TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

Shaving

My stubble's tough to shave off, so for the past few years I've had a full beard most of the time and just shave my neck. Takes me 20-35 minutes to do though. Do most people shave with or against the grain? Because I shave with it and I don't get a good amount of stubble off.

I use a Gilette Sensor (cheaper than the newer ones with more blades) and Gilette shave gel.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to shave against the grain.

No, you shave with the grain. Well, sort of.

Basically, a good shave is as much about the preparation of the face as the actual act itself. I'd be willing to bet that many of the complaints rendered in this thread could be alleviated with good practice.

Basically, you should always start with a long, hot shower. At this point, you could also use a pre-shave lotion if you think it's necessary (it's probably not). Lather up with a good gel and shave with the grain. Then, if your face can handle it, shave once more, but this time against the grain. Finish with an after-shave lotion.

I know this sounds like a lot to do, but your face will look and feel much better.

I hardly ever use a razor and shave properly. For about two years now I've been using a beard trimmer to keep it all at a not too ridiculous length. I keep my neck area clean via the trimmer minus any attachments. Only problem is being pretty fair haired some of the old face hair comes through blonde, some through dark. The moustache area is one of the blonde problem areas so unless your're standing pretty close it looks like it doesn't exist.

I use cold water and cheap razors. Like a dollar for 10 twin blade razors.

Anything else is overkill for me.

It should be noted that I can't gro a beard and can only grow some chin stuff and a stashe. But still. all that soaking and lotions and all that shit, fuckit. Cold water, razor and I get no razor bumps, ingrown hairs or razor burn (all really big issues with black dudes).

It should be noted that I can't gro a beard and can only grow some chin stuff and a stashe. But still. all that soaking and lotions and all that shit, fuckit. Cold water, razor and I get no razor bumps, ingrown hairs or razor burn (all really big issues with black dudes).

That's pretty rare dude, as most black men NEED the hot water. That shit sucks even worse when you're mixed.

Oh yeah, I grow facial hair like a 17th century samurai.

Basically, a good shave is as much about the preparation of the face as the actual act itself. I'd be willing to bet that many of the complaints rendered in this thread could be alleviated with good practice.

Basically, you should always start with a long, hot shower. At this point, you could also use a pre-shave lotion if you think it's necessary (it's probably not). Lather up with a good gel and shave with the grain. Then, if your face can handle it, shave once more, but this time against the grain. Finish with an after-shave lotion.

I know this sounds like a lot to do, but your face will look and feel much better.

Dear God. Not all of us can devote an entire evening to shaving.

I shave the face everyday, in the shower, with shaving cream (usually Old Spice or Barbasol). Shave the head every other day, again, in the shower with shaving cream. I use the triple or quadruple blade razors.

I use a Venus razor. Shit works like a charm. I know it's for women, but I've only been cut like, twice, in the three years I've been using them. Of course, I've been shaving every other day for 6 years, so that has something to do with it. I just send my mom to buy them, so I don't get any strange looks from the old ladies at the checkout counter. I'm too self-conscious when it comes to stuff like that.

As far as the cream goes, for me anyway, it's not entirely important. I've never used an electric razor. Ever. Before I started using the Venus razors, I used the simple one blade Bic razors.

That's pretty rare dude, as most black men NEED the hot water. That shit sucks even worse when you're mixed.

Oh yeah, I grow facial hair like a 17th century samurai.

Its the hot water that is fucking up your faces.

Cold water with the razor with the grain and you are good. All that hot shaving cream and stuff, you are basically just putting shit in your pores.

If I didn't look like a dumbass I would just use clippers for a close cut and be done with it.

Its the hot water that is fucking up your faces.

Cold water with the razor with the grain and you are good. All that hot shaving cream and stuff, you are basically just putting shit in your pores.

If I didn't look like a dumbass I would just use clippers for a close cut and be done with it.

This may work for you, Ripper, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to apply this method. The hot water/shower is essential to softening the hairs and opening the pores. Without this step, you are asking for razor burn and ingrown hairs.