TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Boxer vs. Wrestler Matches

With Mayweather/Show on the horizon, I thought it might be worthwhile to track down some of the other famous "boxer vs. wrestler" bouts in history. The two most famous I think were Antonio Inoki/Muhammad Ali, and Chuck Wepner/Andre the Giant. Both were part of the same promotion, albeit on different continents. Ali/Inoki was a farce, but Wepner/Andre became an iconic piece of wrestling history.

I know there's a ton more out there.

Ali/Inoki might have been a farce to American fans, but in Japan, that was the fight that become an iconic piece of wrestling history, and is one of the famous fights in the history of Japan and a forerunner of modern MMA.

Ali/Inoki might have been a farce to American fans, but in Japan, that was the fight that become an iconic piece of wrestling history, and is one of the famous fights in the history of Japan and a forerunner to MMA.

In stature or the match itself? I think everyone recognizes that the match was dull at best. I do believe it would be famous in Japan, no doubt.

Ali/Inoki might have been a farce to American fans, but in Japan, that was the fight that become an iconic piece of wrestling history, and is one of the famous fights in the history of Japan and a forerunner to MMA.

In stature or the match itself? I think everyone recognizes that the match was dull at best. I do believe it would be famous in Japan, no doubt.

It might not have been the first Wrestler vs. Boxer fight, but it's the most famous and is probably the most historic when it comes to talking about the Wrestler vs. Boxer debate, regardless of how bad it really was. The fact it was so bad just made it more memorable, and anyone was around when it happened is bound to have heard of it, even if they didn't watch it; it's like the 70's version of Hogan vs. Andre on NBC.

The match, at least in Japan, with the most famous boxer in the world fighting the most famous wrestler in the entire country, is widely considered to be the forerunner of MMA, and when the history of MMA is talked about in Japan, it's always brought up. While to American fans it was a farce, it really was the first famous fight between different disciplines.

Leon Spinks held the FMW Heavyweight title in Japan for a couple months in 1992, long after his ultrabrief boxing heyday. Mick Foley mentions in one of his books, a match Spinks had with Onita that was so bad it caused a riot.

Joe Louis had a brief wrestling career after he retired from boxing. Max Baer also briefly wrestled after retiring from boxing. Perhaps the most successful boxer turned wrestler wass former World Heavyweight Champion, Primo Carnera, who was one of the biggest draws in wrestling in the late 40s and 50s.

Not to mention the many incidents where boxers served in non-wrestling capacities at wrestling events (guest referee spots, etc)

Read that Jersey Joe Walcott took on Lou Thesz in some wrestler vs boxer matches.

Remember reading about Leon Spinks wrestling in Japan. Didn't he form some kind of partnership there with the original Sheik.

Butterbean vs. Bart Gunn

This was a legit boxer vs. boxer contest, but it has its place in this discussion.

Johnny B Badd fought Arn Anderson in a "Wrestler vs. Boxer Match" at Uncensored 95... remember that piece of shit show???

Didn't Gorilla Monsoon and Ali have a confrontation?

Edit: Oops missed it earlier in the thread.

Ali wrestled Kenny Jay or one of the other AWA jobbers leading to the Inoki match. Howard Cossell did commentary burying the scripted nonsense. Dick the Bruiser, Vince MCMahon, Verne Gagne, and Freddie Blassie were all involved around ringside. (Blassie was with Ali, Dick was coaching the jobber, Vince announced IIRC)

Ali actually executed a back breaker IIRC