TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

The OaO Gwar Thread

GWAR_pic.jpg

This band dominated my pre-teen, tween, and teen years. Here's an overview:

Hell-O-Shoddy in quality. Band had not yet found their voice. Song about fucking dog was good. As was "Rock and Roll Partytown," which still pops into my head to this day. "Rock and fucking roll uh huh uh huh YEAH." Accompanying video, the name of which escapes me, was ultimately unsatisying.

Scumdogs of the Universe-Fucking metal. The phrase " motherfucking suckadickadickalog" sometimes occurs to me. Had the game show song. Also "Sick of You." Accompanying video "Tour De Scum" may have had more impact on my still-developing brain than any other artwork in any medium. Perhaps the greatest of all Gwar albums.

America Must Be Destroyed-Something of a letdown after previous album. Few moments of brilliance, such as "Have You Seen Me?" Accompanying video "Phallus in Wonderland" was not as good as its title would suggest.

The Road Behind EP-Mostly worthless, save for the unbelievably brilliant title track. Which is also available on the LP mentioned above.

This Toilet Earth-Fucking loved this album. Cool horns on first song. Run of thoroughly listenable songs to begin the 2nd half. Hilarious liner notes. I used to know all the words to the "Skulhedface" song. Speaking of which, another dud on the video front.

Ragnarok- Total garbage. Amusing liner notes. Album was some kind of pussified nonsense. "Think You Oughta Know This" introduced me to the word "halitosis." Accompanying video taught me the correct spelling of the word "rendezvous" but little else.

Carnival of Chaos- Purchased as I was beginning to branch out into faggoty snob rock. Was perfect in that sense because it's their least metal album. I remember liking this one a bunch. "Penguin Attack." Something about a scallop boat. If there's an accompanying video, I never saw it.

I haven't heard anything beyond that.

I remember that I also purchased an X-Cops album (pretty lame save for the "Highway Star" cover) and an album by the original Beefcake the Mighty's band Kepone (surprisingly good).

After making this thread, I decided to d/l Scumdogs of the Universe. It's not as good as it was when I was 14. I lost interest quickly. In a mood to rock, I d/led the first Van Halen album. Much better.

I'm talking to myself. The OaO Gwar Thread is to become my blog. Consider this my swibitie.

I *think* that's We Kill Everything, which was released after my conversion to fag rock and thus never listened to by me. Too busy cranking my yank to OK Computer back in '98.

GWAR gets me to banging my head pretty good. My buddy Matt told me that they kill people at their conserts. They like ter 'em apart and shit and feed 'em to the World Maggot. I think that's pretty bitchin. I don't know how they get away with that shit. Do them people sign like a contract or something? Cuz I remember Whitesnake did a show and killed a bunch of people and they ain't get nothing but shit for it. Metal Ed ain't no kinda genieus or nothing, but I know a double standard when I sees one.

Yes, Allmusic confirms that the album I was talking about was indeed We Kill Everything. Beyond the three songs I mentioned, there's a piano ballad, a boring instrumental, and absolutely nothing else that I can remember. It's been a few years since I last heard the album, but even as a teenager I didn't find it to be terribly funny.

What are you trying to prove, Coat? I mean, fuck. You're already so fucking cool that I can't even stand it. How much cooler can you be?

Meat Sandwich has one of the best videos around. GWAR stomping around a city, trying to read a map, cannibalism, Jesus getting schooled. I love it.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think the song TCIMF was thinking of is Saddam-A-Go-Go, which JWest mentioned in the next post, but not in a "that song you're thinking of is..." kinda way. Odd.

Gwar were completely upstaged by El Duce when they appeared on Jerry Springer. They seemed almost apologetic about their schtick. Lame.

El Duce was subsequently =-pwned-= by a train. Gwar wins again.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You didn't like X-Cops? I like that album more than anything Gwar did.

15 posts into a GWAR thread and Corey Lazarus hasn't posted. I'm disappointed in him, he's losing his game face.

It's called "work."

I fucking love GWAR. LOVE 'EM. Dave Brockie is one of the few frontmen I can think of that says so much without saying anything. He is to rock music what Trey Parker and Matt Stone are to sitcoms: complete nonsense, but there's actually a few serious undertones to everything. Here's my rankings of Gwar's LPs, favorite to least, not including Live From Mt. Fuji since it's a live album.

Scumdogs of the Universe

This Toilet Earth

Beyond Hell

War Party

Violence Has Arrived

We Kill Everything

America Must Be Destroyed

Hell-O

Ragnarok

Carnival of Chaos

Favorite 20 songs (song title - album):

"The Salamanizer" - Scumdogs

"Slaughterama" - Scumdogs

"Meat Sandwich" - Ragnarok

"Saddam-A-Go-Go" - Toilet

"Penguin Attack" - Carnival

"Song of Words" - Violence

"Immortal Corruptor" - Violence

"Tormentor" - Beyond

"I Love The Pigs" - Beyond

"The One Who Shall Not Be Named" - Beyond

"A Short History of the End of the World" - Kill

"Baby Raper" - Kill

"Obliteration of Flab Quarv 7" - Toilet

"I'm In Love (With a Dead Dog)" - Hell-O

"Bring Back the Bomb" - War

"War Party" - War

"A Womb With a View" - War

"The Private Pain of Tekno Destrukto" - Carnival

"Hate Love Songs" - Carnival

"The Performer" - Kill

Gwar were completely upstaged by El Duce when they appeared on Jerry Springer. They seemed almost apologetic about their schtick. Lame.

Look up GWARs appearance on the Joan Rivers Show. Hilarious.

Re: Gwar on Springer

I don't think Gwar were upstaged at all. Duce appeared and was an uncharismatic douche, thus not putting over that most of what was said was a joke. Unless it was all meant to be taken seriously, meaning I'm glad he was hit by a fucking train. On the contrary, Oderus, Beefcake, and Slymenstra all came up and perfectly put over that Gwar was, is, and always will be a joke at the expense of the world around it. It also helped that Brockie has near-perfect delivery of every line and rolls with the punches so damn perfectly that it's hard not to love him.