5. Moreno Valley Mattitude

6. Oakland Oaks

7. Ohio Hellraisers

8. "Bronx" "Bombers"

9. Woodside Clippers

10. Salisbury Indians

11. Hillsdale Daisies

12. Montreal Royals

The draft is serpentine. Would anyone object to moving the draft up to next Wednesday or Thursday?

Either day works fine. I'll be having my upper wisdom teeth (at least one anyway) yanked on Wednesday so I'll be sure to provide much hilarity on draft day.

Think twice about that. When I had a tooth pulled, I just wanted to bury my head for the rest of the day.

Either day works fine. I'll be having my upper wisdom teeth (at least one anyway) yanked on Wednesday so I'll be sure to provide much hilarity on draft day.

Think twice about that. When I had a tooth pulled, I just wanted to bury my head for the rest of the day.

I've already had the bottom two pulled so I've been through the experience before. I don't remember it being that bad afterwards (I distinctly remember getting home and spitting blood into the sink and thinking it was the coolest thing ever).

If I really feel shitty, I'll just pre-rank my players the night before just in case.

Pain killer humor aside, I'm going with the Thursday the 13th as the new draft date, still at 9:00 PM EST/6:00 PM PST.

Next tip for the game, injury ratings. When you view the Player Set Browser each position player as an injury rating from 0 to 4 which pretty much breaks down like this:

0: Player will never get injured, if you have them in your starting line up they will play all 162 games. Only seven players have this rating including Don Mattingly and, shockingly, Cal Ripken.

1: Player will rarely suffer an injury and never for an extended period of time. Players with this rating will never miss more than three games in a row and are good bets to play 150+ games if you have them in your regular line up. The majority of the players have this rating.

2: Player will sometimes be injured and probably a good idea to have a halfway decent backup for this player if they are a starter. Note most catchers have this rating.

3: Player will frequently get hurt and really can't be relied on for more than 100 games. Not too many players have this rating but a couple of good ones do including Paul Molitor and Lance Parrish.

4: Avoid at all costs as they will be out of the line up more than they are in it. Only three players have this rating, one of them being Pete Rose.

Players with a 2 injury rating or higher can miss up to a maximum of 15 games in a row due to injury.

Now for pitchers, they have no injury rating but they can get hurt. This is one thing I don't like about Strat-O-Matic is that pitcher injuries can be very random.

Here's a question for you, Bored. How are players who had limited at bats (i.e. a guy with 114 AB hitting .283/.375/.411) treated? Like, if you draft such a player and play him for 400+ AB, will he put up comparable numbers over the season or will they be drastically different (i.e. .259/.341/.376)?

On the computer version of Strat-O-Matic there's an option that can be put in place to prevent a player who didn't play much in a particular year from being overused while replaying that season. It appears there is nothing on this Sporting News version to prevent this so I believe it is possible to have a player who say had only 200 plate appearances in 1986 and have them be an everyday player. Now it has been my experience that with Strat that it will mimic real life in some ways where a player with big numbers in a small amount of playing time will typically regress to the mean when they are given more playing time but it doesn't happen all the time either.

I did notice that they didn't include every single player from 1986 so they selectively took out some players who had ridiculous rate stats in very small amounts of playing time. I'll come up with some examples later as right now I'm sick and am gonna go pass out for a while.

Referring to my previous post, one player who was not included was Kevin Seitzer as that year in only 116 plate appearances he hit .323/.440/.448. I think part of the reason why they chose not include him, and leads to my next tip about the game, is his balance rating.

The balance rating (labeled "BAL" on the Player Set Browser) refers to the player's platoon split. They range from 9R to 9L. A player with a 9R rating kills righties but is relatively useless against lefties and vice versa for a player with 9L rating. Players with an E balance rating hit/pitch evenly against both righties and lefties. Seitzer's card in 1986 had a 1R rating so if they had included him a team could take advantage of his great rate stats with a small sample size and use him as an everyday player. Now they did not eliminate every player who played great in a relative small amount of paying time but it seems the majority of them have very large platoon splits. An example is Johnny Grubb, a DH/OF for the Tigers, who hit .333/.412/.590 in 243 plate appearances, with only 15 plate appearances against left handed pitchers and he has a balance rating of 8R. So if you draft Grubb and try to play him everyday he certainly won't come anywhere close to his .333/.412/.590 line as he'll do nothing against left handed pitchers.

Just a reminder the draft is Thursday at 9:00 PM EST/6:00 PM PST.

Let me run through a few more things I haven't covered. In the Player Set Browser for pitchers you'll see a category "End." which is for endurance. For example you'll see Bob Ojeda has a S7* endurance rating. The S stands for Starter and the number is his endurance rating and for starters they range from 5 to 9 and for relievers they range from 1 to 4. The asterisk on his rating means that he is capable of pitching on three days rest if needed. No starter in the set has 9 endurance rating and eight have an 8 endurance rating which includes Roger Clemens and Dwight Gooden. Also should note when it comes to relievers, you do not have draft a true closer to be your closer as you can assign any reliever to be your closer.

I would strongly suggest downloading the Excel file for the Player Set Browser because in that file you can see which players can play multiple positions. If a player played even just one game at a position in 1986 he has a rating for that position but be careful not draft someone out of position and expect to start them like George Brett who played two games as shortstop in '86 but has 4e48 defensive rating (see the post earlier in the thread for a breakdown on defense ratings) at short.

One final thing, ignore the salaries listed in the Player Set Browser as that is for auto draft leagues which have a salary cap and there is no cap for live draft leagues.

Im going to need to waiver wire a SS since they only guy I can use at SS has an E44 rating, but other than that:

Lineup:

1 Eric Davis LF

2 Johnny Ray 2B

3 Buddy Bell 3B

4 Joe Carter 1B

5 Dave Winfield DH

6 Dave Henderson CF

7 empty for SS?

8 Don Slaught C (vs Lefties, for Righties I'll use Gedman)

9 Cory Snyder RF

Rotation

Valenzuela

Hershiser

Welch

Browning

Dixon

Closer

Lee Smith

Oakland Oaks...YOU'RE NEXT..er..FIRST!

One cool feature I didn't think would included is you can set a depth chart for your line ups.

Please note although you have until 10:00 PM EST/7:00 PM PST on Monday to set your line ups, rotations, and manager settings you only have until Midnight EST/9:00 PM PST on Sunday to set your ballpark so don't forget. I would like everyone who hasn't to announce their ballpark in this thread as to avoid two people having the same park.

Here's who have already put in claims for these stadiums:

Oakland - Oakland Coliseum

Boston - Fenway Park

Salisbury - Memorial Stadium

Montreal - Olympic Stadium

Anchorage - Fulton County Stadium

Ohio - Cleveland Stadium

Woodside - Yankee Stadium

I chose Yankee Stadium. You can't take the park away from me, I arranged my entire draft around it.

I mean, not to be picky but it's not in the rules that two teams can't use the same park. I have four lefties in my starting rotation.

Thanks. I decided to go with the Astrodome. Two of my starters allowed a combined 90 HRs in '86. Not in the Astrodome, maybe.

EDIT: Ok, now it's Comiskey Park.

Guest Smues
I can't be the only one who forgot about the draft tonight, can I?

Anyway I chose Dodger Stadium.

Nope. I completely spaced it too.

Thanks. I decided to go with the Astrodome. Two of my starters allowed a combined 90 HRs in '86. Not in the Astrodome, maybe.

EDIT: Ok, now it's Comiskey Park.

Damn you... Oh well. I am picking it to, if I can.

I didn't forget about the draft, but I wasn't home.