TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Perfection

Announcing Team Discussion

What the hell happened to Tenay, anyway? I remember looking forward to his contributions whenever WCW wanted to educate its fans on their import wrestlers. It's like the same thing that happened to Tony Schiavone after the Monday Night Wars- the company prescribed him "retarded pills" and made sure to stand their and watch him swallow them just before they sent him out on commentary.

Yes. I really liked Schiavone prior to the MNW. His stuff in classic WCW (pre-Turner) was also pretty damn good.

So many things to blame, so little time.

Sometimes it feels like Tenay & West are doing commentary with a tape delay. It's the only explanation I've got as to why they tell you about what JUST HAPPENED.

Tenay...I didn't watch WCW after the mid 90s so I can't say "He was better in WCW". He currently comes across as a feeble attempt to combine Gorilla Monsoon's wrestling experience and anatomical references with Jim Ross' emotional investment and storytelling, because everybody knows Don West brings neither to the table. Somebody has to tell you what's going on, and somebody has to tell you why it's going on. Tenay has to do both while West just calls what he sees because he doesn't know any better.

The script...there's blatantly reading the script, and then there's taking what the script says and working with it to make it your own. Whether they're instructed to just read it or if they just choose to, I don't know. The script isn't all that good, so it leads me to believe that they just choose to read the script rather than try to take "Roode def. Young in 7:43" and improv as they go along.

Don West....should be selling merchandise, not wrestling maneuvers. Put a former wrestler in the announce booth with Tenay.

I watched Bound For Glory 07 on DVD last night and didn't have any problem with the commentary at all. I really don't think there's a single thing wrong with the way they call matches. They ruin other segments...but the matches I like. I like their enthusiasm. When Homicide hit his tope and banged on the announce table and high fived Don West? Yeah...I liked that too.