TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

Specter again questions Goodell on Patriots spying allegations

Sen. Arlen Specter isn't satisfied with the NFL's answers about its Spygate investigation and said it's still possible the New England Patriots cheating scandal could result in Senate hearings.

Specter, the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sunday reiterated comments he made Friday in which he questioned NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's investigation into the spying allegations and his decision to destroy video evidence uncovered by the league earlier this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There are a lot of suspicious circumstances. And I'm not prepared to make any accusations," Specter said Sunday morning on CNN's "Late Edition." "I want to talk to commissioner Goodell. He has agreed to come in to talk to me. But there are a lot of questions which need to be answered."

Specter referred to a story in Sunday's editions of the New York Times in which former prosecutors questioned the thoroughness of the league's investigation. It took no more than 12 days to complete, and allowed the Patriots to decide what material in violation of league rules it turned over, the Times said.

"People are implying that this is some type of cover up," Goodell said Sunday on ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" show. "I think it's exactly the opposite. We were the ones who brought these facts out to light. We were the ones who took the unprecedented discipline to send a very strong message to people -- don't violate the rules."

The comments were made hours before the Patriots played the New York Giants in the Super Bowl in Glendale, Ariz.

Early this season, Goodell fined New England coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and docked the team $250,000 and a first-round draft pick after the Patriots were accused of videotaping New York Jets defensive coaches as they signaled to players.

On Saturday, the Boston Herald reported that an unidentified source said a member of the Patriots' video staff taped the St. Louis Rams' last walkthrough before they played in the 2002 Super Bowl. The Patriots beat the favored Rams the next day 20-17 for their first NFL title.

Specter said he questioned why Matt Walsh, who did video work for the Patriots during that time, was not interviewed as part of the investigation.

Specter said he believes there were holes in Goodell's investigation of the allegations and plans to call him Monday.

"The integrity of football is very, very important, and it's especially important in the context of the special status which the NFL enjoys from their antitrust exemption," Specter said. "They have a duty to be sure that there is integrity."

1. C'mon now. It's against league rules. It's not even something like steroids where you can at least cite that they are illegal.

2. Does the NFL even have an antitrust exemption? They do for the purpose of negotiating a nationwide television contract, but that's it.

I think it's part of his re-election campaign.

Except that he's not up for re-election this term.

They're always up for re-election. If he can get the average Pennslvania football fan to vote he'll be a lock next time his seat his up for grabs. Of course, maybe I'm giving too much credit to the average Pennsylvania football fan by assuming they know how to find their way to the voting booth.

Guest Blue Man Czech

If you guys are so smart, then why do you keep re-electing Ted Kennedy? Fuck off; nobody here likes you.

I think a lot of people, in a rush to defend their precious Sunday diversion, fail to realize that if this is really about the NFLNet/Comcast imbroglio, which I don't think it is, that the cable companies are on our side here, inasmuch as they don't want to pay the NFL's high carriage fee to put a low-interest network on basic cable, making the consumers pay more, upsetting the consumers. The NFL is being way too pushy with its network here, and I think the carriers are gonna win out in the end here. But come on now. Arlen is one of the good guys in this party. Cut him some slack, Jack.

Fuck off; nobody here likes you.

You're a really angry person aren't you?

I'd wager he's about as angry as you are retarded.

But that's probably understating your retardation.

Guest Blue Man Czech

No, I think my anger is directly proportionate to his retardation. I bottle up a lot of rage.

Well, there is the Pennsylvania football fan crack which is dangerous. (I'm from PA for one, and though I'm not a particularly big NFL fan I know several knowledgeable fans.) It is hard to believe a politician's first motive is not re-election, but considering Specter wins easily once he escapes the primary and he'll be 80 when his term expires, this is an odd way to approach P.R.

The espn article did not even mention Spygate, just the NFL/Direct TV issue. With billions of dollars and corporates in the mix, it is natural that some politicians would get involved.