he's one of the unsung originators of rock and roll.

The innovation of the song is largely in the distorted guitar which was Sam Phillips' idea after Kizart's amp got busted and he liked the sound. Ike put the song together from jams with his band and though it is just pumped up 12 bar blues there is still more fresh stuff than just the guitar and he deserves some credit. However, there is no denying that the song feely borrows from earlier sournces and a great deal of its inventive sound came from a fluke accident and smart risky production. There is a reason he doesn't get quite as much credit for originating rock n roll as other pioneers of the time, he simply doesn't deserve all the credit for the song's original sound. Obviouisly, Ike has done more than this and his talent has been overlooked to a degree because the Tina abuse and whatnot.

edit-It should be noted that many consider Haley's version recored in 51 to be the true kick off of Rock n Roll because of the added country influences that define the genre. Kind of a continous build up and collection of influences with everyone down the line throwing in their two cents to lay down the ground work.

I hope you're prepared to withstand the withering blast of smugness and condescension that will almost certainly be posted in response to this.

Ike was a Surf Rock genius.

Oh for fuck's sake,

It is well known that Soko Richardson was largely the mastermind behind the "Proud Mary" rearrangment. I know Ike's musical ability is underrated but let's not reinvent history because he just kicked the bucket....

Oh for fuck's sake,

It is well known that Soko Richardson was largely the mastermind behind the "Proud Mary" rearrangment. I know Ike's musical ability is underrated but let's not reinvent history because he just kicked the bucket....

Oh, come on. You know the droolers will always elevate people upon their death. Sean Taylor was the Father of the Year a couple weeks ago. Ike Turner was a genius & a wonderful citizen.

i wonder how many times snuffbox has sent an application into amg to become an album reviewer.

This made me laugh.

Oh for fuck's sake,

I guess someone should have told Soko that, seeing as he repeated corrected people when they tried to downplay what Ike did on that song. People wanted to hate Ike so much that they didn't want him to get any credit for it.

Oh for fuck's sake,

I guess someone should have told Soko that, seeing as he repeated corrected people when they tried to downplay what Ike did on that song. People wanted to hate Ike so much that they didn't want him to get any credit for it.

This depends on what he was asked and what context it was in. I don't think anyone needs to dig up Soko and tell him that he is credited for arranging the rhythm section that propells the song and sets it apart so much from the original, it was said to be his most proud achievement in fact. Speaking of "downplaying" your intial post leaves out the innovative drummer credited for co-arranging the cover and refers to the arrangement soley as Ike's or his. Ike was a fairly weak song writer and overall arranger, it was his whammy guitar playing that I find most impressive and inventive.