TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

Grand Slams in the WWE

Couldn't tell ya, but I guess to Punk's character the ECW title really means something. With that title, they run a fine line of trying to make it look important when it's not but not making wrestlers look foolish for wanting to fight for it. A 24 man battle royal seems to fit that line - a big (in the literal sense) match on a big show involving wrestlers who just weren't good enough to do anything else of importance, but it's actually being pushed on Raw and SmackDown with "How can anyone eliminate Khali!?".

And I don't actually consider the existing IC and US titles to have the lineage that most do. To me they began in 2003 when Christian won the IC title in the battle royal at Judgment Day and Eddie Guerrero won the US title at Vengeance.

Nonsense. Just because it was inactive after HHH won it in October 2002 to May 2003 doesn't mean that it loses it's lineage.

By that reasoning the WWE title dates back to September 2002 since it was merged with the WCW / World title (and by "World title" I mean what they were calling it from November - December 2001, not the current world title - let's not turn this thread into that unsolvable argument) in December 2001, only to be unmerged and become the WWE title once more.

And because I love arguing my own points, the counter argument to that would be that the current WWE title never stopped existing and the only reason it became "disputed" was because Bischoff made a second world title. You see my point though, right?

Going inactive in itself? No. Getting merged in with other titles? Yes.

The IC title was never merged into another title - other titles (Euro, Hardcore, WCW US) were merged into it and then became inactive.

By that reasoning the WWE title dates back to September 2002 since it was merged with the WCW / World title (and by "World title" I mean what they were calling it from November - December 2001, not the current world title - let's not turn this thread into that unsolvable argument) in December 2001, only to be unmerged and become the WWE title once more.

And because I love arguing my own points, the counter argument to that would be that the current WWE title never stopped existing and the only reason it became "disputed" was because Bischoff made a second world title. You see my point though, right?

But according to wwe.com WCW Title History section:

Chris Jericho

Dec. 9, 2001

Chris Jericho made sports-entertainment history by becoming the first Undisputed Champion. First, Y2J defeated The Rock to win the WCW Championship, and later that night, he pinned Steve Austin to win the WWE Championship.

What gives? So WWE is once again erasing history and it's always been the WCW title Jericho unified them?

Isn't the Big Show only a WWE Tag Team, and IC title away from having held all the major belts.

WWE, World Heavyweight, ECW, World Tag Team with Kane right?, US Title

I think he and Undertaker had a short WWF World Tag Title reign in the Summer of 1999.

Isn't the Big Show only a WWE Tag Team, and IC title away from having held all the major belts.

WWE, World Heavyweight, ECW, World Tag Team with Kane right?, US Title

I think he and Undertaker had a short WWF World Tag Title reign in the Summer of 1999.

He was talking about the SmackDown Tag Team Championship, though I don't see how it would really be necessary to win both. And if we are going to consider the US Championship, in lieu of the European Championship, then that would make Ric Flair a sort of Grand Slam Champion.

But according to wwe.com WCW Title History section:

Chris Jericho

Dec. 9, 2001

Chris Jericho made sports-entertainment history by becoming the first Undisputed Champion. First, Y2J defeated The Rock to win the WCW Championship, and later that night, he pinned Steve Austin to win the WWE Championship.

What gives? So WWE is once again erasing history and it's always been the WCW title Jericho unified them?

At the risk of starting the 100th "The Smackdown title and WCW title are the same!" argument, the WCW title / World title I mentioned above WERE the same title with the same lineage, so yes, it was the WCW title Jericho won and unified. Vince just did a promo saying WCW was dead, he won the war, and the belt would not be called the WCW title anymore, hence "world title".

The thing is, they can say whatever they want, but it doesn't make it true. WWE makes dozens of claims every year pertaining to shows, titles, wrestlers, etc that we just blink twice and go "Uhhh yeah well not really..." Look at the ECW title they "resurrected". How is it the same title when Rhino burned the actual title in a trash can? But we don't really question that. We consider the ECW title that Chavo is carrying around THE ECW title.

The thing is, they can say whatever they want, but it doesn't make it true. WWE makes dozens of claims every year pertaining to shows, titles, wrestlers, etc that we just blink twice and go "Uhhh yeah well not really..." Look at the ECW title they "resurrected". How is it the same title when Rhino burned the actual title in a trash can? But we don't really question that. We consider the ECW title that Chavo is carrying around THE ECW title.

You can't really use that logic.. that way, the IC title had a brand new lineage when Austin threw it in the river.

"SmackDown world title celebrates five years... with a legacy going back 6 decades".

The ECW Title situation gets a pass because whether or not Rhino had the physical belt, WWE owned the intellectual property associated with it including the lineage. Now I'm getting into a "separate universe" argument but what the Rhino character does in TNA has no bearing on the canon taking place in current day ECW.

I guess. I'm just going to stop now. I feel like I have valid points but I can't argue against you guys' points because they are valid as well. I do maintain that the ECW title is more important than the IC or US title in terms of the current booking.

Guest ForumPro

I have to point out one fact that a lot of people missed in this discussion of lineagial particulars.

It should say "Grand Slams in the WWE."

Guest ForumPro

I have to point out one fact that a lot of people missed in this discussion of lineagial particulars.

It should say "Grand Slams in the WWE."

I guess. I'm just going to stop now. I feel like I have valid points but I can't argue against you guys' points because they are valid as well. I do maintain that the ECW title is more important than the IC or US title in terms of the current booking.

I completely agree. It is the focus of a TV show, where the IC and US titles are more of a prop. I would say that the former are more prestigious though.

How about a Raw Triple Crown and a Smackdown Triple Crown. The ECW title is by itself and the CW title is defunct. So each brand has a world, secondary, and tag championship. Any wrestlers that were considered Grand Slam before the split can still be referred to as such, and it would have the same sort of "legacy" that being a Brand Triple Crown Champ would be now.

So...

1. You can be a WWF Grand Slam Champ by having won the World, IC, Tag, and Euro titles.

2. You can be a WCW Grand Slam Champ by having won the World, US, Tag, and TV titles.

3. The Hardcore and CW championships don't count toward the status due to their niche rosters.

4. You can be a Raw Triple Crown Champ by having won the World Championship on Raw (or having the World Championship and being drafted to Raw), IC, and Raw Tag.

5. You can be a Smackdown Triple Crown Champ by having won the World Championship on Smackdown (or having the World Championship and being drafted to SD), US, and SD Tag.

6. If you won any title....WWF World, WCW World (now SD Championship - I don't care what you say), IC, WCW US, or WWF or WCW Tag...before Survivor Series 2001, then those championship reigns count under the Triple Crown. If you won the title during the InVasion, it still counts toward whatever brand's Triple Crown it is on now.

7. Should the current IC or US champions switch brands, the Triple Crown would change (so someone that has won the US title on Smackdown but not the IC title could not win the SD Triple Crown until they won the IC title).

8. Should someone win all six championships (which right now I think is only Edge) then they can be called the "Double Triple Crown Champion" or something similar.

Edit: 6a. If you won the Undisputed Championship (so...Jericho, HHH, Hogan, Undertaker, Rock, and Brock) then you technically held both World Championships and it counts for both brands Triple Crowns now. Only Jericho really benefits from it, as he hasn't won the WWF/E championship any other way, but was a WCW champ during the InVasion). If he would win the US title he'd be second only to Edge as to have held all six Brand Championships. Brock would also benefit, because he still technically won both titles before becoming SD Exclusive and having the WCW/Current SD World Championship stripped from him and handed to HHH.

What if Rey wins the US title... Would you count him as a Grand Slam champion? World Heavyweight Title, Tag Titles X3(Edge, Batista, and Eddy), U.S. Title, and CW title...

What if Rey wins the US title... Would you count him as a Grand Slam champion? World Heavyweight Title, Tag Titles X3(Edge, Batista, and Eddy), U.S. Title, and CW title...

Not the CW title. Maybe if he would have won the TV Title back in the day. Rey also won the Tag Titles with RVD and won the WCW Tag Titles with 3 guys as well. Rey has actually held tag titles with more people than Kane.