TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Moments where titles were buried

I would throw X-Pac vs. Shane McMahon in there as well. The Euro belt was pertfect for someone like Shane.

They should have renamed it the WWF United States Championsip once Angle won it in 2000. It could have been a more effective 3rd tier belt.

"I'm the first person to hold both the Intercontinental and European titles at the same time! Except for D'Lo Brown, but he doesn't count!"

Awesome

Here's something I have wondered. What does the Intercontinental in "Intercontinental Championship" mean anyway? Wouldd you be considered the champion of whatever continent you happen to be wrestling on at the given time, or the champion of several continents, but not necessarily a World champion just yet?

Here's something I have wondered. What does the Intercontinental in "Intercontinental Championship" mean anyway? Wouldd you be considered the champion of whatever continent you happen to be wrestling on at the given time, or the champion of several continents, but not necessarily a World champion just yet?

The World Championship can be defended in the ocean. The Intercontinental Championship cannot.

I dont think the Fingerpoke buried the wcw title necessarily. Th reason why that angle was hated so much back then, was that all of a sudden goldberg was out and hogan was back in and it was like reset back a year and the nwo is back togtehr again. they wanted to comepte with the WWF by going backwards. this is the main reason why that angle is so hated. even hhh handed the world title made sense, cuz he was the #1contender by right anf Brock decided to skip to sd exclusivity, so the title was disputed and bischoff created a new one, since Trips was already the top challenger he was awarded the title, this type of thing happens in boxing alot actually.

I've always maintained that the World title given to HHH was simply the same as the WCW title (which was renamed the World title in late 2001). Brock leaving for SD simply de-unified the belts. It was never exactly stated that way but it would have worked better.

The biggest problem I always had with the Fingerpoke is the stuff that followed it. They had a chance to do Goldberg vs. a unified NWO which they never exactly did in 1998. He could go through Hall like he did at Souled Out, then Nash like at Spring Stampede. But the payoff here needed to be him going through Hogan at BATB 99, but Hogan got hurt and missed a few months, DDP got the belt literally out of nowhere, Goldberg vanished for months on end, and WCW went to hell.

The Fingerpoke didn't bury a title, but it did bury WCW, at least in Georgia. It also personified the fact that WCW was Hogan and Nash's personal playground and the decisions made were all about ego rather than business.

DDP got the belt literally out of nowhere, Goldberg vanished for months on end, and WCW went to hell.

I've never thought about how DDP's win affected the title but come to think of it, it did sort of hurt the title's credibility. DDP wins the title out of nowhere at arguably WCW's last big PPV (Spring Stampede) and then out of nowhere turns heel a short time later. I've always liked DDP but I always thought he was kind of cliche and tacky as a heel, certainly not World Championship material. Then Kevin Nash wins the title a month later and that worked so well the first few times...

Giving DDP the WCW title as a heel was retarded. The guy was super over in 1997 and arguably should have been the guy to beat Goldberg at Halloween Havoc in 1998.

I've mentioned this before on other topics but WCW was still doing a 4.4 or so when DDP first won the belt. When he lost it they were down to a 3.4. DDP as a heel had zero heat and it just literally came out of nowhere. Having already noted that the real money was in Goldberg going after Hogan and the NWO, they also had the Flair/Hogan stuff going. Where the hell did DDP fit into ANY of this?

I've always maintained that the World title given to HHH was simply the same as the WCW title (which was renamed the World title in late 2001). Brock leaving for SD simply de-unified the belts. It was never exactly stated that way but it would have worked better.

The biggest problem I always had with the Fingerpoke is the stuff that followed it. They had a chance to do Goldberg vs. a unified NWO which they never exactly did in 1998. He could go through Hall like he did at Souled Out, then Nash like at Spring Stampede. But the payoff here needed to be him going through Hogan at BATB 99, but Hogan got hurt and missed a few months, DDP got the belt literally out of nowhere, Goldberg vanished for months on end, and WCW went to hell.

agreed on the world title thing, Bischoff stated that the title was now "disputed" and basically inferred the new world title to be the same as the old wcw title.

Indeed. They had a perfect story set-up for Goldberg to win the title back from Nash / Hogan and it never happened. Granted, Goldberg did get revenge against Hall and Nash, but it was unfulfilled. You'd figure he'd try to get back the title he was screwed out of, but for whatever reason, they never made him champion again even though he was still over with the fans after his streak had ended.

Oh, WCW in 1999-2000 desperately needed a strong face world champion and Goldberg was that guy. It seemed like guys were either getting hurt or having personal issues every day back then.

I even thought they had a shot at maybe turning it around with a strong Steiner/Goldberg feud, but the titles and promotion were such a wreck at that point that I don't know.