TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Cro-Cop cut by UFC

So yeah, this will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in a long time. From Mirko's website....

Posted: 12.02.2008 Tuesday

I'm off to Japan!

I'm off to Tokyo!

A big announcement will come straight from Japan tomorrow (February 13).

When the official part is done I'll be able to provide more information about everything,

and believe me, I have many things to say.

What you could easily guess by now is that I won't be retiring.

I'll keep on fighting, it's my life, it's what I do.

Whether or not he'll be returning to K1 as a kickboxer or signing with Hero*s remains to be seen.

He'll be going to neither. He'll be going to DREAMS, the joint venture that came out of Yarrenoka. It basically means he's going back to PRIDE.

This is really best for everyone involved. Even if Mirko started racking off wins in UFC, he'd be damaged goods and likely have to take a pay cut.

In Japan? He won't have to take any kind of pay cut. Mirko could never win another fight in his career, and he'll always be a star to the Japanese.

In the end, Mirko's UFC stay was a disapointment, but going 1-2 isn't the most godawful thing in history. It's just coming off one of the greatest years he's ever had, it looks much worse by comparison. There's still plenty of freelancer heavyweights Mirko can fight in DREAMS to rebuild, or call it a career with.

I'm not 100% sure that the title of this thread is accurate. From what I've read; they are hoping (both Dana and Mirko) to have him back in the UFC after he gets a few wins in DREAM. He even mentioned being "back in the cage" during his recent trash-talking session with Kongo.

“I have a message for Kongo. Listen, I though that you are a sportsman, a professional like everyone else in this sport. You were lucky enough to fight against me during the deepest crisis of my career. You probably ate a lot of vegetables and potatoes to look like that? I’ll be back in the cage and I hope you will be in the opposite corner. Then we’ll see for how long you’ll be able to talk.”

That was in response to Kongo saying that Mirko needed "some juices" to be a winning fighter.

Kongo's really the fight that hurt Mirko...With Gonzaga, you could argue that if Mirko even thought a high kick was within the realm of possibility, he wouldn't have gotten nailed. That's taking out of account how easily Gonzaga got Mirko down earlier in the fight though.

There's no excuse for the Kongo loss though. He should have beat Kongo within an inch of his life.